Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Hi, I would like to make a special mention of my ID, Peter Low of Earnest Interiors. I recently renovated my place at Lower Delta Road. Throughout the entire project, Peter provided very comprehensive support, be it ID advice or assisting in liaising with the different parties to ensure things are up to mark and on time.

Me and my wife particularly liked the advice which he rendered on wardrobe and cabinet layout and design (which were quite extensive for our case), re-organising kitchen layout, and bathroom design. Apart from sound design recommendations, he also offered very practical advice, which is proving to be very useful now.

On project management, Peter was very detailed and helpful in ensuring that we were consulted and updated on almost all aspects of the works. On several occasions he went out of his way to accommodate our requirements.

I will recommend that you consider engaging Earnest Interiors, particularly the services offered by their ID Peter Low.

Hello forum, I’m Benedict. My last job position held: ID Consultant at Earnest Interiors. Present occupation: Unemployed!

It feels both weird and cool to be able to finally contribute something to this tread at Renotalk. And no, I’m not in here to seek revenge, vent my anger or play any sort of childish blame game. One, that’s not me. Two, I don’t have any need to!

Why I’m here then? I have a couple of reasons and one of them is simply that I have the time to reflect on my time at Earnest Interiors. I have contributed to non-ID-related forums before and I thought now it’s a good time to share a thing or two in a forum that’s related to my previous work experience.

First up. I would like to thank my former customers who gave me the opportunity to do up their new homes because they found me here. It has been a tiring but rewarding journey.

I would also like to express my gratitude for some of them for helping me to promote my humble name and services here online and many more offline. Good men and women indeed.

Next, I wish to clarify the reason as to why I left Earnest Interiors.

I left on good terms with everyone there, including the sub-contractors, with my head held high. Do I miss the people there? After so many years there, yes. Speaking on behalf of nobody else but myself, and together with another former company in which I also worked for, these offices really do not have office politics in general. And this is so, so rare in a competitive cutthroat world today.

The above meant that I wasn’t sacked from the job! Even if I tell my colleagues or sub-contractors that my boss, James, sacked me, they will probably laugh with a smirk on their faces and tell me not to treat them like idiots! That’s how ridiculous it sounds! Of course, there were the occasional disagreements but tell me which organizations’ intra relationships don’t have disagreements at all? All in all, I got along fine with James and I only have gratitude towards him for taking care of me during my time in the company. If I have issues I cannot resolve, he was available to help. We in the industry know that not all bosses are able or willing to handle issues at the frontline. I’m fortunate.

But do I miss the job? Not really. The work, details, stress and that hidden expectation to play God once too often ate too much into my personal time and space that I felt I wasn’t growing in other aspects of my life. I practically ignored them, and unfortunately, that included my health.

So there you go, I’m moving on not because bad blood was spilled because there wasn’t any to begin with. But if you are curious to know, I admit that I have slammed telephone handsets and my mobile phones on countless occasions! It’s just the work!

In a nutshell, I left the industry and company to seek a better work / life balance.

I have not decided what to do next really apart from taking a break. I’m fortunate to have a couple of job offers on the table. I also have one from my own father! He’s retiring some time next year and we are discussing whether it’s financially viable to keep his food distribution business going in an extremely competitive industry where he’s really a David among Goliaths. Maybe I will go study for a degree? Maybe I will join the IR? Or maybe I will open and run my own little business! Who knows?

Lastly, I’m slightly bothered by a “war” that one of my former colleagues has been raging with James for the past few months. It seemed to have spilled into this forum. It should not be of any concern to me but I can’t help but wonder how an issue that could have been resolved rather easily escalated to this! I have said that I got along well with everyone and that included this former colleague. I’m amazed because if it was me, I cannot imagine myself carrying the issue for as long as it has gone and worse, became a kindergarten-like “tit-for-tat” subject that has been spiced with horrific English at http://www.renotalk.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=21323

I know my advice is not worth much but since I have nothing to lose, here goes. Friend, resolve the issues at hand and let it go. I have seen the kids of both parties and they are all seriously very lovable. Just keep that mental picture and I’m sure there are more positive priorities for you to look forward to.

I have one final point to add. Jonathan has left to answer a calling from God. Zann has left to become her own boss. Now I leave. Some have written my name with a prefix of superstar ID but that’s not a term that I deserve at all. My other colleagues such as Ben, Frankie and Peter are seriously that good as well. We talk with one another in and out of the office all the time so I know where they stand. Did I mention that we have become very good friends along the way too?

That’s it. If you wish to seek an opinion, make friends, donate money to an unemployed person (just joking!), recommend a ridiculously high-paying job with short working hours ;) or whatever positive, you are welcomed to email me at benedict_cheong@hotmail.com

sorry .. this may sound stupid- but ben and benedict is same right?

so... anyone know who is good- i mean those with direct referrals?

sorry .. this may sound stupid- but ben and benedict is same right?

so... anyone know who is good- i mean those with direct referrals?

I don't think I can say which ID is good or which ID is less competent based on my one renovation experience. But I think to some extent the renovation experience depends also on the customers - are we prepared to accept that certain designs may not be feasible due to unforeseen circumstances, that the designers and their teams of workers can also make mistakes etc. Will we regard our ID as professionals and respect their opinions and work with them? If so, many IDs are good IDs.

My ID is Kennedy of Earnest Interiors. He is young and relatively new, but I think he has good and fresh design ideas, and is very prompt in answering my emails, sms and calls. Very friendly and polite, very easy to talk to. One thing good is that my renovation is coordinated by him together with his very experienced senior Peter and I think they form a great team.

