Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
dannywmp

Looking For Em Unit In Jurong West - Block 974/ 714

Hi,

I am new to this forum and is glad to know that so many EM lover out there...

Presently staying in 4 rm at Jurong West...and is thinking to upgrade to bigger unit...but with the 2 storey concept so EM is my choice.

I am used to my present location with Sport complex just next to my block and MRT station within 5 minutes walk. Most important it is near my son's Primary School and student care centre.

As such, my search of EM is confined to just this 2 blocks...974 Jurong West St 93 or 714 Jurong West St 71 which are both not too far from where I presently staying...

Anybody in this forum planning to sell their unit in this 2 block, kindly reply me an email or sms me at 81259873.

Thanks.... :D

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation
Hi,

I am new to this forum and is glad to know that so many EM lover out there...

Presently staying in 4 rm at Jurong West...and is thinking to upgrade to bigger unit...but with the 2 storey concept so EM is my choice.

I am used to my present location with Sport complex just next to my block and MRT station within 5 minutes walk. Most important it is near my son's Primary School and student care centre.

As such, my search of EM is confined to just this 2 blocks...974 Jurong West St 93 or 714 Jurong West St 71 which are both not too far from where I presently staying...

Anybody in this forum planning to sell their unit in this 2 block, kindly reply me an email or sms me at 81259873.

Thanks.... :D

There aren't many EMs for sale in the JW area at this juncture. The ones available are at St 42 or 41. However, let me warn you that the spalling concrete problems are real and sometimes hidden by all the nice decor in the sellers' house. Your nightmare begins if you intend to buy one.

For Blk 714, the sellers are asking for the roof ! Almost all are asking $40K and above COV. I know because I've been there to view the units. Therefore, don't get sucked in by the sales talk of the agents. Buy within your means.

Since you are staying in a 4rm flat, you should simply upgrade to a 5I or 5A within your St 91,92,93 area. The prices are more palatable and the floor area is big. Value for money as compared to the 5rms in St 61~65.

There aren't many EMs for sale in the JW area at this juncture. The ones available are at St 42 or 41. However, let me warn you that the spalling concrete problems are real and sometimes hidden by all the nice decor in the sellers' house. Your nightmare begins if you intend to buy one.

For Blk 714, the sellers are asking for the roof ! Almost all are asking $40K and above COV. I know because I've been there to view the units. Therefore, don't get sucked in by the sales talk of the agents. Buy within your means.

Since you are staying in a 4rm flat, you should simply upgrade to a 5I or 5A within your St 91,92,93 area. The prices are more palatable and the floor area is big. Value for money as compared to the 5rms in St 61~65.

Thanks for the great advice. Yes, I know there is not many EM around the area but elsewhere I will not consider.

I like EM because of the concept...as for the floor area, my present 4 rm is actually sufficient for my family of 3...

If by Oct. this year, I cannot source for a suitable unit, I will do a complete renovation to my existing unit...

Tats y I decide to source for a unit before putting my unit on sale.

Cheers :D

However, let me warn you that the spalling concrete problems are real and sometimes hidden by all the nice decor in the sellers' house. Your nightmare begins if you intend to buy one.

Hi, can u elaborate on the spalling concrete problems?

Hi, can u elaborate on the spalling concrete problems?

Most HDB units built in the early 80's during Teh Cheang Wan's time have this problem before he committed suicide. Areas in the west include Clementi, Bukit Batok, Jurong East and Jurong West. Jurong West Extension area is exempted because that's when pre-fab technology was used and that's why even though St 91...properties are over 20 years old, the concrete still looks and feels good.

Spalling concrete is a 'natural' process caused by the oxidation of metal within a concrete structure. This can happen if air pockets containing moisture is trapped during the construction phase. The moisture and air will cause the metal to rust. When metal rust (oxidation), it expands. Concrete with air pockets will start to crumble as if an internal volcano is about to erupt. If fact, it is some sort of mini-explosion within the concrete. Over time, patches will start falling off ceilings exacerbated by poor maintenance (not painting regularly).

A good example are flats with toilet metal frames. Have you noticed that the bottom edges would have rust off exposing the hollow concrete and possibly breaking a few wall tiles due to the expansion of metal during oxidation ?

Once you find a flat with spalling concrete problems, especially in the toilets, balconies and kitchens, no amount of repair by a HDB contractor will solve the problem. What they do is just localised arresting of the problem by preventing the rust from spreading with chemicals and then patching it up with cement. Over time another area will have the same problem because once spalling concrete starts, it will spread internally like a virus.

