Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
garion

Recommendation For A/v Receiver And 5.1 Speakers

haha decided to join this forum after reading all the good info here. For bros who are still looking for hts on a shoestring budget, (like i am) check these out:-

http://www.courts.com.sg/Products/CourtsSt...50(Courts).aspx

http://www.courts.com.sg/Products/CourtsSt...54(Courts).aspx

Price looks good for apparently True HD audio output. Never bought from Courts before, do they provide installation? Hmm... should start a Harvey Norman VS Best Denki Vs Courts thread....

bro, to benefit completely from Dolby True HD you need a total of 7speakers and 1subwoofer.....so in the event that you have only 5speakers and 1subwoofer already puts you at a disadvantage... so what i am driving at here is for such a HTiB setup, these feature should not be your top priority, its merely there as a marketing hype :)

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Gee I never knew that. Thanks.

In other words save the moolah unless I am thinking of upgrading my speakers next time? Or is the 5.1 true HD audio amp complete marketing gimmick?

pardon my ignorance

In other words save the moolah unless I am thinking of upgrading my speakers next time? Or is the 5.1 true HD audio amp complete marketing gimmick?

pardon my ignorance

Its not a marketing gimmick.

Hi Def sound format currently is TRUE HD & DTS HD Master Audio. Make sure your receiver & bluray player is compliant with this format.

The new sound format will blow u off your feet.

Cheers

Thanks, you were right Vincenzo. Tried listening to two diff amps a 5.1 with and without true HD on the same speaker setup and the action movie punches sounded crisper while the base more accurate (for lack of a better description). Drool... compared to my current tv-speakers the salesman almost convinced me to buy it first lol.

I've got another problem though, the wall where the tv is going to be mounted is only a meter wide, read some sites and most recommend about 2 m distance between the 2 front speakers. Will it be worthwhile placing them a meter apart? Or would I be better off getting a 'shudder' soundbox.

thanks again.

Thanks, you were right Vincenzo. Tried listening to two diff amps a 5.1 with and without true HD on the same speaker setup and the action movie punches sounded crisper while the base more accurate (for lack of a better description). Drool... compared to my current tv-speakers the salesman almost convinced me to buy it first lol.

I've got another problem though, the wall where the tv is going to be mounted is only a meter wide, read some sites and most recommend about 2 m distance between the 2 front speakers. Will it be worthwhile placing them a meter apart? Or would I be better off getting a 'shudder' soundbox.

thanks again.

Yep. Its better to put them wider apart. But if your using satelitte speakers, it wont make much difference. If youre having floor standers,

the best effect is more evident if theyre above 2 metre apart.

What system are you planning to get?

Dunno about u guys, but I prefer DTS HD Master Audio than True HD. If anyone has watched VALKYRIE, the low bass boom (from the sub)

is simply amazing!!! My up & downstairs neighbors thought there's a livefiring exercise nearby in the night :P

Cheers

Edited by vicenzo70

pardon my ignorance

bro, Dolby TrueHD is not a marketing gimmick, what I wanted to elaborate to you is as follows: there are movies that are encoded in Dolby TrueHD with 7discrete channels and since you have only 5 speakers, the back two channels would be mixed into your surrounds.....all you loose is some details and will not get to experience what the producer of the film intended the viewer to experience ;)

thus, to benefit from Dolby TrueHD and DTS HD-MA for concerts or movies in 7.1 format, the above applies.

anyway if you are planning to watch DVD's most times, none of the above mention will apply :)

anyway if you are planning to watch DVD's most times, none of the above mention will apply :)

I agree.

Go Bluray & you'll never step into a cinema again :P

BR discs are not very expensive. Amazon offers great discounts from time to time & of coz

there's pre-owned BR discs available. Visit www.xtremeplace.com under Planet Disc Sales

to be spoilt for choice.

Cheers

I agree.

Go Bluray & you'll never step into a cinema again :P

BR discs are not very expensive. Amazon offers great discounts from time to time & of coz

there's pre-owned BR discs available. Visit www.xtremeplace.com under Planet Disc Sales

to be spoilt for choice.

Cheers

how true, i jus whacked a stack of BD from Amazon including Harry Potter's latest BD release at a pre-order price of only USD15.....and Singapore is selling ~S$50 - CRAP!!

i havent gone to a cinema for years....and the only setback is my movie viewing is always behind the general public so when popular movies are screening at cinemas and everyone around is talking about it, can only keep quiet and drool ;)

Yep. Its better to put them wider apart. But if your using satelitte speakers, it wont make much difference. If youre having floor standers,

the best effect is more evident if theyre above 2 metre apart.

What system are you planning to get?

Dunno about u guys, but I prefer DTS HD Master Audio than True HD. If anyone has watched VALKYRIE, the low bass boom (from the sub)

is simply amazing!!! My up & downstairs neighbors thought there's a livefiring exercise nearby in the night :P

Cheers

Satellite speakers. Thanks for the good info, will keep looking at a 5.1 setup then. Was afraid 1m apart is too close. Thinking of an Onkyo HiTB with the TX-SR 507 AVR and Onkyo speakers. Budget a bit tight, small bonus. Plus since I'm new at this looking at entry lvl. Checked out KEC, only their Jamo setup is within my budget.

Wahaha! I wouldn't want to be your neighbour though.

thx Deepak, will plan to start a BD collection

Satellite speakers. Thanks for the good info, will keep looking at a 5.1 setup then. Was afraid 1m apart is too close. Thinking of an Onkyo HiTB with the TX-SR 507 AVR and Onkyo speakers. Budget a bit tight, small bonus. Plus since I'm new at this looking at entry lvl. Checked out KEC, only their Jamo setup is within my budget.

Wahaha! I wouldn't want to be your neighbour though.

thx Deepak, will plan to start a BD collection

Bro

If jamo fits your budget, Im sure Definitve technology will too. Check them out if you havent.

Cheers

Bro

If jamo fits your budget, Im sure Definitve technology will too. Check them out if you havent.

Cheers

The sales rep wasn't interested when he heard my budget around 1.5-1.8k. The only Definitive technology package was the Pro Cinema 800 at $2599.

The sales rep wasn't interested when he heard my budget around 1.5-1.8k. The only Definitive technology package was the Pro Cinema 800 at $2599.

There's the ProCinema600 which cost about $2K, if Im not mistaken.

What amplifier did the sales rep paired with ProCinema800?

Cheers

KEC also have promotions. Do check it out.

Budget below $1.5K can opt for Def Tech ProCinema 60 series. Full set + amp cost less than $1.3K.

Cheers

This price is good! $1.3k with amp.

This price is good! $1.3k with amp.

Personally, I wont recommend the Jamo. I am using Paradigm 5.1 with Yamaha amp. I feel it is much better for home theatre

There's the ProCinema600 which cost about $2K, if Im not mistaken.

What amplifier did the sales rep paired with ProCinema800?

Cheers

Denon AVR 1910 with ProCinema 800 $2599. Didn't see a ProCinema 600 package, was it paired with a Full-HD compatible amp?