Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
fengwei

Recommendation For A Decent Sound System.

Just doing a quick pricing via Borderlinx delivery and you could get a Dayton Audio RSS265HF-4 10" Reference HF Subwoofer (350RMS/600W Max, 4 Ohm) for S$240 or a Peerless 830452 10" XLS Subwoofer (150RMS/300Max 8 ohm) for S$256 delivered from the US. Add to them a Bash 500W Digital Subwoofer Amplifier at S$347 and around S$60 for sundries (feet, grill etc) and you have all but the case for a sub at S$650. You can either make a case from MDF or plywood or go the sonosub route is you can find a high density card tube of the right size. Maybe source a carpenter to make one to your spec if the price is right and you should be able to get a great sub for a fraction of what it would cost to buy a commercial sub at the same level.

Of course this is just a very quick pairing and there are probably better combinations of amps and speakers there. This is purely to give an idea.

RB

Ah .. if only someone wants to make, I don't mind buying ... ;) ;) ;) Hint hint ..

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation
Ah .. if only someone wants to make, I don't mind buying ... ;) ;) ;) Hint hint ..

I would love to make. My father is/was a carpenter as was my grandfather. Unfortunately where as their motto was "measure twice, cut once" mine is more the case of "measure twice, cut once, curse, cut two more times, curse again, throw away and restart". Ok, not quite that bad.

I might give it a go when funds permit and if it works out really well then I may look at doing for others for a moderate fee :deal:;).

Need to source local supplies especially of the card tube for it to be a great success though or international prices for shipping will be a killer.

RB

Nice set up. But have u audition them yet?

Why Yamaha?

Mainly cos my needs are 50% music, and I was told that the Onkyo (608 at least) is more for HT than music. Was told by Alan in KEC that Yamaha kind of sits in the middle of the spectrum between HT and music, with Denon leaning more towards the music end. Intending to audition them at Anson Audio since they seem to carry both Yamahas and Onkyos.

OK You know the limitation of 608. The 708 is a different class altogether.

What sub you intend you pair with your KEF?

Cheers.

No idea about subs to be honest. Haven't really listened to them yet. In terms of price, cheapest 'decent'(reputation wise) sub seems to be the CHT-8Q ($799). Am willing to go up to about $1k or so but not alot above that. In any case, I'm not really intending to annoy my neighbours (too much) :D

Hi,

Is it better to get HTS from overseas(eg, USA)? As I always shipped blurays from Amazon US cos it's alot cheaper than SG, I wonder if the HTS is also cheaper overseas than in Singapore.

Hi,

Is it better to get HTS from overseas(eg, USA)? As I always shipped blurays from Amazon US cos it's alot cheaper than SG, I wonder if the HTS is also cheaper overseas than in Singapore.

No local warranty. It is fine if it does not go wrong. I looked at getting a projector from the US as it was almost 50% cheaper (excluding delivery) but if it died then it would be 2k+ of dead plastic. Also the US uses 110v so you need a stepdown transformer and the UK is not much cheaper than Singapore for new stuff but you can get some better deals there. You need to work out if the deals + postage are still better than Singapore prices considering the warranty issues.

I order BluRays from the US (Amazon) as the bargain discs are around S$20 or so after delivery so saving S$10/disc on Singapore bargain prices (2 for S$60).

RB

Edited by RimBlock

Need to source local supplies especially of the card tube for it to be a great success though or international prices for shipping will be a killer.

Ok, the tubes are sold in Singapore by Sonoco. WOuld need to see if they would sell to a customer as I believe they are a distributor more interested in bulk orders.

RB

No local warranty. It is fine if it does not go wrong. I looked at getting a projector from the US as it was almost 50% cheaper (excluding delivery) but if it died then it would be 2k+ of dead plastic. Also the US uses 110v so you need a stepdown transformer and the UK is not much cheaper than Singapore for new stuff but you can get some better deals there. You need to work out if the deals + postage are still better than Singapore prices considering the warranty issues.

I order BluRays from the US (Amazon) as the bargain discs are around S$20 or so after delivery so saving S$10/disc on Singapore bargain prices (2 for S$60).

RB

Drexter,

U have to pay GST as well for overseas purchase in excess of S$400. Not much savings if you factored in all these other costs. You thinking of getting Emotiva ah?

