Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
discoburg

Paint Peeling

tats bad for consumers...i don't really care what they do, as long as the walls are painted and don't peel. My walls are not plastered, so i wasn't expecting them to plaster for me of course. I won't expect the walls to be totally smooth but peeling is not acceptable, thats for sure.

would you accept that painters paint your house and it peels off?

Nobody want their painters to paint their house and see their paint peel off. Painting is also a skill. Don't expect to pay for a cherry qq and expect a bmw quality. How many will really want to pay to scrap off the old paint b4 applying new coats? Most will actually pay to apply new coats over the old coats. But for sure, plastering wall or raw wall really need to apply sealant and sealant got oil and water based type. And btw I know how to ensure that the painters paint my hse and its won't peels off.

When plastering not dry yet, don't paint the wall, even thru the surface is dry, doesn't mean the internally is completely dry. When painter was ask to paint the walls, they may not know that its not completely dry so when the paint is peeling off, who to blame, the owner, contractor/ID or the painter? This is just 1 good example. Another example is chalky old coat of paint. Anyway, my knowledge for paint is limited.

Paint peeling off is normally the consequence of fire or water damage, not poor painting techniques.

1 of the main/common causes for paint peeling off is the Moisture.

Moisture can be migrating from behind the paint film and causing the paint to lift.

This is few of the websites to know about why paint is peeling off Why my paint is peeling off

Painting Q&A

:yamseng: No hard feeling gimz. :) I do know sometime is the painters faults by cutting corners cause most of them want the easy way out rather than take the effort to check on the condition of the walls first or adding water into the paint or mixing it with left over paint. Nobody want the paint to peel off, not even the painter but for this case, the ID/painter should actually try to help out rather than just push all the blame to the owner.

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Hi Jaskel,

Indeed painting is not as easy as taking the paint to apply, alot of knowledge/experience is required, on top of hard work and back aches if we try to DIY.

The ID/contractor must be the one coordinating painters and plasterers so if they paint before its ok definitely means they aren't doing their work properly.

My 30 yr old hse is great example. Too many drilled holes, many layers of old paint and unplastered in most areas. Contractor assured us that they will pull up all the old screws, sand smooth and apply base coat, everything. When things screw up, he said we cannot sand the whole house mah.

My reply is of course that if u say that u will sand then u have to do it. Some old screws are not removed as well. They even did not remove the old wire casings to paint that area. I wasn't expecting 100% smooth walls which is unrealistic, but they obviously cut corners till a stage its unacceptable to a lay-man.

We had to get into a quarelling session with the ID and painter to get things done. But who knows how long the stuff would last before defects show up again...? I can just hope for the best.

No hard feelings of course, i am coming from the point of view of a frustrated consumer and am sure many share the same concern.

The ID/contractor must be the one coordinating painters and plasterers so if they paint before its ok definitely means they aren't doing their work properly.

You are precisely correct on this.

After experienced what I have had experienced, I suggested my ID to get both the plasterer & painter from same co for her own good.

I have false ceiling/downlown, whole house re-plastered, before sanding start, painting started and left all the urgly maks - might as well don't do plastering! ID got a bad scolding from me and now still in progress of clearing the **** - problem is ppl is already move in. I hold back 10% retention sum because of this. I have to do the sanding on my own!

Today will do partial re-painting. I again told my ID: "I do not want to see 2 tones of color in one wall".

Edited by bepgof

Hi Jaskel,

Indeed painting is not as easy as taking the paint to apply, alot of knowledge/experience is required, on top of hard work and back aches if we try to DIY.

My 30 yr old hse is great example. Too many drilled holes, many layers of old paint and unplastered in most areas. Contractor assured us that they will pull up all the old screws, sand smooth and apply base coat, everything. When things screw up, he said we cannot sand the whole house mah.

My reply is of course that if u say that u will sand then u have to do it. Some old screws are not removed as well. They even did not remove the old wire casings to paint that area. I wasn't expecting 100% smooth walls which is unrealistic, but they obviously cut corners till a stage its unacceptable to a lay-man.

