Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
kxil

Silicone Sealant Needed For Hob And Sink?

Is there a need to seal the surrounding of hob and sink with silicone? The silicone will turn black when it gets into contact with water over time, and looks so ugly.

Also, a city gas worker came to my friend's house and showed that her hob is still "moveable" and told her to get her contractor to seal it with silicone. But her contractor said nowadays, pple do away with silicone.

Is there an alternative to using silicone?

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation
Is there a need to seal the surrounding of hob and sink with silicone? The silicone will turn black when it gets into contact with water over time, and looks so ugly.

Also, a city gas worker came to my friend's house and showed that her hob is still "moveable" and told her to get her contractor to seal it with silicone. But her contractor said nowadays, pple do away with silicone.

Is there an alternative to using silicone?

Anyone can help with this ? Do u use silicone for yr hob and sink?

my wall mount sink--- edges to wall , asked plumber to fill with white cement , he said silicone also can , hope this helps

hob i dunno

my wall mount sink--- edges to wall , asked plumber to fill with white cement , he said silicone also can , hope this helps

hob i dunno

anyone can share how their hob is mounted? with silicone seal? Ours is a tempered glass hob, and we don't know whether to seal it or not. If no sealing the the oil will surely go inside the kitchen cabinet. If hob is silicone sealed, will it melt when you start cooking?

You do know if you use the RIGHT kind of sealant meant to be mould and mildew resistant there would not be an issue with it turning black etc...thats all fungus and mould

i'm using black tempered glass hob without sealing too. it just rested on them of the solid top cut out. so far no problems.

mine too. no problem for the last 2 years. ***cross my finger***

Hob no silicon.

Sink NEEDS silicon.

I just repaired my sink because the old silicon worn off and it's leaking badly beneath.

Depending on the color of your table top (mine's black), i bought black silicon and sealed up the whole thing, problem solved.

If your silicon has got to be white or transparent, it's likely to turn green/black from mold, I'm not sure if those mold resistant silicon helps though.

Edited by lawry