Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
sin77

Aircon Dilemma For 2 Rooms Combined As 1

For those who hacked 2 rooms to become 1, please advise:

1. whether I should use inverter or non-inverter system based on 10 to 12 hrs of usage everyday?

2. should I go for 1 powerful unit or 2 normal units?

3. is there anyway to minimise wastage, such as having a drawn curtain? I try not to have a door/divider because of fenghui.

Sidetrack - is it considered legal or illegal to move MBR bathroom sink/basin into the MBR itself? Will I get a fine when one day I want to sell away the flat with such a setting?

Thank you.

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

1. whether I should use inverter or non-inverter system based on 10 to 12 hrs of usage everyday?

3. is there anyway to minimise wastage, such as having a drawn curtain? I try not to have a door/divider because of fenghui.

4. how much more $ to pay for electricity (in percentage) as compared to just a normal room size.

Sidetrack - is it considered legal or illegal to move MBR bathroom sink/basin into the MBR itself? Will I get a fine when one day I want to sell away the flat with such a setting?

Thank you.

Air-con issues:

1) Inverter will be a good way to save your electic bill but the air-con itself will be slight more expensive thats for sure. But look at long term.

2) That will depends on the surface area of your 2 rooms combination. A normal room will required 12000BTU BUT if it your combine room also can used 12000BTU still it will take longer time to cool down. You can seek advise from gain city or other professional for advise. Then you can consider again.

3) minimize usage there is but still depends on the level you stay, evening sun or morning sun due to sun shine on the wall will make the room warm therefore will affect the room temperature and cause the air-con to work harder. :P Since your are using a range of 10 ~ 12hrs usage per day will be good to have maintance at least 1year twice. That will save on ur bills too.

4) from your usage 10~12hrs and for this few months hot weather, the bill will be higher about 10% +- still if depends on what degree of your air-con is being adjusted.

Sidetrack issue:

ask yourself, if you were the buyer would you want it?

i think this depends on the function(s) of the room you are having. For us, two bedrooms were combined into one with one side being the sleeping area and the other side is the walk-in wardrobe area. Our air-con blower is in the sleeping area and we're had a slightly bigger than std blower. If std blower is 12000 btu, then i think the one we have is 1500btu. The aircon is good for the entire room. We got an inverter. Just got our first utility bill. About $100 (for 5-room) whereby we turned on the air-con whenever we are in the house. So basically, aircon was turned on whenever we're in the house which is about 12-14 hours a day and the aircon we have cools the place down really fast. So i think the inverter helped in a lower utility bill. Hence, i would recommend an inverter aircon.

Thank you.

It depends on what kind of system you have at the moment. Currently do you have a system 3 or system 2 for the rest of the house. Are you looking at a new condensor unit for just the room? Are you staying in HDB or Condo, as again there would be different limitations of how many condensor units you can install outside the building.