Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
garion

Recommendation For A/v Receiver And 5.1 Speakers

Dear All,

We are looking for a entry level A/V receiver and 5.1 speaker to install during our renovation.

The speaker is preferably those small wall mount types but still powerful enough for a 3.5m by 3.7m living room.....

Anyone has any recommendations on which model to get and where to get them?

we have checked out the onkyo 507 and jamo 102 speakers and quite like them....

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request
Dear All,

We are looking for a entry level A/V receiver and 5.1 speaker to install during our renovation.

The speaker is preferably those small wall mount types but still powerful enough for a 3.5m by 3.7m living room.....

Anyone has any recommendations on which model to get and where to get them?

we have checked out the onkyo 507 and jamo 102 speakers and quite like them....

Hi

Since you have auditioned the Onkyo+Jamo combo & liked it, I'd say, go for it.

How much is this set up?

Cheers

Hi

Since you have auditioned the Onkyo+Jamo combo & liked it, I'd say, go for it.

How much is this set up?

Cheers

:)

have not managed to find find out the actual prices yet.... saw the Onkyo 607 and Jamo 102 set at Courts selling for 1599.... they dun allow for downgrading to the 507...

any reliable shops that i can visit?

have not managed to find find out the actual prices yet.... saw the Onkyo 607 and Jamo 102 set at Courts selling for 1599.... they dun allow for downgrading to the 507...

Bro

Onkyo 607 using the Analog to HDMI video upconversion by Faroudja DCDi chipset leh. It will do a superb visual upscaling on your TV.

Atcually, I would advise you to dump the Jamo speakers & go for something that's in your budget. What about the Definitive Technology

Procinema series? Check it out at KEC @ Adelphi. The sales staff there are friendly & not pushy.

Cheers

Bro

Onkyo 607 using the Analog to HDMI video upconversion by Faroudja DCDi chipset leh. It will do a superb visual upscaling on your TV.

Atcually, I would advise you to dump the Jamo speakers & go for something that's in your budget. What about the Definitive Technology

Procinema series? Check it out at KEC @ Adelphi. The sales staff there are friendly & not pushy.

Cheers

Thanks for the advice :)

pardon my ignorance... but does that means that if i plug in a player with component output, it will upscale to HDMI quality?

besides Onkyo, we are also quite interested in Pioneer 919.... actually we are no audiophiles but just like the design of Jamo speakers :D

does KEC carries all these brands? Onkyo, Pioneer and Jamo

Thanks for the advice :)

pardon my ignorance... but does that means that if i plug in a player with component output, it will upscale to HDMI quality?

besides Onkyo, we are also quite interested in Pioneer 919.... actually we are no audiophiles but just like the design of Jamo speakers :D

does KEC carries all these brands? Onkyo, Pioneer and Jamo

Hi

You plug in your player via HDMI cable to your amp & out again (also HDMI) to your TV. The speakers has to use normal cables via the amp. But rest assured

if your receiver decodes DTS HD Audio & True HD Dolby, you'll be getting solid HD sound.

The Pio919 is quite a powerful amp. is it necsessary to power such a small speakers like Jamo?

If you think Jamo looks cute (sorry, Im of the opinion Jamo sounds horrible) take a look at Def Tech http://www.definitivetech.com/Products/Ser...nemaSeries.aspx

or MS Genie http://www.mordauntshort.com/content.php?COID=24

Both are better looking than Jamo & i can 200% guarantee you it sounds better.

btw, spend a bit more on a good bluray or DVD player. Sometimes the source equipment contributes to the overall cinematic effects as well.

But of coz if u have cash to spare, get the B&W speakers......

Cheers

I think vincenzo gave some solid advice and KEC is a good shop.

I'd say Onkyo and Denon offer good bang for your bucks.

Audiohouse are having a package for the Denon AVR 1910 + Boston Acoustics CS2310 5.1 speakers at $1199.

I bought the Denon AVR2310 as it sounded better to me and handled dynamic movie scenes better. Came with the BAs too.

The BA speakers sound slightly better than Jamo (IMHO and like vicenzo I can't stand Jamo, Also don't like hk or most JBLs) but are not great for music.

However, they handle movies really well and do acoustic music and pop well. So overall, I thought why the **** not and bought it.

I have two B & W speakers that I will probably use as front speakers and then have an absurd 7.1 system *drool* but as vincenzo said if you have money check out Bowers & Wilkins. they sound and look sexy.

Edited by elfettucine

Thanks vicenzo70, elfettucine for the valuable advice :)

will drop by KEC some time this week to have a look...

besides the Denon AVR 1910 + Boston Acoustics promotion, do you know of any other ongoing A/V + speakers offer at Audio House?

bro, my generic advice to you would be simple:

$$ + Shiokness to your ears - As long as these two can complement each other, the setup would be for you. How much balance to apply to these two variable would depend on you.

As $$ increases, the level of improvement decreases (diminishing returns) but then again, you may not have a discerning ear for these details, so why waste that $$. Well, if you have that $$ and have that discerning ear and always crave for the limit, go for it.

All brands are almost equal in features but have different sonic characteristics...so get one that suits you.

Edited by deepakvali

bro, my generic advice to you would be simple:

$$ + Shiokness to your ears - As long as these two can complement each other, the setup would be for you. How much balance to apply to these two variable would depend on you.

As $$ increases, the level of improvement decreases (diminishing returns) but then again, you may not have a discerning ear for these details, so why waste that $$. Well, if you have that $$ and have that discerning ear and always crave for the limit, go for it.

All brands are almost equal in features but have different sonic characteristics...so get one that suits you.

yes that really make sense.... there is a price to pay for everything :)

actually what we wanted is really simple.... a 5.1 AV which can support upscaling and 5.1 wall mount speakers which is small and simple.... no need to have fantastic sound output as the room is pretty small and we are not pro when appreciating music.... mostly used for movies, games and sometimes karaoke :D

budget of below 1500...

anyone knows if upcoming sitex will have any AV promotions?

yes that really make sense.... there is a price to pay for everything :)

actually what we wanted is really simple.... a 5.1 AV which can support upscaling and 5.1 wall mount speakers which is small and simple.... no need to have fantastic sound output as the room is pretty small and we are not pro when appreciating music.... mostly used for movies, games and sometimes karaoke :D

budget of below 1500...

anyone knows if upcoming sitex will have any AV promotions?

KEC also have promotions. Do check it out.

Budget below $1.5K can opt for Def Tech ProCinema 60 series. Full set + amp cost less than $1.3K.

Cheers

KEC also have promotions. Do check it out.

Budget below $1.5K can opt for Def Tech ProCinema 60 series. Full set + amp cost less than $1.3K.

Cheers

thinking of going KEC this evening..... do u know their opening hours?

Knowing that wired speakers are better in sound quality & clarity

Is there any good solution to have @ least the rear surround speakers to be "wireless"? Don't want to connect from the A/V receiver all the way the back of the living room?

Thx

thinking of going KEC this evening..... do u know their opening hours?

If you find something u like, let us know. Ensure your amp has HDMI capability & able to decode DTS HD Audio & True HD Dolby.

Other than that, happy hunting & get blown away from the real AV stuff.

And if you do get a proper set up, let me say in advance, welcome to the club.

Visit www.xtremeplace.com if you need any help or inspirations.

Cheers