Many homes in the JW and JE areas look nice because of the false ceiling and paint job. The owners know the problem and are eager to sell their flats. HDB is clever to pass the buck to the owners to maintain. However, most surveyors don't even bother to highlight these major defects in their reports. A green-horn flat buyer will buy, renovate but discover to their horror in 5 years or earlier that they are occupying a unit that is worse than having termite infestation.

Most HDB units built in the early 80's during Teh Cheang Wan's time have this problem before he committed suicide. Areas in the west include Clementi, Bukit Batok, Jurong East and Jurong West. Jurong West Extension area is exempted because that's when pre-fab technology was used and that's why even though St 91...properties are over 20 years old, the concrete still looks and feels good.

I am pretty concern as i had also just brought a EM in Bukit Batok. My In-law are staying in a EM in JW it is a resales which they brought in year 2000. By now the unit would have been 23-4 years. But i do not see the issues as u mentioned. Is it a sure problem or it only happen to some unit? Can anythg be done to prevent such happening? And since it is a HDB technology, this doesnt mean it affect EM but all HDB in the area u mentioned right?

Edited by just4this

Scary.. my wall gonna topple?

heheh, u make it sound funny... :D Dun worry, we are nearby if that happen we will take care of each other familes.

heheh, u make it sound funny... :D Dun worry, we are nearby if that happen we will take care of each other familes.

Nice neighbour!

=D

I am pretty concern as i had also just brought a EM in Bukit Batok. My In-law are staying in a EM in JW it is a resales which they brought in year 2000. By now the unit would have been 23-4 years. But i do not see the issues as u mentioned. Is it a sure problem or it only happen to some unit? Can anythg be done to prevent such happening? And since it is a HDB technology, this doesnt mean it affect EM but all HDB in the area u mentioned right?

I believe that before you bought your unit, you would have inspected it like all would-be buyers do. If the unit had a false ceiling and you assumed the original HDB ceiling is good, then it is a case of ' time will tell'. If the unit came without false ceiling and there were no patches of ceiling touch-ups when you bought the unit, chances are, you have found a good conditioned EM. No worries...just maintain it by painting the ceiling of the toilets, kitchen and balcony twice a year.

Your in-laws staying in JW will see signs of spalling concrete, if not now, will soon see it in a few years time. It all depends on whether the problem is arrested early. If they did not notice anything amiss, then it is best to advise them to maintain the wet area ceilings, eg. bathrooms. Please note that the problems could be originating from the neighbour's unit above due to the waterproofing membrane deterioration or from your own in-law's unit affecting their neighbour below !

I believe that before you bought your unit, you would have inspected it like all would-be buyers do. If the unit had a false ceiling and you assumed the original HDB ceiling is good, then it is a case of ' time will tell'. If the unit came without false ceiling and there were no patches of ceiling touch-ups when you bought the unit, chances are, you have found a good conditioned EM. No worries...just maintain it by painting the ceiling of the toilets, kitchen and balcony twice a year.

Your in-laws staying in JW will see signs of spalling concrete, if not now, will soon see it in a few years time. It all depends on whether the problem is arrested early. If they did not notice anything amiss, then it is best to advise them to maintain the wet area ceilings, eg. bathrooms. Please note that the problems could be originating from the neighbour's unit above due to the waterproofing membrane deterioration or from your own in-law's unit affecting their neighbour below !

Hi,

Can you tell me whether those EM in st 72 and st 93 affected?

Hi,

Can you tell me whether those EM in st 72 and st 93 affected?

No, those are the good quality ones. They were built semi-prefab unlike those in St 41,42......

No, those are the good quality ones. They were built semi-prefab unlike those in St 41,42......

Hi there,

My family is looking for Ex Mansionette around Jurong area, which area would you recommend then??

How about those in Jurong East Ave 1, are they affected??

Please advise.

Thanks!

Hi there,

My family is looking for Ex Mansionette around Jurong area, which area would you recommend then??

How about those in Jurong East Ave 1, are they affected??

Please advise.

Thanks!

Hi,

Jurong East properties tend to command a higher premium than Jurong West. Personally, I don't know why but the valuation guys probably measured it being closer to the CBD !!

My mother-in-law stays along Jurong East Ave 1 in a 5-rm flat and had to patch up two spots in her kitchen due to spalling concrete 2 months ago. It costs her close to $500. Since the EMs were also built around the same time as her flat back in the early 80s, I leave you to conclude whether my warning in my earlier thread holds water.

My advice is : If you are going to spend $450K ~ $500K on a HDB property. Go for one without spalling concrete stories....Jurong West St 71 ~ 93 flats are better built if you are still looking for an EM within the Jurong area.