Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
garion

Recommendation For A/v Receiver And 5.1 Speakers

Hi GaaraOfTheSand,

I will be getting kef3005se soon too. So far I will be getting 3 sets together with 2 other forumers. Let me know if you wanna join in and nego for better deal. We probably will get it next weekend, let me know asap. Check your PM.

Any other wanna join in just give me a PM soon.

Yo Bros,

I also need advice for my first HTS setup too (70% movie: 30% music):)

Based on the standard speakers placement

4391004837_5b0d2077f0_m.jpg

I drafted out the setup for my house

4391004535_1280881b3f_m.jpg

The living rm dimension: Width 4.3m, Length 4.5m, Height 2.6m.

Rear speakers will be mounted near ceiling and front speakers will be at around ear level. There is a 0.6m partition between my living and dining room.

Selected equipments:

Speakers & Sub Woofer: KEF3005SE (5.1) (No plans to upgrade speakers in future)

Amplifier: DENON AVR1610/1910/2310

TV: FULL HD Panasonic VIERA TH50PY800H

Source: popcorn a200

Speaker Cables: Cord cambana for front speakers

Concerns:

Many claims that Denon 1910, 2310 have better audio processing over 1610. When I compared the 3 AVRs (http://www.usa.denon.com/ProductDetails/257.asp?compareitem=5011&compareitem=4858&compareitem=4865&imageField.x=56&imageField.y=18) many features in 1910 and 2310 are not required by me. I am more concern on what they claimed if the audio processing & POWER of 1610 is inferior for kef3005se speakers.

My Questions:

1) Any advice on my setup

2) Denon 1610 ($499, 75W) good enough for kef3005se? or should i get 1910 ($699, 90W) or 2310 ($1160, 105W) instead due to their power?

Thanks in advance! Smiley

Hi

The Denon2310 will have the sufficient power to drive your KEF3005. Your speakers placement are ok & make sure the centre

speaker is below the superb Panny plasma instead of above it.

I would like to comment why havent anyone been reading my postings? I wouldnt recommend Denon (messy manual & its a 6 ohm receiver)

for your KEF as I believe the KEF3005 is a 8ohm impedance speakers. Relative speaking, its takes a lot of power from the receiver to drive the speaker.

Why dont you go with my recommendation & audition the ONKYO or YAMAHA receiver? Both are 8 Ohm certified receivers.

Cheers

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation
haha sasay1980, you're from xtremeplace forum? Anyway saw your post too late... i've paid for my speakers yesterday already... thanks for the offer anyway. We should have a mass order forum here.

I shortlisted denon 2310 too for my room but finally got Marantz 6004 instead because most pp claimed that Marantz is better for music. Anway i'm not even a novice yet, but thought the rated output for 1910 and 1610 are 90w and 75w respectively which might not maximise the potential for 3005SE (power handling of 100w). Maybe vicenzo70 the guru has more insights.

Hi

Marantz 6004 is a superb receiver. Thums up to you. Very good if youre into music listening. Do ensure you have a good dedicated CD player.

Cheers

Hi

The Denon2310 will have the sufficient power to drive your KEF3005. Your speakers placement are ok & make sure the centre

speaker is below the superb Panny plasma instead of above it.

I would like to comment why havent anyone been reading my postings? I wouldnt recommend Denon (messy manual & its a 6 ohm receiver)

for your KEF as I believe the KEF3005 is a 8ohm impedance speakers. Relative speaking, its takes a lot of power from the receiver to drive the speaker.

Why dont you go with my recommendation & audition the ONKYO or YAMAHA receiver? Both are 8 Ohm certified receivers.

Cheers

Thanks for your reply.

I not only using it for movies. I heard ppl mentioned ONKYO have brighter sound which is not tat suitable for satalite speakers.

batpig adviced me to get 1610 if i don't require the additional features of 1910 and 2310. So confused. :S

Edited by sasay1980

Thanks for your reply.

I not only using it for movies. I heard ppl mentioned ONKYO have brighter sound which is not tat suitable for satalite speakers.

batpig adviced me to get 1610 if i don't require the additional features of 1910 and 2310. So confused. :S

Hi could i check how much is 1910 and 2310? I was thinking of getting the kef3005 but my uncle (my main sponsor for the system) thinks it looks kiddy.

Any one out there could recommend me a system budget around 2.5- 3k or a bit more ..

My uncle is asking me to buy BOSE lifestyle 18 which cost around 3.5k. He just likes it neat/sleek design and easy or virtually nothing to set up. he loves denon amp but he doesn't know which speakers to go with.

I need to convince him not to get the bose for me. Pls give me some advice and recommendation.

Hi could i check how much is 1910 and 2310? I was thinking of getting the kef3005 but my uncle (my main sponsor for the system) thinks it looks kiddy.

Any one out there could recommend me a system budget around 2.5- 3k or a bit more ..

My uncle is asking me to buy BOSE lifestyle 18 which cost around 3.5k. He just likes it neat/sleek design and easy or virtually nothing to set up. he loves denon amp but he doesn't know which speakers to go with.

I need to convince him not to get the bose for me. Pls give me some advice and recommendation.

1910 ($699), 2310 ($1160). Kef3005se is definitely not kiddy. Go audition loh.

B*SE many audioholics says it is not value for money.

Join in our "mass" purchase bro.

