Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
Bethel

Toa Payoh Blk 79 Kakis

Hey Ms_white, welcome to the Mrs group... hee... congrats on your big day!:P both of u are very good looking, little shay_ds must be very handsome and pretty too!:P hee...

Ptro, my son is also 1 year + .. haa... got companion le... they can go school together... hee... think icy's son is also 1 year...

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request
i agree having kids earlier is better...but i also dun want my kid (s) to grow up with a smoking dad. not that shay_d is a heavy smoker, i detest it when my dad smokes since i was a kid. dun want history to repeat on mine... zz it's better & healthier too for shay_d too if he quits... smoking definitely affects the chromosomes as well...

thank you bonkitty~:P! :P

HELO ! How's married life ? Once u have kids, I believe shay_d will stop smoking. Juz talked to a pregnant colleage of mine yesterday. Told me she has stopped smoking for the sake of the baby. Told her the $$ saved will cover milk powder & diapers.

I agree should have kids when young. U know my case, now too old to chase after my almost 2 yrs old boy and keeping late nites for my 2 mth old girl. zz

Hi Liana79B and Snuff Snuff...thank you for your wishes!

Hmmm...don't think we'll have little shay_ds so soon. Hahahaha!:yamseng: I'm not prepared to be a mum. :dribble:

Hi sushibabe!! Thanks!! What time were you there? I think when you saw the gowns was probably when we were back at the new house to rest. :)

Hi a_star...you'll be around this weekend? Will you be joining us for the gathering..with Vivian? :dunno:

hmmm...dun remembered what time leh...keke~~~

i agree having kids earlier is better...but i also dun want my kid (s) to grow up with a smoking dad. not that shay_d is a heavy smoker, i detest it when my dad smokes since i was a kid. dun want history to repeat on mine... :bleah: it's better & healthier too for shay_d too if he quits... smoking definitely affects the chromosomes as well...

thank you bonkitty~:yamseng:! !!

i understand the smoking part and i totally agree...it's better to quit smoking and keep clear for a while before having a kid cause the body takes a while to clear the toxins...

somemore, i work with children with disabilities and all these whatever toxins etc can cause defects in the chromosomes...and even the slightest change in the genetic matter can cause major issues in the baby...

sometimes, i'm also scared to have a kid... :dribble:

Hi Redcrystal,

Oh paiseh avatar pic very small... original pic bigger leh. You using Internet Explorer? Actually can right-click on the picture and then "Save Picture As..." somewhere on your desktop, then open the picture can see clearer liao. Easy right? :) If use Firefox lagi easy - just right-click on pic and choose "View Picture"

Anyways decided to just post the few pics up for your benefit... :dunno:

View from the kitchen door (the same one as my avatar):

View from the other end of the kitchen (where you see the fridge - the fridge is facing the kitchen door):

Got a better picture? :bleah:

Well, hopefully your id can push ahead with your renovations.... sometimes you just have to :notti: them to get cracking. Your id company is Sum* Des* is it? Saw in the forum Alister also had problems with his id from same co.... we also asked Alister's id for a quote but was not that impressed with his initial designs.

:yamseng:

Ptro

Hi Ptro,

thank you, you r so kind.

i like yr kitchen cabinet - simple and neat!! :bleah:

with the L-shape cabinet, can hv more storage and top area, very nice. :bleah:

just too bad, id did not suggest this to me even though hv told him sink area very small. :yamseng:

my kitchen layout quite similar as yrs, with dining table and fridge switch places.

@ yr washing machine area, is my tall unit.

to those neighbours who signed up with the same id, if you r not rushing then no problem else better control their timing and co-ordination.

up-todate, watever they hv done, i'm happy with it but their co-ordination and timing sucks big time.

now no confidence anymore, checking everyday to ensure they did wat they said.

Congrats ms_white and shay_d !!

can kpo at yr unit for tis sun house hopping? :dribble:

:dribble:

Hi Liana79B and Snuff Snuff...thank you for your wishes!

