Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation
I am reconstructing a new house and am trying to save on GST. Does anyone has any suggestions or experience in managing this cost?

I think it is unavoidable. However, you can source for cheaper and high quality materials for lower prices.

I think it is unavoidable. However, you can source for cheaper and high quality materials for lower prices.

Thank you. I was told that some contractors can set up a separate company for the job so that no GST is chargeable. Have you heard of this?

Thank you. I was told that some contractors can set up a separate company for the job so that no GST is chargeable. Have you heard of this?

I think this will constitute tax evasion on the part of the company and IRAS can go after them. If the company becomes insolvent before the work is completed, it will not be good for you.

In any case, get the company to purchase a performance bond so that if the company go bust, you can still get back the contract sum and get another builder to carry on the work.

Check out several builders' pricing and quality before signing on the dotted line to award the contract. The one that set up a company to evade GST may not be cheaper than another which pays GST. When the contractor buys materials, beams, metal, sand, cement, titles, pipes, etc..., they have to pay GST for them and the cost will still be passed on to you. At the end of the day, you still cannot avoid paying GST entirely. Lets hope that the govt will waive or reduce GST in the light of the economic crisis.

Edited by leechaorui

I think this will constitute tax evasion on the part of the company and IRAS can go after them. If the company becomes insolvent before the work is completed, it will not be good for you.

In any case, get the company to purchase a performance bond so that if the company go bust, you can still get back the contract sum and get another builder to carry on the work.

Check out several builders' pricing and quality before signing on the dotted line to award the contract. The one that set up a company to evade GST may not be cheaper than another which pays GST. When the contractor buys materials, beams, metal, sand, cement, titles, pipes, etc..., they have to pay GST for them and the cost will still be passed on to you. At the end of the day, you still cannot avoid paying GST entirely. Lets hope that the govt will waive or reduce GST in the light of the economic crisis.

Thank you. Your advice is very helpful.

More tax avoidance than evasion, I think. The company can avoid GST registration by keeping annual turnover below $1mil. But this leaves an obvious a trail for the taxman to pursue if the same company directors keep registering small companies in the same trade in succession.

not pt saving the gst and run foul of the law.

the $1M is not a hard and fast rule, a biz can volunteer to be gst registered even if your annual turnover is <$1M. It all depends on where are your suppliers and customers. :D

More tax avoidance than evasion, I think. The company can avoid GST registration by keeping annual turnover below $1mil. But this leaves an obvious a trail for the taxman to pursue if the same company directors keep registering small companies in the same trade in succession.

only companies who registered with IRAS under GST ruling can collect GST lor

so there is no tax evasion if the company that isn't registered is providing the services