Edited by sasay1980

Hi

Kindly check with your uncle which brand of HTS systems is not kiddy looking? KEF looks futuristic but BOSE (Buy Other Sound System) design looks

antique. Also do check with your uncle would you want to pay $3.5K for a system that dont support HD format? (HD master audio & Tru HD)

A simple set of DefTech Pro800 + a receiver cost less than $3K & supports the latest HD audio. And personally, Bluray is leading the way. I see more & more

people are dumping their Region 1 DVDs at rock bottom prices & start collecting Blurays.

If you have $3.5K to burn, ask your uncle to visit the B&W shop at lavender street. Then you ask him to make comparison with Bose.

He loves Denon is because......?

Cheers

Thanks for your reply.

Hi

I have both Onkyo & yamaha receivers side by side & for comparison (rather than hearsay) Yamaha sound brighter while Onkyo

sounds warmer. There you have it.

Btw, who is batpig? I think his advise is ill-advised.

Firstly its not about features though the Denon 2310 has the hi bit video conversion (whatever that it) which the 1610 dont possess.

Onkyo uses the superb Faroudja chipset while Yamaha uses the Burr-Brown DAC chipset which is quite good for music.

Lastly, its all about power. KEF3005 needs at least 100W power handling so you need a comparable receiver for that which in

this case, the Denon2310.

But before you plonk into Denon, do audition with the Onkyos 707/807 or Yamaha 1065. Then if you tell me Denon2310 is better

I have nothing else to say.

Cheers

Hi

Kindly check with your uncle which brand of HTS systems is not kiddy looking? KEF looks futuristic but BOSE (Buy Other Sound System) design looks

antique. Also do check with your uncle would you want to pay $3.5K for a system that dont support HD format? (HD master audio & Tru HD)

A simple set of DefTech Pro800 + a receiver cost less than $3K & supports the latest HD audio. And personally, Bluray is leading the way. I see more & more

people are dumping their Region 1 DVDs at rock bottom prices & start collecting Blurays.

If you have $3.5K to burn, ask your uncle to visit the B&W shop at lavender street. Then you ask him to make comparison with Bose.

He loves Denon is because......?

Cheers

Thanks for the info,

I will bring him to B&W. I think he dun like the kef cos it round and too small for him? . In fact i like it haha .. but then he's the one buying it for me so ...

I will let him know abt the HD stuff. it's like one newb bringing another one for shopping and that was the result. Get whatever is easy to make a decision.

He been using Denon that why he suggests .

Thanks for the info,

I will bring him to B&W. I think he dun like the kef cos it round and too small for him? . In fact i like it haha .. but then he's the one buying it for me so ...

I will let him know abt the HD stuff. it's like one newb bringing another one for shopping and that was the result. Get whatever is easy to make a decision.

He been using Denon that why he suggests .

hahahah. i find your uncle funny. If KEF is small, then Bose is a big speaker? people who buys Bose, sorry to say, are from old school.

They have money to pay for reliable, over-rated, jurassic technology equipment but dont dare to venture further. If you are dead set on

Denon, get the 2310 if youre getting the KEF3005. They compliment one another.

Cheers

hahahah. i find your uncle funny. If KEF is small, then Bose is a big speaker? people who buys Bose, sorry to say, are from old school.

They have money to pay for reliable, over-rated, jurassic technology equipment but dont dare to venture further. If you are dead set on

Denon, get the 2310 if youre getting the KEF3005. They compliment one another.

Cheers

the fact u mention old sch yesh ! he is :P

The fact that i know nothing abt system doesn't help this process easier. I can only count on forummer like u and try doing some read up on my own.

I need to decide which to get soon as my uncle is leaving for oversea ..

Will go down to Lavender to check out B&W.

Hope he see something that catch his attention.

Thanks again for your reply :D :D

the fact u mention old sch yesh ! he is :P

The fact that i know nothing abt system doesn't help this process easier. I can only count on forummer like u and try doing some read up on my own.

I need to decide which to get soon as my uncle is leaving for oversea ..

Will go down to Lavender to check out B&W.

Hope he see something that catch his attention.

Thanks again for your reply :D :D

If youre going down to The Experts (B&W showroom, next to Imminient Plaza), do look for kenny.

And ask him to audition you the 600 series speakers. IMHO, theyre much much better than Bose.

Cheers

any recommendation for a 2.1 system?

Planning to get something simple yet decent.

Likely to be used for movies and watching TV only.

Tahnks.

any recommendation for a 2.1 system?

Planning to get something simple yet decent.

Likely to be used for movies and watching TV only.

Tahnks.

Hi

Cant think of any. maybe the Klipsch CS-500 2.1 But i do question the wisdom of having a 2.1 instead of a 3.1.

Cheers

Hi

Cant think of any. maybe the Klipsch CS-500 2.1 But i do question the wisdom of having a 2.1 instead of a 3.1.

Cheers

Thanks Vicenzo. IF 3.1 means have a sub-woofer, then I am ok to it. I thought the (.1) refers to sub-woofer already.

Budget not more than $800 if possible.

Thanks Vicenzo. IF 3.1 means have a sub-woofer, then I am ok to it. I thought the (.1) refers to sub-woofer already.

Budget not more than $800 if possible.

2.1 = 2 speakers (usually L & R)+ 1 subwoofer

3.1 = 2 L&R speakers + 1 centre speaker (70% importance) + 1 subwoofer.

Hope this clears the jargon. You still require a receiver though.

What i can suggest get a 2nd hand receiver (no more than $300) & that will leave u with $500 to procure new speakers.

Cheers