Hmmm...don't think we'll have little shay_ds so soon. Hahahaha!!! I'm not prepared to be a mum. :yamseng:

Hi sushibabe!! Thanks!! What time were you there? I think when you saw the gowns was probably when we were back at the new house to rest. :)

Hi a_star...you'll be around this weekend? Will you be joining us for the gathering..with Vivian? :yamseng:

Hi ms_white,

Yes, I am around this weekend. I will be at the house this Saturday afternoon around 2-3 pm. If you want to kpo at my house, you are most welcome. Not much to show, only the flooring is completed, carpentery works scheduled for next week. :dribble:

I should be able to make it for the gathering, but my other half is out of town this weekend :dunno:

Really would like to meet up with people in our block. :dribble:

Gentle reminder: Gathering this Sunday @ Sky Garden @ 5pm.

So far, interested respondents:

1) zanie98: Bringing packet drinks

2) jaCKY777 : TBC

3) Gadgetman : Tiong Bahru Paos from TPY Central

4) Alister : Haven't decide yet

5) Redcrystal : benga1 kueh

6) Shivan : Goreng Pisang?

7) Snuffleupagus (May pop-by ard 5+ )

8) Liana79B: Haig Road Popiah (combination of popiah and fried popiah)

9) shay_d & ms_white : ALMONDE bakery/tarts

10) carelinwen & CraB : most prob cream puffs/eclairs

11) hobbes

12) bonkitty : donuts

13) a_star : TBC

Hi Redcrystal,

Oh paiseh avatar pic very small... original pic bigger leh. You using Internet Explorer? Actually can right-click on the picture and then "Save Picture As..." somewhere on your desktop, then open the picture can see clearer liao. Easy right? :bangwall: If use Firefox lagi easy - just right-click on pic and choose "View Picture"

Anyways decided to just post the few pics up for your benefit... :D

nwfs55.jpg

View from the other end of the kitchen (where you see the fridge - the fridge is facing the kitchen door):

9bkgux.jpg

Got a better picture? :D

Ptro

Idea leh to push all the way in for the washing the cooking area..... I used the entire kitchen as kitchen. Too bad mine done up already. The normal kitchen layout.

Idea leh to push all the way in for the washing the cooking area..... I used the entire kitchen as kitchen. Too bad mine done up already. The normal kitchen layout.

i should have seen this earlier...... mine is also the normal kitchen layout.... i have a long kitchen... i didnt think of this manz.... haiz....

Did you removed the HDB hanging rods??

I put my dining table in the 'already quite small' living room...

Hi Redcrystal,

Oh paiseh avatar pic very small... original pic bigger leh. You using Internet Explorer? Actually can right-click on the picture and then "Save Picture As..." somewhere on your desktop, then open the picture can see clearer liao. Easy right? :bangwall: If use Firefox lagi easy - just right-click on pic and choose "View Picture"

Anyways decided to just post the few pics up for your benefit... :D

nwfs55.jpg

9bkgux.jpg

Got a better picture? :)

Well, hopefully your id can push ahead with your renovations.... sometimes you just have to 8| them to get cracking. Your id company is Sum* Des* is it? Saw in the forum Alister also had problems with his id from same co.... we also asked Alister's id for a quote but was not that impressed with his initial designs.

:D

Ptro

Hi Ptro,

What is the total length of your kitchen cabinet?

Hi neighbours,

Was just wondering besides doing the usual check for defects in your flat, did anyone do a "Flood Test" for their bathrooms?

That means to seal up the drainage exit and flood the entire bathroom area, including the sink and shower area, with water to about 1" and let it sit overnight. It is meant to test the waterproof-ness of the tiles/membrane.

Do you think it's necessary? I've got a friend's friend who is working in HDB saying that it's better to test it now than to wait for the tiles to 'pop' should there be any unlucky leakage in future.

:bangwall:

Hey Mrs_Png,

Of course lcy's son is also 1 year... :notti: Because we have the same son!

Yup actually lcy is my missus... :D :D She already told me about you, that you also have a son about same age as ours, when she first joined Renotalk.

BTW, interesting t-blog, have been following it... keep updating! :good:

:D

Ptro

Hey Ms_white, welcome to the Mrs group... hee... congrats on your big day!:dunno: both of u are very good looking, little shay_ds must be very handsome and pretty too!:dunno: hee...

Ptro, my son is also 1 year + .. haa... got companion le... they can go school together... hee... think icy's son is also 1 year...

