Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
ngunadi

A Home In Singapore

heh bro, welcome to reno :D

different contractors view you as different size carrot, some see big carrot, some see small carrot...

i. Painting 20pcs of existing Kitchen cabinet doors & 4pcs drawer door. S$1,900.00

at this price, i can buy 422 cans of Nippon spraypaint to paint your cabinet doors :D

on second thoughts, i buy 22 cans, the other 400 cans, i keep as kopi $ :D

That is nicely put. This one is really baffled me.

Do I look like this ?

2253751182_e2ffa0e47b.jpg

I think we won't choose this contractor. I feel the quotation is too absurd. Don't want to waste energy/time for both sides to negotiate it.

Edited by ngunadi

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

I moved 7 times before i was married, therefore, im almost an expert in packing and unpacking. Hahaha! There are some occasion where we had to source for contractors. (last time IDs are not a big hit) What i really buay tahan is the part where the contractor wants to change piping fm copper to stainless steel. We succumbed to the last contractor to change the pipes and now, my mom thinks its a waste of money. Now if i see contractors that wants to change my piping for the sake of aesthetic wise, i run far and fast. Obviously, you can always paint them but of course these are my thoughts.

I moved 7 times before i was married, therefore, im almost an expert in packing and unpacking. Hahaha! There are some occasion where we had to source for contractors. (last time IDs are not a big hit) What i really buay tahan is the part where the contractor wants to change piping fm copper to stainless steel. We succumbed to the last contractor to change the pipes and now, my mom thinks its a waste of money. Now if i see contractors that wants to change my piping for the sake of aesthetic wise, i run far and fast. Obviously, you can always paint them but of course these are my thoughts.

Good points there.

I understand contractor also need to make money. But if there are too many dubious points, it makes you ponder, doesn't it?

Good points there.

I understand contractor also need to make money. But if there are too many dubious points, it makes you ponder, doesn't it?

It makes you ponder but at the same time the credibility of the contractor is questionable as well.

Ngunadi, have you consider changing the doors of yr cabinet instead of painting, who knows you might be able to get the same price he quoted.

@muesli, I am considering to change the door but just think it's a waste to throw away a good doors. Besides, changing the whole doors can cost a bomb :)

We just receive another quotation. I think this one is quite reasonable. (If it's not listed, it's FOC)

PART 1: DESIGN SERVICES

1 Site co-ordination & supervision

PART 2: DEMOLITION WORKS

1 To demolish existing floor tiles at 02 Toilet.

2 To demolish existing wall tiles at 02 Toilet area.

3 To demolish exisitng Build in Cabinet at Bedroom 1, 2 and Master Bedroom.

4 To demolish exisitng Build in Cabinet at Foyer and Living area.

5 To dismantle existing Kitchen Counter Top.

6 To dismantle existing Sliding Door and Balcony area. Lump Sum 1600

PART 3: FLOORING WORKS

1 To supply labour and tools to re-polish existing marble flooring at whole unit. 750

2 To supply and lay PE Foam to Level up existing Balcony flooring. 350

3 To supply and install Timber Strip Floor Tiles at Balcony area. 650

4 To supply and install heavy duty Non Slip Homogenous floor tiles at 02 Toilet. 750

5 To supply and install heavy duty ceramic wall tiles at 02 Toilet area. 2700

6 To supply and lay water proofing membrane for 02 Toilet area. 100

7 To supply and install 02nos. Of Shower Kerb at 02 Toilet. 0

PART 4: PLUMBING/ SANITARY WORKS

1 To supply and re-run stainless steel piping at 02 Toilet area. 300

2 To supply labour to install 02 nos. of toilet bowl. 160

3 To supply labour to install 02 nos. of toilet basin. 120

4 To supply labour to install kitchen sink and tap. 80

5 To supply labour to install water heater. 0

6 To supply labour to install toilet accessories. 0

PART 5: CEILING / PLASTER WORKS

1 To supply and install Gysum Board to Box up Piping at Balcony and Living Switch area. 300

PART 6: MISCELLANOUS/ FINISHING WORK

1 Painting for whole unit using ICI Dulux Pentalite Emulsion or Nippon Super Vnilex 5000 1200

Emlusion. Paint inclusive of:

