Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
KATHLAM

Retire Before 50

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request
Hi kindly share if you have retired before 50 and find life more enjoyable.

If you live up till 85 and retire at 50, you will need to spend 35 years of your life as a retiree. Is this what you want?

You need financial, social and emotional planning to retire at 50. Alternatively, you can choose to work part time or work that is less demanding and stressful. In this way, you make some money, get to do something and have more spare time.

Cheers!

If you live up till 85 and retire at 50, you will need to spend 35 years of your life as a retiree. Is this what you want?

You need financial, social and emotional planning to retire at 50. Alternatively, you can choose to work part time or work that is less demanding and stressful. In this way, you make some money, get to do something and have more spare time.

Cheers!

Best at 50 or before 50, u have cleared all liabilities like car/house loans, hire purchase, insurance instalments? Children already in U... then can consider below:

$ income

-Drive taxi, part time in insurance/real estate,

- buy shop/stall/private house.... rent out

- stock mkt, in & out...

Liesure

- fishing, music, seaside, planting......

Social

- church, cc, volunteer grp

Edited by bepgof

nowadays, ppl marry late. Give birth late.

by 50 yrs old, children in U. Not ppl will meet this.

nowadays, ppl marry late. Give birth late.

by 50 yrs old, children in U. Not ppl will meet this.

Ya lor, I "almost" hit that. Son in RI sec3, i'am now 46. He will be in army when i reach 50.

Already "calculated" this when deciding to have baby. Anyway, can have liabilities cleared is really shiok when reached 50.

Edited by bepgof

Ya lor, I "almost" hit that. Son in RI sec3, i'am now 46. He will be in army when i reach 50.

Already "calculated" this when deciding to have baby. Anyway, can have liabilities cleared is really shiok when reached 50.

u good.

All plan nice nice.

My husband only 2 yrs younger than you but our son only Pri 3.

I guess my husband only can retired when he reach 60 yrs old

Hi thank you very much for your valuable sharing :)

I am 47 and I am retiring 1st week of June this year. My hubby is working, son is 18 and still schooling.

Car & house fully paid, sufficient savings . I started working since 18 and felt is time to enjoy the other half of my life. For the first 3 months, probably will take it easy - eat & sleep :D thereafter will sign up pet grooming lessons and take up hobbies.

You have retired before 50 and wish to share about your life style??

Actual happening not always follow plans, btw, having plans are better than no plans. Plans must be realistic, in steps, quantifiable, wulo & talak here & there to correction direction ahead, these are management theories - everybody knows this yet "difficult" to workout.

One should be "financially sound"- sensitive to $ and cent & have knowledge on loan/investment, sensitive to overall economic situation/performance, in order to have proper planning.

My experience:

-Reached 40, hair started turning white.

- "Short-sighted" getting from bad to worse, sometimes need magnifying glass for reading.

- Memory becoming "short"- long long ago story/person name can recall, cannot recall ppl's name just introduced !

- Teeth started missing dentist.

Hobbies should be cultivated while young, if possible. Best hobbies are those can exciser body/train brain activities at the sametimes. Should not spend too much time in front of TV, instead should read more relaxing materials-hobbies' books.

- I like line-fishing, have been to all "seasides" of S'pore and a few islands. Have some books.

- I love planting, especially catus/succulents. Have quite some books, even ordered from oversea.

- I love radio-remote control, especially planes. Use lipo battery as well as nitro. Have made a few home-made plane/gliders which fly.

- Love reading ancient chinese "sword fighting" story books.

- Swiming/jogging/cycling

- Like reading financial news/economics. "hand-on" in stock mkt since 1991. Abt 180k "parked" there.

- Got taxi driving liencse, > 10 ys, to standby in case get retrenched.

- Have been to more than 20 countries (due to work & holiday)

- Have only 80K home loan outstanding- still in lockin period. Move-in this Jan 2010. Don't want to pay penalty to get early full redeemption.

- Abt 25K outstanding in car loan, 4 yr to go.

Above are what I can be "proud" of. Forgive my inconsistent "flow of taughts" on this subject - simply too wide.

Edited by bepgof

wow a list of hobbies, thanks for the sharing.

Wife always said I'm a "free man". I hardly sit in front of TV.

-My mo-in-law does the daily cooking, I insist, the whole family (wife, 2 children, in-laws) sit around & have dinner together & communicate. Mom-in-law stay with us. Father-in-law is just a few block away.

Edited by bepgof

I received this from my friend and I wish to share this ......