Hi Redcrystal / aural / tension,

Thanks for all your accolades for my kitchen! :dunno: :dunno:

This space planning is done by our ID, we just told him we die die want the dining table in the kitchen. As this was NOT a normal thing to do, lcy and I were cracking our heads and were using Google Sketch-Up to see how we could do it... :D Like I said in my earlier post, we chose this ID because he is the only one out of the 3 IDs we went to who is willing and able to design such a requirement into our kitchen nicely. :good: :good:

Redcrystal:

Judging by how you describe your kitchen is.... you should get quite a roomy kitchen even with the dining table in, but very little kitchen cabinet and top. :D Even sink and hob would be very tight.... BTW, where is your washing machine then?

Anyway, aren't you affected by the column facing the kitchen entrance? Either your dining table would be small to match the column or there would be dead space with the dining table jutting out a bit....

Also, did you make a door for your kitchen? I didn't because I still want to move my dining table out easily when I have guests...

Sorry so kpo ask so many questions... :P

Tension:

1) Length of my kitchen cabinet? Haiz, Redcrystal also asked me the same question, just that I too lazy to check.... okok... will go and dig up my files :D within the next few nights....

2) Yup I removed the HDB clothes rack... now want to sell it... any lobangs? :deal:

:notti:

Ptro

Hi Redcrystal,

Anyways decided to just post the few pics up for your benefit... :notti:

nwfs55.jpg

9bkgux.jpg

Got a better picture? :(

Well, hopefully your id can push ahead with your renovations.... sometimes you just have to :D them to get cracking. Your id company is Sum* Des* is it? Saw in the forum Alister also had problems with his id from same co.... we also asked Alister's id for a quote but was not that impressed with his initial designs.

:P

Ptro

Hi Ptro,

I must say that that's quite a refreshing way to do up the kitchen. Most of us would have gone for a full kitchen layout. Nice job there!

But I guess this solution may not work for my 5-room unit in any case. Our kitchens, for some reasons, are much shorter and would not fit both the dining table and the fridge without crushing up something in the process!

Even with a full kitchen, I am already facing a space crunch now. That's because our already-small kitchen is supposed to double-up as a wash area as well! Put in the washing machine, dryer, laundry basket, pails, rubbish bin etc. etc. and we are already out of space! :dunno::bangwall::D

Hi jaCK777,

- if i do not intend 2 reno & move in so soon, can i not apply e water & elect & gas account 4 e time being?

Yes you can. You may apply the utilities a few days before your reno starts.

- if i do not apply an account now, there wont b water & elect supply, can i stil check 4 defects or malfuction?

(read somewhere dat there is water supply for 3 days & is sufficient 2 check 4 chockage etc)

Remember to bring a phillips screwdriver and testpen/power adapter with light indicator to your new home

1) Water - Tap head and screw found in the letterbox to fix at water riser with the phillips screwdriver (do not drop the screw).

2) Electric - Make sure the electrical meter in the riser is not cable-tied and stick with a yellow sticker before you can "ON" all your circuits (from riser to MCB) to test 13A/15A socket with the testpen.

3) Defects - You can have up to a year to submit the defects but the best is to get all your defects done before your reno or before the Blk 79C Service Centre "close shop".

- if i open an account now but do not utilize e water & elect 4 e nex 6 mths or so, wat wil b e mthly bill i need 2 pay?

Items you need to pay are Sanitary Applicance Fee ($6 - 2 toilet fittings), Refuse Removal (depends on company collecting the waste) plus GST per month.

My intention is 2 start reno mayb 3mths later & move in once reno completes.

- Wat is e best possible suggestions? (eg. wen 2 apply SP services, telcom etc. Wen submit defects list?)

You can plan your time/schedule, but you must have some lead times for Service Centre to rectify all the defects (can take months depending on defects type) and for your ID to touch up the leftovers after your reno.

Good Luck for your key collection. :P

Hey Zincy,

Thank You for replying, its very informative.

I appreciate it. :bangwall:

If u do not intend to start reno, no need to apply for SP Services yet. After collecting your keys, you should go up to your new flat to check up on water and power. You should have a few days grace to do this.

You should only apply for SP services a week before you start renovation. They will schedule a tech to come down to turn on your power and water and take a meter reading at the same time. If you have not checked your water and power, you should do so now before your reno starts.

You must submit your defects list to HDB before your reno starts, best to do it at least 1 week before the reno, then HDB got time to fix the defects, otherwise may clash with the reno contractor work.

If you turn on power and water, but do not stay in your house, you do not pay anything, only the monthly fee for the 2 toilets + rubbish deposal fee, I think. It comes up to about $20 per month in all. Others can correct me there. I do not have my SP bill with me at the moment.

