Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
Chris Loup

Hdb Flat, What Is Allowed? Conceal Toilet Pvc Pipes, Inlet Water To Shower Mixer (cold/hot), Toilet Windows

I'm just double checking here.

anyone knows about this.

a) can I replace the louvred type of windows of a hdb flat to a single glass panel awning type?

b) can I conceal the pvc piping? anyone have any ideas of this. I was thinking of some means of using something like a tile backed cement aquaboard/ hardibacker board? does anyone have any ideas on how this can be accomplished, if hdb wants it to be able to provide access. (at least to hoard/block up the pipes from floor to wall)

c) can the water pipes leading from heater to the shower mixer be concealed?

~~

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

anyone knows about this.

a) can I replace the louvred type of windows of a hdb flat to a single glass panel awning type?

b) can I conceal the pvc piping? anyone have any ideas of this. I was thinking of some means of using something like a tile backed cement aquaboard/ hardibacker board? does anyone have any ideas on how this can be accomplished, if hdb wants it to be able to provide access. (at least to hoard/block up the pipes from floor to wall)

~~

I think I can help answer for ©. New pipings installed over the course of a renovation for a typical HDB unit are not allowed to be concealed within the walls.

Cheers!

What do u mean hcbing? So concealed is not allowed?

Yeah, I believe that's right. At least, that's what I understand from the renovation guidebook and from the feedback of several contractors, not to mention from the folks here.

Yeah, I believe that's right. At least, that's what I understand from the renovation guidebook and from the feedback of several contractors, not to mention from the folks here.

how about indirect concealment.

eg: to build a cement ledge above the piping itself. the piping remains accessible. the ledge would be something like a L shape where the piping is exposed beneath.

(ie: imagine a large trunking made of cement with the water pipe beneath with the bottom part of the trunking permanently removed to allow access. the top part of the ledge can easily be used to put your shampooo bottles and other toiletries)

how about indirect concealment.

eg: to build a cement ledge above the piping itself. the piping remains accessible. the ledge would be something like a L shape where the piping is exposed beneath.

(ie: imagine a large trunking made of cement with the water pipe beneath with the bottom part of the trunking permanently removed to allow access. the top part of the ledge can easily be used to put your shampooo bottles and other toiletries)

Hmm...that I'm not too sure dude. You'd probably need to approach an ID or contractor you know on that. What I do understand is that hiding it up with the typical gypsum boards would be okay since that's just box-up and easily removed.

Cheers!

anyone knows about this.

~~

U cant conceal anything in a hdb unit...may it be piping or wiring. But u can box up, just like L-box, feature wall, cabinet, etc, hiding all the wiring, piping...

hi all, I had a talk with HDB officer in charge of reno approval for my flat.

he says.

1) changing of toilet window type from adjustable louvre to the casement/awning type = not allowed. change to sliding type = not allowed. I asked for the reasons, but I believe the reasons are not appropiate/or general.. so its one of those kind of no means no policy.

reasons given why changing to casement not allow:

a) to maintain the same aesthetics/building facade. (however, my counterpoint was: living room windows are all different for all apartments, some sliding, some casement, some awning, some louvred)

b) a casement window allows you to open all the way, thus exposing the window panel to litter from the top floors that may shatter the glass. (my counterpoint, there is a protective ledge above the window area, the entire window area is recessed, thus opening the casing window does not expose the window to litter to top. and why not sliding windows then. hdb officer has no convincing reason why sliding windows cannot be approved)

2) concealment of pvc piping in a non permanent manner, he says this is reflected in hdb guidelines, yes, you can conceal it from view (eg: box it up etc) as long as you can give hdb maintenance access to the area.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

my reno contractor says it will cost $700 to do the boxing up in calcium silicate boards. he also says lafarge aquaboard = calcium silicate.

does anyone have an idea where to order lafarge aquaboard/aqua panel in singapore? and the estimated PSF ? I would like to double check.

3) permanent sealing up of waterpipes = not allowed. however, i can create structures to visibly hide it, as long as maintenance access is available.

(reason for this: hdb says its for the good of home owner in case of future need for maintenance, you will save costs, it may make sense in countries where the temperature falls below freezing and burst pipes are a concern ... but... )

the specific guidelines the hdb officer mentioned are

http://www.hdb.gov.sg/fi10/fi10324p.nsf/w/...ks?OpenDocument

1) concealment of pvc pipes = Enclosure/encasement of service ducts/pipings using lightweight non-combustible materials Need to provide access opening for maintenance

To HDB:

a) can I replace the louvred type of windows of a hdb flat toilet (master/common) to awning type?

b) can I conceal the vertical pvc piping in a removable/demountable manner ?

I was thinking of some means of using something like a tile backed cement aquaboard/ hardibacker board. so that the pipes are behind a false wall that can be removed on demand .

c) can the hot water pipes leading from heater to the shower mixer be concealed?

d) can the cold water pipes leading to the shower mixer be concealed.

they are steel by the way.

if they can be concealed, under what means can they be concealed?

eg: encased in cement, or behind a false wall,

or beneath a wall mounted cement ledge hidden from direct view yet permitting access at any time.

from HDB:

a) No, awning type louvre windows are not allowed.

b) Yes, you can box up the soil/waste pipe. But they must be accessible for repairs or maintance work. Should the Town Council need to replace these pipes the dismantling of boxing and subsequent reinstatement are the responsibility of the lessee.

c) and d) You can conceal the water service pipe (hot or cold) but it can not be laid in the floor slab. You can only laid it in the screed for the tiling. And lessee will be responsibile for any leakages arising from the concealment.

For more information on renovations guidelines please visit our website hdbinforweb under renovation guidebook at hdb.gov.sg

Yours sincerely,

TANG CHIT HOONG

HIGHER TECHNICAL OFFICER I(H&M)

HOUSING ADMINISTRATION DEPARTMENT

From HDB renovation guldelines.

Concealed waste/water pipes in floor finishes/wall

* Floor slab and wall must not be tampered with.

From HDB renovation guldelines.

Concealed waste/water pipes in floor finishes/wall

* Floor slab and wall must not be tampered with.

yeah. correct, as far as hdb says, you can conceal it in the screed behind the tile.

yeah. correct, as far as hdb says, you can conceal it in the screed behind the tile.

Do you mean conceal behind the tile is ok?

There is a thread at Reno t-Blog Chat shown the conceal water piping. Is it allow?

conceal pipe

Edited by Builder