Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
Bethel

Toa Payoh Blk 79 Kakis

Hi Neighbours!

Can anybody share some guides or things to lookout for when buying lightings?

We went to those shops located at Balestier and also at Ikea but still have no idea how to select the correct lights. Notice some designs the same but prices varies. Issit due to the bulbs quality? So many varities, really duno how to chose, where to start from. :dunno:

Any good bargains?

Thanks alot!! :)

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Hey neighbours,

ABS trimmings ->

- initially, ABS trimmings were created by Lam Chuan. They r e pioneer & its patented.

- ABS trimmings = 2mm thick

- Edgeband = 1mm thick

- subsequently, other brands came along.

- if 1 were 2 use their laminates 4 carpentry works, then it wil b ez 2 match e laminates & e trimmings. Unless 1 wans different colors or design.

- if 1 were 2 use other brand of laminates (eg. EDL, Formica, Jennings, LamiTak, Senglee) 4 carpentry, end of e day, 1 may hav 2 use bak Lamchuan ABS trimmings. S it is of different brands, e laminates & ABS trimmings colors wil not b exactly e same.

- if e kit cabinet is designed with recessed handles, it wld b clean & neat 2 finish off with ABS trimmings 4 dis recessed & e edges.

- if e kit cabinet is designed with 'designers' handles, then e ABS trimmings r applied only 2 e edges of e cabinet/drawer doors.

- beside kit cabinet, carpentry 4 other areas can olso finish off with ABS trimmings at e edges. If not, it wil b e matching laminates. Additional cost gota take in2 consideration.

- s it is patented, ABS trimmings & edgeband gota send 2 e designated factory 2 process by special machine. During peak seasons, gota take Q no. for doing ABS trimmings, esp b4 CNY.

-> e above info is wat i had obtained frm contractor quite sometime ago. Pls update mi if my info is outdated.

:rolleyes:

crack walls ->

- wen i 1st collected my keys, inspected e unit, everything were ok, xcept a few minor defects according 2 my own standard.

- 1 mth later, wen i revisit my unit, discover dat, some cracks had start 2 appear. esp e wall which r in direct sunlight with Eastern & Western sun. Furthermore, i'm in e high zone, kinda worried dat yrs 2 cum, gota touch-up e cracks occasionally. Dunoe who wil bear e cost?

:o

You can try WINK too. they make customised decals which can stick on walls and glass.

:D

Thanks! I have emailed this company to check out their quotation. But think other places will also have. So will also check out other places. :good:

Hi Neighbours!

We went to those shops located at Balestier and also at Ikea but still have no idea how to select the correct lights. Notice some designs the same but prices varies. Issit due to the bulbs quality? So many varities, really duno how to chose, where to start from. :dunno:

Any good bargains?

Hey ryuki,

- ya, there r many a Lighting Shops along e whole stretch of Balestier Rd. Frm small 2 medium 2 big branches olso hav.

- some of them, e sales ppl r 'ah beng' or 'ah lian' style. Pushy, chop-carrot-head price, empty promises etc.

- there r a few gd recommendation by our fellow neighbours here. But it wil tedious 2 read thru e past postings. Haha.

- there r olso some gd 1s at Jln Besar area, Geylang area with good price.

- products knowledge i may not noe, but watever items u gonna buy, mus b written dn in e invoice. eg. Model no.? Nos. of items? Daylight or warm light? Price of individual items? F.O.C. items? Warranty period?

- best is, take a pix of it with ur cellph s a record or future reference.

:notti:

It's not that great lah. But better than the standard kind. I don't know the blk or unit no. The kopitiam with the fish n chips/western (the fish is v gd, the chips so-so only), and with air-con seating upstairs.

I tried the roti peng so so only.I might went to the wrong place. Can you tell where is the exact location.Thank!

Yes, I did 1 wall in my son's room. See my t-blog. Quite nice - can be a bit dark but did the smallest wall so not overpowering.

anyone here painted red color on the wall? I chose red but I don't like the outcome. Look different from the color book.

Hi Neighbours!

Any good bargains?

i went to 3 lighting shops, 1 in balester, 2 in geylang...

i settle for the cheapest shop which is in geylang...mind you, me and hubby saw some lights selling about $80 cheaper in this shop...and it's the exact model...

i would say, based on your desires, go and compare the prices then decide...dun rush...

