Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
Kaka23

Bosch Vs Black And Decker

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

how much is your budget? How frequent u plan to use it? If once in a while, think no point getting one that is too ex.. but one that is of enough power, at least 700W for concrete work. 850W and above lagi better

I currently using a 710W Black & Decker (B&D). So far so food. quite easy to go through my HDB wall concrete. Cost abt $150 and comes with a whole set of drill bits. Decent for home/occasional use. Makita also worth looking at. Used to use that before changing to B&D. Can consider DeWalt also (sister brand of B&D but for Pros).

I heard Bosch uses those quick-release mechanism, hence the drill-bit may be more ex than those normal chuck-key type.

However, the contactors I seen got use Bosch. So far have not came across any uses B&D.

If u have higher budget can consider HILTI also.. tried once. very shiok.. but a bit too ex

Edited by hawthorne

hi,

most professional I see around don't use B & D. Infact, I kinda only find them at Self-Fix and similar DIY shops for end users.

Used to own a Bosch drill, very reliable. Not all of them uses the quick release. They have those normal drill attachment as well.

Teck Chye

the thing is how much you want to spend on a drill. For myself, the drill will most likely be chucked into the storeroom, seeing daylight maybe less than 5 times in a year, hence, an in-expensive consumer class will be sufficient.

Of course, if you got more budget, go for those used by professionals. As always, the Wattage is important. No point getting a professional brand, but does not have enough power to drill through your walls

i suppose B&D is good enough for a diy user.......i've got a bosch set......using it for many years and it's been passed around family members for use.....so can say its quite heavily utilised...... :)

hawthorne

I thought the wattage means how fast it can drill and additional torque. Ie drill will 700W will take less time to do the drilling work then the 500W or 600W.

For concrete drilling, i always thought it should be the mechanism that count. Example a bosch rotary hammer definately can drill through concrete walls easily where as an impact drill will have a hard time going through concrete even though it is more than 700W

Well.. my budget is around 100 only.. is this suficient to get a decent drill that can use for household? What is the minimum wattage for home use?

Hi!

I just bought a Bosch Set about $150 last week.

My B&D drill died after drilling my toilet's wall tiles.

The tiles were too thick and hard, so my 10yr old B&D just gave up :~

Btw, I bought the GSB Professional 16RE, 701W, 1640rpm max.

Drilling is faster definitely.

The only downside is its colour is blue-green.

I just wished they could come in more colours!

Edited by newnyew

Hi!

I just bought a Bosch Set about $150 last week.

My B&D drill died after drilling my toilet's wall tiles.

The tiles were too thick and hard, so my 10yr old B&D just gave up :~

Btw, I bought the GSB Professional 16RE, 701W, 1640rpm max.

Drilling is faster definitely.

The only downside is its colour is blue-green.

I just wished they could come in more colours!

Does your Bosch drill comes will a sets of dripp bits, hammer, bit for screw driving, ...etc?

What was your wattage of your B&D previously? So this means higher wattage will only drill faster...

I kind of like the Bosch colour, it is nice and neat. Unlike B&D orange which looks dirty...

kaka23

Higher wattage means the drill will have more torque (the amt of turning force), hence, indirectly means you can finish the job faster.

A more complete picture will be u need a certain amount of torque to be able to drill in tough materials like concrete. Hence if u use a drill with insufficient power (hence insufficient torque), the drill will be unable to drive the drill bit into the wall. You will be wearing out the drill and the drill bit in the long run.

You are right that the hammer action is important, hence all drills that are meant to be used on concrete should comes with it.

I think for $100, you should be able to get a B&D (without the drill bits). Get the highest power you can afford, but based on personal experience, 500W seems too underpowered for drill through pre-fab concrete. For standard concrete, its quite ok.

What types of concrete you looking to drill through?

kaka23

Higher wattage means the drill will have more torque (the amt of turning force), hence, indirectly means you can finish the job faster.

A more complete picture will be u need a certain amount of torque to be able to drill in tough materials like concrete. Hence if u use a drill with insufficient power (hence insufficient torque), the drill will be unable to drive the drill bit into the wall. You will be wearing out the drill and the drill bit in the long run.

You are right that the hammer action is important, hence all drills that are meant to be used on concrete should comes with it.

I think for $100, you should be able to get a B&D (without the drill bits). Get the highest power you can afford, but based on personal experience, 500W seems too underpowered for drill through pre-fab concrete. For standard concrete, its quite ok.

What types of concrete you looking to drill through?

hawthorne,

i have a thight budget, and i like bosch. I went to bosch website and they are recomending GSB 10RE (500W) for home use and i am really interested to get 1. Of course if i got higher budget i will go for GSB 13RE (600W) or even 16RE (700W)

What is the difference btw pre-fab concrete and standard concrete. I am not sure what is the concrete at my HDB..

pre-fab is those concrete walls that are cast in the "factory". When building the flat, the contractor will transport this big piece of concrete and secure it to the skeleton of the flat.

standard concrete is where the contractor build those wooden frames to the skeleton and cast the concrete on the building site itself.

I think cannot really tell by just looking at it. I knew the type of concrete my flat uses by just observing how they built it before my flat was ready.

Budget-wise, try to get the most powerful u can afford lor. do not buy those unknown brands sold at the "buy-one-free-one" shops. Had a lot of bad experiences with those.

Just want to add....

somebody told me...

500w good for those mostly walls, if you look at the wide wall, thats the one. those in corners are not.

700w needed for those hard concrete foundations of the hdb, for example, the ceiling, the beams, those seemingly vertical beams making your flat stand and not fall to the side.

i found this forum by googling for 'bosch vs black and decker' as i am planning to buy too.

both at 150$.

my contractor told me bosch is more user-friendly.

guy at diy shop said bosch parts can easily be replaced while bd needs be replaced entirely if broken; i dont know if this is true.

but i think ill get a bosch based on what i know so far.