a) All doors & doors frame

b) Gate and piping

2 General cleaning / Chemical wash for whole unit. 200

3 Haluage/ Clear debris service. 400

PART 7: CARPENTRY WORKS

KITCHEN

1 To design and install L16ft Solid Surface worktop c/w front profile and backsplash. (LG) 1440

2 To supply labour and material to lay L16ft Solid Plwood at Kitchen Counter top area. 350

3 To supply and install L16ft Tempered Colour Glass Backing at Kitchen area. 650

4 To supply labour and material to re-vanish existing Sliding Door c/w Stain and laquer finish. 100

5 To supply and install 02nos. Of Swing Door with Spray Paint finish at Sink Below. 250

LIVING / DINING

1 To supply and install L7ft T.V console c/w Gysum Board Panel with laminated finish. 1330

2 To supply and install L17ft Black Mirror c/w Wooden Backing at Dining area. 1800

MASTER BEDROOM

1 To supply labour and material to change wardrobe door with laminated finish. 500

BEDROOM 3

1 To supply labour and material to change wardrobe door with laminated finish. 400

MASTER BEDROOM TOILET

1 To supply and install L5ft Vanity Cabinet c/w Solid Surface Top, Mirror and Light Pelmet 1100

with laminated finish at MBR toilet.

2 To supply and install L2.5ft Tempered Fixed Glass Panel at MBR shower area. 180

PART 8: OTHER WORKS

1 To supply labour and material to re-vanish existing Main Door c/w Stain and laquer finish. 120

2 To supply and install 02nos. Of Alumin Bi-fold Door with PVC Panel at 02 toilet area. 400

3 To apply for Renovation Permit.

Total $18280

My thoughts:

1. We find this quotation is acceptable.Although we would like to have some items to be FOC. :D

2. We would not do any Living/Dining works also. Too expensive and can wait.

3. Might not to do kitchen work also.

4. Should I not change the balcony?

5. We would like to get the tiles directly from Lian Sen Hiang, so i think he should just supply the labour work.

6. He never includes the windows casement for balcony.

7. Electrical + lightning are still excluded.

Currently, we are deciding whether we need to redo the balcony and bring it in as part of living room.

We are thinking to redo it because

1. It's unused space. If we don't renovate, we can not image what we can do with that space. Gardening?

2. It would become dirty since there is no glass window. Water and dust would collect there.

If we don't do it, it's because:

1. Save cost. It costs almost $1.5k for tiles and casement window just for small area. Is it worth it?

2. When it rains, we can let the glass door open and let the wind comes in so the living room is not stuffy.

It seems, more reasons to redo the balcony but is there any way to do it cheaper or any other point that we didn't think of ?

even if u decide to do gardening on the balcony, u need to check the sunlight conditions... does the space get enough light for the plants or will u just have mould on them??

i often wonder why did the HDB build these kinds of balcony which become "dead" spaces in so many homes? why didn't they turn it into proper terraces like those in southern europe where people could actually sit out in the afternoons and cool off and have a meal on the terraces... the size of terraces are bigger there obviously, enough to even fit a barbecue!

Thanks, I will do that. Are they contractor or an ID?

I still don't really understand the Eubiq products range. Their website is not exactly helpful. If i get off the shelf, I can only incorporate the power adapters?

I saw that Eubiq can include data but most probably I would not use it as my data. I would use Wireless-N as no budget to install gigabit LAN for the whole house.

I guess u have a point. That's why I am eager to get any quotation back so I can adjust whether the reno works.

i don't recommend IDs as their profit margin is too big :P

if you get Eubiq off the shelf, they come with power adaptors (most likely the normal types) only. You can add-on adaptors but generally it will cost a lot if you pay retail price.

If you get Eubiq from the supplier, you can customise it according to your needs, inclusive of things like phone, lan, lights (sensor, switch or study), AV, etc.

Lan for the whole house wouldn't cost much more than a wireless N modem and LAN will rule over wireless in the OpenNet era.

Back to reno work mode now :D

@wizi I agree, the balcony is such a small space and it's really silly. Anyway, we decided to bring them in as part of the living room due to relayout.

@ossify We definitely not going to get ID. My wife has a degree in architect and she would be the ID :P I think I would consider Eubiq due to cost issue :D

Okay ... plenty of updates.

Let's see ...