Cheers

I would love to make. My father is/was a carpenter as was my grandfather. Unfortunately where as their motto was "measure twice, cut once" mine is more the case of "measure twice, cut once, curse, cut two more times, curse again, throw away and restart". Ok, not quite that bad.

I might give it a go when funds permit and if it works out really well then I may look at doing for others for a moderate fee :deal:;).

RB

Not a bad start for generating-$$ hobby, eh ?

Cheers :D

Drexter,

U have to pay GST as well for overseas purchase in excess of S$400. Not much savings if you factored in all these other costs. You thinking of getting Emotiva ah?

Cheers

No la, just an idea. Anyway, I think better not get electronics without warranty.... Blurays still ok

UH OH

Check out what's in our backseat:

5534940816_e329870302.jpg

(we had to put the top down for it to fit)

5534942500_6711b0ef45_m.jpg

5534942940_0f1b864421_m.jpg

The seller sure had a crazy collection - vintage huge-*** Altec Lansings, Thiel speakers, Dynaco pre-amps, MK speakers, AR valve amps, inFocus projectors, Sorcerer speakers - and a whole lot more shrink-wrapped and boxed. He's preparing to move in a couple of weeks and trying to sell off his stuff as he has nowhere to place it (and I believe him - judging from the collection).

Watched "David Foster & Friends" concert in his bedroom, and the sound was very clean. The husband couldn't resist though I was a little hesitant. I think I would need to play around with tuning to get the sound I'll like - it was a little too crisp? It is, however, in mint condition - not even a speck of dust, and the manual in still in the packet. Also got new Better Cables Silver Serpent cable. Husband looked pleased as **** at the monster lying in the backseat but wasn't all smiles when he had to carry it from the 4th floor (no lift). It now stands in my study room and my parents are simply aghast: "what is that THING?!"

I could only roll my eyes as form of apology.

Strangely, this doesn't dent our budget at all - in fact, it pays for the center speaker upgrade so we're back down to 3k. Well, if the man is happy...

-Ely

UH OH

Check out what's in our backseat:

5534940816_e329870302.jpg

(we had to put the top down for it to fit)

5534942500_6711b0ef45_m.jpg

5534942940_0f1b864421_m.jpg

The seller sure had a crazy collection - vintage huge-*** Altec Lansings, Thiel speakers, Dynaco pre-amps, MK speakers, AR valve amps, inFocus projectors, Sorcerer speakers - and a whole lot more shrink-wrapped and boxed. He's preparing to move in a couple of weeks and trying to sell off his stuff as he has nowhere to place it (and I believe him - judging from the collection).

Watched "David Foster & Friends" concert in his bedroom, and the sound was very clean. The husband couldn't resist though I was a little hesitant. I think I would need to play around with tuning to get the sound I'll like - it was a little too crisp? It is, however, in mint condition - not even a speck of dust, and the manual in still in the packet. Also got new Better Cables Silver Serpent cable. Husband looked pleased as **** at the monster lying in the backseat but wasn't all smiles when he had to carry it from the 4th floor (no lift). It now stands in my study room and my parents are simply aghast: "what is that THING?!"

I could only roll my eyes as form of apology.

Strangely, this doesn't dent our budget at all - in fact, it pays for the center speaker upgrade so we're back down to 3k. Well, if the man is happy...

-Ely

How much you bought this giant for? :)

How much you bought this giant for? :)

$750, so a little less than the $799 CHT-8Q. Like many have suggested, xtremeplace is a good site to go.

-Ely

Not a bad start for generating-$$ hobby, eh ?

Cheers :D

Yeah but need to have the cash to get the stuff in before you can build. Need to give it a bit of breathing room as the last renovation payment is almost due and the new baby will be coming in June.

I would love to get this going but guess I will have to wait a bit.

RB

Hi all,

Since I'm not in a hurry, house isn't ready yet. I think I'll go audition other speakers. Thinking of listening to the PSB Image and Focal 700 series. Already listened to B&W 600s, Monitor Audio RX and KEF Q series. Any other suggestions or comments on the PSBs and Focals?

Can I pair a dedicated cd player like marantz to a av receiver like onkyo or denon?but if I were to get an oppo 83 or 93,I'm just wondering do I still need a dedicated player to play music or will the oppo be enough?