I will be taking over the house in 3 days time. I will post more pics in my T-Blog for you to take a look :).

Hi just wanna give my feedback on Ernest-Interior. After reading the forum, I tried to contact one of the Ernest ID Mr B. He took a week to send a quotation. When I sms him for further enquiries, he doesn't reply. Two days already. Email him also no reply. Call him also never answer. At least should have the courtesy to tell the potential client that "I am busy I will get back to you asap" right? On the other hand, when I contact other ID from other firm, they can give me the quotation promptly. Feel that may be Ernest ID too busy thus their efficiency rate is slow.

• Like 1

Hi just wanna give my feedback on Ernest-Interior. After reading the forum, I tried to contact one of the Ernest ID Mr B. He took a week to send a quotation. When I sms him for further enquiries, he doesn't reply. Two days already. Email him also no reply. Call him also never answer. At least should have the courtesy to tell the potential client that "I am busy I will get back to you asap" right? On the other hand, when I contact other ID from other firm, they can give me the quotation promptly. Feel that may be Ernest ID too busy thus their efficiency rate is slow.

A week is pretty prompt. There are Ids who never reponse :bangwall:

one of their ID forgot his appointment with me and double booked himself. initially even asked me to go walk around and go back in an hour and half time. my wife and i were mad and wanted to leave but luckily his colleague was free to entertain us. so now am waiting for his colleague's quotation.

btw, the initial ID didn't even apologise for forgetting his appointment with me. :curse:

Edited by reizzz

Just worked with Peter and Kennedy on my place, horrible attitude, and disgraceful professionalism.

All measurements on quotations were ROUNDED UP, discrepancy on carpentry cost alone amounted up to high 4 digits. When asked for explanation, Kennedy doesn't know what the **** he's talking about when I made a mistake and thought the TV shelf (which they quoted me but I didn't do), cost more than a simple looking bathroom shelf measuring 3ft by 5ft. He made up lies that it's harder to install a small shelf in the toilet than a full length TV shelf on the living room wall. Upon realizing his mistake he threw a childish tantrum and it's apparent that he doesn't know what he's quoting and has little sense of logic going on for him

Quotations, by the way, were all inconsistent. Identical items given 2 or more different pricing; items that have been billed for but uncompleted. I can really go on about their dishonesty.

While Peter and Kennedy appeared friendly and patient initally, they are a bunch of people who deliver horrible work and adopt an arrogance that is just uncalled for. The amount of things I've had to repair now after moving in for only a month is just ridiculous.

In fact the whole experience was so unpleasant and frustrating that I consulted lawyers and was more than willing to take them to court had their boss not showed up in the very last moment to try and resolve this.

Despite the terrible work they made zero effort coming to see and arrange for the faulty installation, broken fixtures and instead were more concerned about collecting their final payment first. Even resorting to insults to collect their money before fulfilling their end of the promise - that of delivering work in acceptable condition.

I would warn anyone against these jokers and if anyone needs evidences and proofs of how terrible they are, I've kept a copy of all exchanges.

i suppose we should do abit of research like checking in hdb website on contractors/ids's rating before signing up

Just worked with Peter and Kennedy on my place, horrible attitude, and disgraceful professionalism.

All measurements on quotations were ROUNDED UP, discrepancy on carpentry cost alone amounted up to high 4 digits. When asked for explanation, Kennedy doesn't know what the **** he's talking about when I made a mistake and thought the TV shelf (which they quoted me but I didn't do), cost more than a simple looking bathroom shelf measuring 3ft by 5ft. He made up lies that it's harder to install a small shelf in the toilet than a full length TV shelf on the living room wall. Upon realizing his mistake he threw a childish tantrum and it's apparent that he doesn't know what he's quoting and has little sense of logic going on for him

Quotations, by the way, were all inconsistent. Identical items given 2 or more different pricing; items that have been billed for but uncompleted. I can really go on about their dishonesty.

While Peter and Kennedy appeared friendly and patient initally, they are a bunch of people who deliver horrible work and adopt an arrogance that is just uncalled for. The amount of things I've had to repair now after moving in for only a month is just ridiculous.

In fact the whole experience was so unpleasant and frustrating that I consulted lawyers and was more than willing to take them to court had their boss not showed up in the very last moment to try and resolve this.

Despite the terrible work they made zero effort coming to see and arrange for the faulty installation, broken fixtures and instead were more concerned about collecting their final payment first. Even resorting to insults to collect their money before fulfilling their end of the promise - that of delivering work in acceptable condition.

I would warn anyone against these jokers and if anyone needs evidences and proofs of how terrible they are, I've kept a copy of all exchanges.

Really sorry to hear about your unpleasant experience because my reno experience with them was very much the opposite. Maybe you should have clarified the price for those items that you think are too expensive before you signed the contract. That's what most people will do. I suppose you have gotten quotations from other ID firms as well? If so, making a comparison on the pricing for the same item between different IDs will be a good and simple strategy to ensure you are not overcharged.

Since you have collected all the evidences of their poor service, why not post them here so that there won't be further victims? Regarding the 2 different pricings for identical items, please show us the scanned copy of your quotation.

I agree with you that in my renovation 'All measurements on quotations were ROUNDED UP', but that was because the quotation was given based on the floorplan which tends to be larger than the actual size of the house. Anyway I was ok with it because Kennedy gave me my study room T-shaped table for free, and the cost of it is certainly higher than the additional cost of my other carpentries due to the rounded up measurements.

Edited by SGK