Hi Neighbours!

Any good bargains?

Hi Ryuki,

For downlights, a few things to take note of a) Ballast b) Bulb c) The casing

Ballast - try to go for Atco Ballast. The brand name is more reputable

Light Bulbs - ask for Phillip/osram light bulbs

Casing - i dunno how this goes but for me design is my key consideration. Some will quote u very high prices for downlights ($40-$50) and their argument is the casing is of better quality etc. I dunno how true this is as it all looks the same to me.

Additional considerations will be whether u want a single light bulb, the voltage etc. I personally recommend to go for double light bulbs and 13w/18w downlights will be adequate.

I dun think u should be paying more than $30 for a double 13w downlights with atco ballast and phillip/ osram light bulbs.

Then there are spot lights/ halogen lights. Usually will come with a phillips transformer and the bulb itself. The price range varies for depending on the design of the casing or whether u are getting a double spot light holder etc. For me i got my single halogen light with transformer at about $18-$20.

I think a lot of our neighbours bought their lightings from Lights Arcade at Balestier. I bought mine at My Lightnings House also at Balestier. The shop is opposite to Lights Arcade.

For the dining lights, we selected a few options and sought our ID's opinion. Think it will be cheaper that way cos I think the shops will give IDs a cut if we bring the IDs to select lightings. Of course with the ID, things will be more convenient but then it will probably entail a bigger hole in your pockets. Have fun shopping :)

Hi Neighbours!

Any good bargains?

Hi Ryuki,

The neighbours have few lighting shops they recommended...i cant remember the names but one thing for sure I had extremely bad experience from the lighting shops i bought my lights from...L* Lighting & Thomp***Lighting in Shaw Balestier...I was lazy to shop ard for lights thats how i ended buying fm these 2 shops. Their shop is quite big and and near to my current place so I was lazy to source around ....But service is terrible and they are soooo rude...Before purchase they are sooo nice after that :bangwall:

When u decide to get lights at a particular shop do remember to ask if they do replacement if the bulb/ballas or holder is spoilt etc etc? within how many days?? they deliver or u will have to send?? whats their after service like??

it can be really frustrating!! up to today im having problems with the lights!! eeerrrghhh...dun know who do i blame or whos fault - electrician or the product!!

Hi Ryuki,

The neighbours have few lighting shops they recommended...i cant remember the names but one thing for sure I had extremely bad experience from the lighting shops i bought my lights from...L* Lighting & Thomp***Lighting in Shaw Balestier...I was lazy to shop ard for lights thats how i ended buying fm these 2 shops. Their shop is quite big and and near to my current place so I was lazy to source around ....But service is terrible and they are soooo rude...Before purchase they are sooo nice after that :bangwall:

When u decide to get lights at a particular shop do remember to ask if they do replacement if the bulb/ballas or holder is spoilt etc etc? within how many days?? they deliver or u will have to send?? whats their after service like??

it can be really frustrating!! up to today im having problems with the lights!! eeerrrghhh...dun know who do i blame or whos fault - electrician or the product!!

in case you dunno what the *** means... look at liana Signature.. she had the complete shop name written there... hahaha :notti:

Yes, I did 1 wall in my son's room. See my t-blog. Quite nice - can be a bit dark but did the smallest wall so not overpowering.

Is a nice color. What color code is that? From ICI or Nippon?

Hi Meowie, Thanks so much! =D Mine's different although the colour scheme is the same. My ABS trimming is only at the edge, which means the sides are made of laminate material. And so, if the ABS trimming colour is not close to the laminate colour, the door will look like it's been "outlined". Will try to take a pic of mine soon.

Thanks to Yang Guo too =)

hi mapleleaf, is your abs trimming MAtt or Glossy finish? my kitchen cabinet is glossy finish but according to my ID, the trimming is only Matt finish..

cheers,

happy

Hi Neighbours!

Any good bargains?

hi guys, i actually bought my chandalier from china...price is about 20-50% lower than Singapore light shops (anyway they get most from china)..going back again. i can help to buy but may have to carry back or courier back (if it's too heavy)...would need your desired chandalier or lighting photo so that i can try to find similar or close one for you...

just PM mee if interested...