Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
ynove

To Ikea Or Not To Ikea? The Sofa Dilemma

People have probably talked about this in snippets of chats.

But I'm considering whether or not to get a 3-seater Ikea sofa - it's the Karlstad, Tylosand, Kramfos or the more expensive Stockholm. Considering both fabric and leather covers. Sample pix below.

I've been to many sofa stores recently, including Evov, Massimo, Air, XZQT, Lifestorey, Mondi, Furniture Warehouse, stores at IFC et al.

Some things to consider, pros and cons:

1) Quality and durability of Ikea sofas have always been debated. They start creaking, start giving way, rusting etc. But they also have 5-yr warranty. The Stockholm has 25 years of warranty. Still, do I want the hassle of changing sofas, calling up Ikea and all, should anything happen?

2) Price. A bit plus point. 3-seater in fabric: Karlstad $549, Tylosand $949, Kramfos $799, Stockholm $2295-2695. In leather, a bit more pricey.

3) Plywood/particleboard has been frowned upon. But lots of China-based manufacturers (I shall not name names here) use plywood, when I asked them about their materials. I've vaguely heard about particleboard gas emissions (?) - anyone heard the same?

4) Stockholm is touted as a high-end, high-quality and long lasting series. BUT i checked their materials. The sofas use plywood etc for the frame (similar to their usual sofas), with the exception of solid oak legs. Is Stockholm worth the money? It's close to $2k+ for a 3.5-seater.

5) Find Ikea's Karlstad especially comfortable. Not the sofa-bed model. After trying out sofas in the above-mentioned stores, though their designs score an A, comfort is lagging quite far behind.

Pls add your thoughts! Love to hear from other fellow sofa-hunters.

KARLSTAD

3174037009_136e379e27_b.jpgkarlstad_new.jpg

TYLOSAND

397558190_68a3575b8c.jpg

KRAMFOS

28143997_1.jpg

STOCKHOLM

stockholm.jpg

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

I too like Karlstad. Am considering the two seater.

Already got my 3 seater recliner from Cellini. 1500$ for full leather after 30% discount.

Stockholm not really worth it. For that price got lots of other options.

initially when i was sofa shopping, also considered IKEA sofa. i went and looked at the comfy white ones. only 2 seater at about $399. so we thought its all right but we didn't know that got other hidden costs. went and find the salesguy, he said oh,, for $399 will only get you the white colour. but we didn't wanted white! we wanted pink or other colours, have to top up money. delivery will also costs you another $50.00. so, in the end, we didn't buy becoz we have also heard from other friends and in this forum, that IKEA stuff doesn't last long.

got the black KLIPPAN as we couldn't find a sofa outside that we like and fit our living room (space constraint)

it's been a year and so far so gd....

end of the day, we didn't think much bout how lasting it'll be. we went wif our liking, budget and space....

got the black KLIPPAN as we couldn't find a sofa outside that we like and fit our living room (space constraint)

it's been a year and so far so gd....

end of the day, we didn't think much bout how lasting it'll be. we went wif our liking, budget and space....

I am thinking of buying a 4-seater black KLIPPAN, their old-school range. good to hear good review about it :)

I have a tylosand set, love it.

After 2 years some of the springs at the bottom fell out. We called Ikea, they sent a carpenter over within 3 working days, fixed it up with no questions asked.

After 3 years, we decided to change the covers to spruce things up a little, looks as good as new. Gotta love removable covers!