After consultation with FSM, there's some layout changes of the house:

1. Kitchen redo

2. Joining of 2 bedrooms

3. Building partition wall

The updated layout would be like this:

4366781287_aed0d81c0a_o.png

The main work would be:

PART 1: DESIGN SERVICES

1 Site co-ordination & supervision

PART 2: DEMOLITION WORKS

1 To demolish existing floor tiles at 02 Toilet.

2 To demolish existing wall tiles at 02 Toilet area.

3 To demolish exisitng Build in Cabinet at Bedroom 1, 2 and Master Bedroom.

4 To demolish exisitng Build in Cabinet at Foyer and Living area.

5 To dismantle existing Kitchen Counter Top.

6 To dismantle existing Sliding Door and Balcony area.

To dismantle existing kitchen cabinets, fridge base and half-height wall in kitchen

To demolish existing wall between MBR and Bedroom 2

To demolish existing washing machine base To be confirmed

PART 3: FLOORING WORKS

1 To supply labour and tools to re-polish existing marble flooring at whole unit.

2 To supply and lay PE Foam to Level up existing Balcony flooring. Tiles: LSH CI 9029/SFI 200, 20x60cm, $4.50 psf (need other alternative)

3 To supply and install Timber Strip Floor Tiles at Balcony area.

4 To supply and install heavy duty Non Slip Homogenous floor tiles at 02 Toilet. Tiles: LSH ZF6112/30, 30cm2, $2.50 psf

5 To supply and install heavy duty ceramic wall tiles at 02 Toilet area. Tiles: LSH ZF6112/36, 30x60cm, $2.80 psf

To supply and install heavy duty ceramic shower wall tiles at 02 Toilet area. Tiles: LSH ZF6114/36, 30x60cm, $2.80 psf

6 To supply and lay water proofing membrane for 02 Toilet area.

7 To supply and install 02nos. Of Shower Kerb at 02 Toilet.

To supply and install the missing tiles in Kitchen

To supply and install similar tiles for area of existing wall between MBR and Bedroom 2

PART 4: PLUMBING/ SANITARY WORKS

1 To supply and re-run stainless steel piping at 02 Toilet area.

2 To supply labour to install 02 nos. of toilet bowl.

3 To supply labour to install 02 nos. of toilet basin.

4 To supply labour to install kitchen sink and tap.

5 To supply labour to install for Storage water heater (include piping).

6 To supply labour to install toilet acessories.

PART 5: CEILING / PLASTER WORKS

1 To supply and install Gysum Board to Box up Piping at Balcony and Living Switch area.

To seal up the Bedroom 2 Door

PART 6: MISCELLANOUS/ FINISHING WORK

1 Painting for whole unit using ICI Dulux Pentalite Emulsion or Nippon Super Vnilex 5000

Emlusion. Paint inclusive of:

a) All doors & doors frame

b) Gate and piping

2 General cleaning / Chemical wash for whole unit.

3 Haluage/ Clear debris service.

PART 7: CARPENTRY WORKS

MAIN DOOR

To tilt the wrought iron gate and wooded door by 10" Details to be discussed

BALCONY

1 To supply and install casement window for balcony

KITCHEN

1 To design and install L16ft Solid Surface worktop c/w front profile and backsplash. (LG) To be re-calculated with new length

2 To supply labour and material to lay L16ft Solid Plwood at Kitchen Counter top area. To be re-calculated with new length

3 To supply and install L16ft Tempered Colour Glass Backing at Kitchen area. To be re-calculated with new length

4 To supply labour and material to re-vanish existing Sliding Door c/w Stain and laquer finish.

5 To supply and install 02nos. Of Swing Door with Spray Paint finish at Sink Below.

MASTER BEDROOM

1 To supply labour and material to change wardrobe door with laminated finish.

BEDROOM 3

1 To supply labour and material to change wardrobe door with laminated finish.

To relocate the bedroom door To be confirmed

MASTER BEDROOM TOILET

1 To supply and install L5ft Vanity Cabinet c/w laminate, Mirror and Light Pelmet with laminated finish at MBR toilet.

2 To supply and install L2.5ft Tempered Fixed Glass Panel at MBR shower area.

PART 8: OTHER WORKS

1 To supply labour and material to re-vanish existing Main Door c/w Stain and laquer finish.

2 To supply and install 02nos. Of Alumin Bi-fold Door with PVC Panel at 02 toilet area.

3 To apply for Renovation Permit.