A long time ago, there was an Emperor who told his horseman that if he could ride on his horse and cover as much land area as he likes, then the Emperor would give him the area of land he has covered. Sure enough, the horseman quickly jumped onto his horse and rode as fast as possible to cover as much land area as he could. He kept on riding and riding, whipping the horse to go as fast as possible. When he was hungry or tired, he did not stop because he wanted to cover as much area as possible. Came to a point when he had covered a substantial area and he was exhausted and was dying. Then he asked himself, "Why did I push myself so hard to cover so much land area? Now I am dying and I only need a very small area to bury myself."

The above story is similar with the journey of our Life. We push very hard everyday to make more money, to gain power and recognition. We neglect our health , time with our family and to appreciate the surrounding beauty and the hobbies we love..

One day when we look back, we will realize that we don't really need that much, but then we cannot turn back time for what we have missed.

Life is not about making money, acquiring power or recognition . Life is definitely not about work! Work is only necessary to keep us living so as to enjoy the beauty and pleasures of life. Life is a balance of Work , Family and Personal time.. You have to decide how you want to balance your Life. Define your priorities, realize what you are able to compromise but always let some of your decisions be based on your instincts. Happiness is the meaning and the purpose of Life, the whole aim of human existence.

So, take it easy, do what you want to do and appreciate nature. Life is fragile, Life is short. Do not take Life for granted. Live a balanced lifestyle and enjoy Life!

Watch your thoughts ; they become words.

Watch your words ; they become actions.

Watch your actions ; they become habits.

Watch your habits; they become character .

Watch your character; it becomes your destiny .

LIFE IS SHORT SO MAKE IT SWEET...

I received this from my friend and I wish to share this ......

A long time ago, there was an Emperor who told his horseman that if he could ride on his horse and cover as much land area as he likes, then the Emperor would give him the area of land he has covered. Sure enough, the horseman quickly jumped onto his horse and rode as fast as possible to cover as much land area as he could. He kept on riding and riding, whipping the horse to go as fast as possible. When he was hungry or tired, he did not stop because he wanted to cover as much area as possible. Came to a point when he had covered a substantial area and he was exhausted and was dying. Then he asked himself, "Why did I push myself so hard to cover so much land area? Now I am dying and I only need a very small area to bury myself."

The above story is similar with the journey of our Life. We push very hard everyday to make more money, to gain power and recognition. We neglect our health , time with our family and to appreciate the surrounding beauty and the hobbies we love..

One day when we look back, we will realize that we don't really need that much, but then we cannot turn back time for what we have missed.

Life is not about making money, acquiring power or recognition . Life is definitely not about work! Work is only necessary to keep us living so as to enjoy the beauty and pleasures of life. Life is a balance of Work , Family and Personal time.. You have to decide how you want to balance your Life. Define your priorities, realize what you are able to compromise but always let some of your decisions be based on your instincts. Happiness is the meaning and the purpose of Life, the whole aim of human existence.

So, take it easy, do what you want to do and appreciate nature. Life is fragile, Life is short. Do not take Life for granted. Live a balanced lifestyle and enjoy Life!

Watch your thoughts ; they become words.

Watch your words ; they become actions.

Watch your actions ; they become habits.

Watch your habits; they become character .

Watch your character; it becomes your destiny .

LIFE IS SHORT SO MAKE IT SWEET...

Haha, u've got the wisdom. Very very true. What man "lacks" is just that little moment to cool his mind down at night and "look back" what he did, the gains he made, & what he's lost.

Soloman said "What does man gain from all his labour at which he toils under the sun?", "For with much wisdom comes much sorrow; the more knowledge, the more grief."

Edited by bepgof

well the issue w singapore is always peer pressure. its a race to be better than the pple ard you, even neighbours and neighbour children whom u hardly see - our very rat race in our hearts.

well if everyone can b contented w a 1.6 and a 4/5 room hdb, i thk w the current payscales that young pple are taking now, im quite sure quite alot can retire before 50. think double income and earning in excess of 100k pa is not far off for someone in the 30s.

but if one succumbs to peer pressure (note its not even personal ideals or dreams - its just i cant lose to my fren. i came fr a better JC, first things first.), he wil end up like the horseman, finding no joy in everything he does.

well the issue w singapore is always peer pressure. its a race to be better than the pple ard you, even neighbours and neighbour children whom u hardly see - our very rat race in our hearts.

well if everyone can b contented w a 1.6 and a 4/5 room hdb, i thk w the current payscales that young pple are taking now, im quite sure quite alot can retire before 50. think double income and earning in excess of 100k pa is not far off for someone in the 30s.

but if one succumbs to peer pressure (note its not even personal ideals or dreams - its just i cant lose to my fren. i came fr a better JC, first things first.), he wil end up like the horseman, finding no joy in everything he does.

You mean hubby and wife earns in excess of $100K each or combined income of $100K ???