Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
ariesmun

Drilling False Wall - Hit Something Hard Like Metal

Hi,

I need to drill some holes inside my bathroom to hang a corner soap container. So, i drill my walls, and after 1 cm...i feel that my drill hit a metal surface, and i'm scared to drill further.

Further info regarding my bathroom walls:

- if i knock on it, it is shallow...i believe that it is a false walls.

- there are tiles on the walls (standard ceramic tiles).

So, any of you guys have some experiences drilling a false walls? Did the same thing happen to you?

Thanks,

Aries

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation
Hi,

I need to drill some holes inside my bathroom to hang a corner soap container. So, i drill my walls, and after 1 cm...i feel that my drill hit a metal surface, and i'm scared to drill further.

Further info regarding my bathroom walls:

- if i knock on it, it is shallow...i believe that it is a false walls.

- there are tiles on the walls (standard ceramic tiles).

So, any of you guys have some experiences drilling a false walls? Did the same thing happen to you?

Thanks,

Aries

It could be that you are now hitting the real wall, which is harder than false wall.... if I were you, I will continue to drill further and see what happen... hopefully not power cables...

or worst still, it maybe ur water piping!

personally i'd advice u that u get some real strong n heavy duty tapes (like 3M type) to stick ur soap container. if tat's not possible, just buy the 3M corner rack (the one that's on TV advert recently) to stick and u can cover the hole. just my 2 cents :)

Most probably, you have hit one metal pipe buried in the wall.

Try drilling another hold 3 to 5 ins away from the first hole.

Patch up the first hole witrh putty. If it is white tiles or wall, it will not be noticed.

I agree that should drill a hole away from your current hole. maybe is some water or gas pipe an you will be in trouble. Using those stainless steel racks will definitely look nicer lah.

If it is water pipe then u will be in trouble if it leaks.

That's the reason why HDB does not allow conceal water pipping in walls.

If it is not water pipe, then it is the structural wall, you must have drilled on the metal beam. Suggest you choose other spot in your bath room.

If it is water pipe, you will know. My contractor hit a concealed water pipe during my reno and straight away water started leaking.

Unlikely to be a gas pipe. Don't think HDB run gas pipes concealed in toilet walls. Gas pipes from the mains terminate at kitchen. And from there you extend to your hob and central gas heater from citygas.

Just patch up and choose another spot to drill. Or get the 3M toilet accesories, I changed some of my rusty lousy toilet accesories to 3M.

hi guys,

thanks for the info.

I tried to drill some other holes some cm away...still hit the metal.

I already use the metal detector device...it was green...then drill through...still hit some metal.

Is it some kind of frame for false walls? Do u know how do they usually build this false walls? I thought the metal frame should be only in some places. It looks like that the metal frame is all over the place in my case.

Should i call a handyman for this? or should i just drill through the metal thing? any advice?

Aries

hi guys,

thanks for the info.

I tried to drill some other holes some cm away...still hit the metal.

I already use the metal detector device...it was green...then drill through...still hit some metal.

Is it some kind of frame for false walls? Do u know how do they usually build this false walls? I thought the metal frame should be only in some places. It looks like that the metal frame is all over the place in my case.

Should i call a handyman for this? or should i just drill through the metal thing? any advice?

Aries

hi are you sure its metal? i doubt there is metal so close to the surface at 1cm depth in the toilet.

what type of drill are you using?

hi are you sure its metal? i doubt there is metal so close to the surface at 1cm depth in the toilet.

what type of drill are you using?

may be can do some analysis on the drill tip if it contains metal...

Hi,

I'm sure it is metal. I drilled it through using a quite big drill bit and indeed...it is metal. 100% metal. So, i'm totally lost here....

Did you switch your drill to hammering mode?

Did u use the right drill bits for drilling concrete wall...

Just called HDB. They even gave me the whole specification of my house. (Way to go HDB !!!).

So, basically...the whole wall is a false walls, and it has the whole frame in it. And the frame is metal. So, whatever happened, must drill through the metal! Which i haven't done yet...;-(

Thanks all,

Aries