Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
eugela

Painting On Newly Plastered Wall

Hi,

My walls are to be replastered throughout, do you think it is a must or neccessary to have my walls painted with a sealant before painting the normal color paint?

My contractor say it is not necessary but I felt a newly plastered wall may not absorb the paint well and may peel shortly.

Any advise?

Thanks

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

You have a right to be concerned. There is chances of peeling especially when the plaster is not completely dried before painting. Another thing is that plaster is porous. That is when you apply paint on it, moisture will be sucked out from your paint into the plaster, and in future, flaking will happen.

To ease your mind, just request for a sealant irregardless of what the contractor says.

Source:

http://www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects/paintnewplaster.htm

my painter told mi cement plaster no need put sealant... is there a difference between normal plaster and this cement plaster???

Hey, baby81984, it was mistaken cement & plastering wall both has to be apply with one coat of sealant before painting :D

Hey, baby81984, it was mistaken cement & plastering wall both has to be apply with one coat of sealant before painting :D

Hi, How do we know whether they are giving us the sealant, as my contractorpaint my house during my absent.?

Is ther a way to check. BTW my contractor is the absconded Jason GOH of U&B Reno.

Brgds.

u paste sticky tape on the paint and pull out.

If the paint falls off, and u see the plaster, that means sealer not there or not done properly.

http://www.ehow.com/way_5863574_can-tell-c...t-applied_.html

Extract:

Beaded water indicates your concrete has a sealant applied to it. When it rains, check to see whether or not the water beads where it hits the concrete. You can also pour water onto the concrete in different areas to test this. If the water soaks in, the concrete does not have a sealant.

Misconceptions

The absence of beaded water or the presence of conditions usually found in unsealed concrete is not a guarantee that someone did not seal your concrete. Using an inadequate sealant can lead to the onset of conditions mirroring those found in unsealed concrete. Also take into consideration the age of the home. Sealant can eventually wear off, and you could need to reapply a new coat of protection.

my newly painted walls have these bumps that can actually be pressed down... (not sure if anyone knows what i mean) seems like air bubbles to me... is that normal??

i know for a fact that that part of the wall had paint peeling previously but i presumed the painter had known what to do..

my painter tells me it's all done and painted finish... what should i do?