We had to get into a quarelling session with the ID and painter to get things done. But who knows how long the stuff would last before defects show up again...? I can just hope for the best.

No hard feelings of course, i am coming from the point of view of a frustrated consumer and am sure many share the same concern.

Base coat is base coat and base coat is not sealant, 2 different material. I do understand your point of view cos I saw your T-blog :D Sometimes is the sequence of works need to be right. eg. wiring need to be done before painting or after painting? As I didn't know the full picture of it, what I normally see is that painter don't remove casing, they will paint over the casing.

You are precisely correct on this.

After experienced what I have had experienced, I suggested my ID to get both the plasterer & painter from same co for her own good.

I have false ceiling/downlown, whole house re-plastered, before sanding start, painting started and left all the urgly maks - might as well don't do plastering! ID got a bad scolding from me and now still in progress of clearing the **** - problem is ppl is already move in. I hold back 10% retention sum because of this. I have to do the sanding on my own!

Today will do partial re-painting. I again told my ID: "I do not want to see 2 tones of color in one wall".

If painters and plasterers are from the ID/contractor, then ID/contractor need to coordinate the works, but what if either one of them is engage from the owner himself?

A bit unsure on the ugly marks u r referring at? Did u mean 1 patch, 1 patch of different tones or? Btw, are u using ICI Light & Space paint? Just curious. :)

If painters and plasterers are from the ID/contractor, then ID/contractor need to coordinate the works, but what if either one of them is engage from the owner himself?

A bit unsure on the ugly marks u r referring at? Did u mean 1 patch, 1 patch of different tones or? Btw, are u using ICI Light & Space paint? Just curious. :)

Same ID who engaged different companies. I considered she failed the coordination work.

Imaged after plasterering, some drops of plaster on the wall & painter just painted over. Along casement window edges, surfaces are as bad as roadside stone & painted over. Has nothing to do with paint type but the coordination part was poor. I have an major reno cost me close to 100k.

Edited by bepgof

Base coat is base coat and base coat is not sealant, 2 different material. I do understand your point of view cos I saw your T-blog :D Sometimes is the sequence of works need to be right. eg. wiring need to be done before painting or after painting? As I didn't know the full picture of it, what I normally see is that painter don't remove casing, they will paint over the casing.

what u saw was definitely tip of an iceberg :o however, as contractor had rectified most of the works, we shall not load up the pictures on our side.

Just to clarify, we wanted to paint first, then do electrical. Followed by touch up paint after electrical works and air con casings.

Reason being we wanted the industrial round casings in the whole house, so we wanted to keep the unpainted look. But now, we have had some minor changes and will use round casings in some areas only.

Sorry for the OT.

Back to painting, my current house uses Matex paint. In future i want to re-paint, i can simply paint over? Was told that one advantage of Matex paint is that if you paint over a small section at a later time, the difference in colour is not obvious. (FYI, i am using white colour)

Thanks!!

what u saw was definitely tip of an iceberg :o however, as contractor had rectified most of the works, we shall not load up the pictures on our side.

Just to clarify, we wanted to paint first, then do electrical. Followed by touch up paint after electrical works and air con casings.

Reason being we wanted the industrial round casings in the whole house, so we wanted to keep the unpainted look. But now, we have had some minor changes and will use round casings in some areas only.

Sorry for the OT.

Back to painting, my current house uses Matex paint. In future i want to re-paint, i can simply paint over? Was told that one advantage of Matex paint is that if you paint over a small section at a later time, the difference in colour is not obvious. (FYI, i am using white colour)

Thanks!!

We painted the whole house 2 weeks ago. We re-painted 1 wall section with Nippon Vinilex green colour paint yesterday. We don't see any difference in colour tone.

Walls will collect dust and dirt over time. The paint color on our walls will become duller as the years go by. After a few years, I doubt we can re-paint small patch on the wall without any difference in tone. :P Most likely we will have to re-paint the whole room.

Edited by forgotten