Good luck! :dunno:

Hey a_star,

Thank You for replying, its very informative.

I appreciate it. :bangwall:

Hi neighbours,

Was just wondering besides doing the usual check for defects in your flat, did anyone do a "Flood Test" for their bathrooms?

That means to seal up the drainage exit and flood the entire bathroom area, including the sink and shower area, with water to about 1" and let it sit overnight. It is meant to test the waterproof-ness of the tiles/membrane.

Do you think it's necessary? I've got a friend's friend who is working in HDB saying that it's better to test it now than to wait for the tiles to 'pop' should there be any unlucky leakage in future.

:sport-smiley-004:

Hey meepok,

r u goin 2 do e 'water tighness' test?

ours is a new flat lei. 3 yrs cant hack e toilet. Dat means e water proofing provided by hdb is able 2 last at least 3 yrs.

- If within 3yrs, there is leakage, then hdb wil bear all repair cost.

- If after 3 yrs, there is leakage, then u & neighbour below wil bear 50% repair cost each.

- If within 3 yrs, there is leakage, due 2 external parties mishandling, then u gota bear 100% repair cost.

- Yah, dats e method 2 test 4 any water leakage. But its normally done by e contractor who done e waterproofing.

- Owners of resale flat, who hacked, redo kitchen & toilet, sometimes wana play safe by requesting e contractor 2 do e 'water tightness' test.

- Even e owners did not request, by rite, e contractor shd carry out e test on his own olso. :)

As its jus a simple test, no harm trying if u wan. !!

So far i find e units in 79 r nicely constructed by e Constuction Main Contractor. Fyi, dis Main Con quite well-known in e construction industry, they had done many condos project. Also e project was awarded to them wen e building industry was dn yrs bak, only e better 1s with certain annual turnover then can bid 4 e contract. :D

Ur reno ->

e entrance foyer lighting switch pt, i think shd jus install e switch there, run e wires frm e switch behind e wall (fridge area). Its a 90-100mm non-structural wall, so it can b done. But gota b skillfull with e wall tiles. This way, at e entrance foyer, u wont see e trucking running frm e switch up 2 e false ceiling. Even it has 2, it can b laid behind dis wall, at e fridge area. :notti:

Aniway, my unit's defects ->

- main entrance timber door some dents

- living rm window, 1 latch is stuck :)

The rest of e things r ok. (touch-wood).

Wil double check again. :)

Also, my pineapple rolled liao, kana blocked by e household shelter door, canot roll further. Sian leh, scared i canot 'huat' big big liao. :P

Also, e CSO at hdb was professional. She had explained 2 mi,

wat can b done & wat canot b done,

wat shd b done & wat shd not b done.

Mayb she finds mi handsome. 8|

Electical ->

e electrical layout plan given by hdb, i notice dat e elect switch & socket pts r provided at most areas, wires r laid in e floor slab. If in living rm, if 1 intends 2 place e TV at e wall nearer 2 e bedrm, 1 jus need 2 open up & activate e switch or socket outlet. Close up e existing pt. No need to lay conduit in e cement screed, under e floor tiles. Cost involved, can check with ID/Contractor, normally is charge at $ per pt.

Update mi if i'm wrong. :jawdrop:

Water ->

If 1 had not opened an account with SP services & had 'opened door' & do some testing of e toilet fittings, dun b fooled by them.

Any usage of water, e water meter will works.

Once account activated, 'guy' wil cum take reading.

So u say e initial trial test period, izit free?

Update mi if i'm wrong. :dunno:

Gas ->

Gas piping gota arrange with Citygas on a appt day. No matter Instant or Storage Heater, e ID or contractor gota liase with e Citygas guy on e piping location. Cost involved, can check with ID/Contracor, normally is stated in e Contract 1 signed with e ID or Contractor & is abt $100.

Update mi if i'm wrong. :notti:

:sport-smiley-004:

Hey meepok,

r u goin 2 do e 'water tighness' test?

ours is a new flat lei. 3 yrs cant hack e toilet. Dat means e water proofing provided by hdb is able 2 last at least 3 yrs.

- If within 3yrs, there is leakage, then hdb wil bear all repair cost.

- If after 3 yrs, there is leakage, then u & neighbour below wil bear 50% repair cost each.

- If within 3 yrs, there is leakage, due 2 external parties mishandling, then u gota bear 100% repair cost.

- Yah, dats e method 2 test 4 any water leakage. But its normally done by e contractor who done e waterproofing.

- Owners of resale flat, who hacked, redo kitchen & toilet, sometimes wana play safe by requesting e contractor 2 do e 'water tightness' test.

- Even e owners did not request, by rite, e contractor shd carry out e test on his own olso. :o

As its jus a simple test, no harm trying if u wan. !!

So far i find e units in 79 r nicely constructed by e Constuction Main Contractor. Fyi, dis Main Con quite well-known in e construction industry, they had done many condos project. Also e project was awarded to them wen e building industry was dn yrs bak, only e better 1s with certain annual turnover then can bid 4 e contract. :good:

Ur reno ->

e entrance foyer lighting switch pt, i think shd jus install e switch there, run e wires frm e switch behind e wall (fridge area). Its a 90-100mm non-structural wall, so it can b done. But gota b skillfull with e wall tiles. This way, at e entrance foyer, u wont see e trucking running frm e switch up 2 e false ceiling. Even it has 2, it can b laid behind dis wall, at e fridge area. :idea:

Aniway, my unit's defects ->

- main entrance timber door some dents

- living rm window, 1 latch is stuck :(

The rest of e things r ok. (touch-wood).

Wil double check again. ;)

Also, my pineapple rolled liao, kana blocked by e household shelter door, canot roll further. Sian leh, scared i canot 'huat' big big liao. :(

Also, e CSO at hdb was professional. She had explained 2 mi,

wat can b done & wat canot b done,

wat shd b done & wat shd not b done.

Mayb she finds mi handsome. :lol:

Electical ->

e electrical layout plan given by hdb, i notice dat e elect switch & socket pts r provided at most areas, wires r laid in e floor slab. If in living rm, if 1 intends 2 place e TV at e wall nearer 2 e bedrm, 1 jus need 2 open up & activate e switch or socket outlet. Close up e existing pt. No need to lay conduit in e cement screed, under e floor tiles. Cost involved, can check with ID/Contractor, normally is charge at $ per pt.

Update mi if i'm wrong. :dunno:

Water ->

If 1 had not opened an account with SP services & had 'opened door' & do some testing of e toilet fittings, dun b fooled by them.

Any usage of water, e water meter will works.

Once account activated, 'guy' wil cum take reading.

So u say e initial trial test period, izit free?

Gas ->

Gas piping gota arrange with Citygas on a appt day. No matter Instant or Storage Heater, e ID or contractor gota liase with e Citygas guy on e piping location. Cost involved, can check with ID/Contracor, normally is stated in e Contract 1 signed with e ID or Contractor & is abt $100.

!!

Hi Jacky,

Thanks for the advice! In that case, think I'll skip the flood testing for the time being...

As for the wiring for my living room L-box downlights, I'm getting my ID to make a small box to cover up the circuit breaker, along with the trunking and light switch, up to the foyer false ceiling. They initially wanted to "dig" a trench to conceal the wiring from the main centre point in the living hall, but they told me HDB has a rule against "digging" more than 3ft. So in the end, cannot dig.

Same situation for my MBR L-box, cannot dig from the centre point, they wanted to lay trunking on the ceiling, so ugly! So ended up not having L-box in MBR altogether. Just fix the normal room lights good enough.

Will not be fixing a ceiling fan in the hall on second thoughts, may just fix a budget-type designer light with warm lighting there instead. Cos I'm having 8 downlights along my L-Box in the hall. I'm hoping the 8 downlights of 18W will be bright enough for the hall as I'm not fixing any dining light.

Just finished installing the Sys-3 the other day, the aircon fella took almost the whole day to hack and finish everything! They told me the walls have alot of metal structures and wiring. They did the above-height kind of trunking for the gas n water pipes. Cos due to my layout, it's not advisable to lay them above the floor skirting perimeter.

Still plenty of stuff to buy... so far only bought dining table, cooker hob n hood, TV, lights. Will be starting on the floor this Friday... will be going down to kaypoh probably everyday if possible!

!!

happy!:bangwall: my fridge and washing machine are here...

kitchen done now is living rm's furniture.

curtains, sofa and tv console.

Just wondering if anyone has opinion on cloth sofa. During warm days would cloth sofas cause sweat retention. I am still deciding between a leather which can be easily wiped vs a cloth sofa...