Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
buttwiser

Comments On Leather Sofa From Casa Italy

Sigh...I've placed an order of their leather sofa set...

hi, maybe the current set u have ordered will not be that bad? maybe its by batches? new batches maybe better? hopefully.

I would suggest you make sure these items:

1. have them clearly write on your sales invoice the leather mode and "full leather"

2. keep your sales invoice (and particularly the sale order number). Remember which retail outlet you have bought the sofa and who served you (ask for a card)

3. When they deliver check carefully the quality and ask on the spot whenever you have anything in doubt.

Of course do not need to worry too much as we still believe this is a quality issue not something they wanted to "cheat" you.

Good luck!

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

I would suggest you make sure these items:

1. have them clearly write on your sales invoice the leather mode and "full leather"

2. keep your sales invoice (and particularly the sale order number). Remember which retail outlet you have bought the sofa and who served you (ask for a card)

3. When they deliver check carefully the quality and ask on the spot whenever you have anything in doubt.

Of course do not need to worry too much as we still believe this is a quality issue not something they wanted to "cheat" you.

Good luck!

It is not enough to write Full Leather. You need to write Full Cow Leather because Full leather can mean Full Synthetic leather, Full Bonded Leather etc etc etc.

It is not enough to write Full Leather. You need to write Full Cow Leather because Full leather can mean Full Synthetic leather, Full Bonded Leather etc etc etc.

Yes, agree!

Sofa has just been delivered, looks great...but haven't sat on it for a long period yet as have not moved into the new house until mid Oct...hope it can last me at least 5 years...

Was given a warranty card for 5 years warranty on the structure, but not on the leather...hmm....

Sofa has just been delivered, looks great...but haven't sat on it for a long period yet as have not moved into the new house until mid Oct...hope it can last me at least 5 years...

Was given a warranty card for 5 years warranty on the structure, but not on the leather...hmm....

My sofa was not given warranty card but they told me yes 5 year warranty on structure. However they did not warrant on leather and their excuse was like you know your kids would jump on that .... your cats would scratch that ... sort of thing. They just would not promise to you. But what about normal wear and tear?

Can any one share whether they got any warranty on leather when they bough their sofa from any store in Singapore. Is that the normal practice that leather is general not warranted?

Edited by Ted_Muffy

My sofa was not given warranty card but they told me yes 5 year warranty on structure. However they did not warrant on leather and their excuse was like you know your kids would jump on that .... your cats would scratch that ... sort of thing. They just would not promise to you. But what about normal wear and tear?

Can any one share whether they got any warranty on leather when they bough their sofa from any store in Singapore. Is that the normal practice that leather is general not warranted?

Yes and No. If there is any warranty for the leather, it will not exceed one year. The furniture shop will not be that stupid to give you a warranty for PU Leather. Real leather even when defective will not peel the way it was peeling on your sofa as documented by you in those photos. Real leather will crack if not well taken care of, they don't peel off in such huge strips. Over the years, I have seen so many neighbors of mine disposing of their nice expensive leather furniture at the lift landing barely a year after purchase because they were peeling and flaking off like yours.

Yes and No. If there is any warranty for the leather, it will not exceed one year. The furniture shop will not be that stupid to give you a warranty for PU Leather. Real leather even when defective will not peel the way it was peeling on your sofa as documented by you in those photos. Real leather will crack if not well taken care of, they don't peel off in such huge strips. Over the years, I have seen so many neighbors of mine disposing of their nice expensive leather furniture at the lift landing barely a year after purchase because they were peeling and flaking off like yours.

I guess the leather is mostly likely Bicast leather. By Wiki definition: <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bicast_leather>

Bicast leather (also known as bycast leather, split leather or PU. leather) is a split leather with a layer of polyurethane applied to the surface and then embossed. Bycast was originally made for the shoe industry for glossy shoes, and recently was adopted by the furniture industry. The resulting product has an artificially consistent texture that is easier to clean and maintain.

The use of the term "leather" in relation to this bicast treatment is considered a misrepresentation and therefore not permitted in the United Kingdom and New Zealand. Furniture made with bicast exhibits none of the characteristics associated with genuine leather; it will not develop a patina or suppleness nor otherwise "improve with age". With constant use the polyurethane layer will crack and split free of its backing.

I think the quality of the leather would depend on how long it would sustain before the polyurethane layer cracks. You may feel softer and more elastic but that is the trick of polyurethane layer.

Just to update my status. Casa Italy came to have collected my sofa and let me choose another leather from the samples. My conversation to their service centre showed that they were also troubled by their cheating suppliers with the headache. My experience from this is that do not take for granted on the quality of the leather even you source from branded sofa stores. You have to use self judgement to evaluate and protect yourself whatever.

I am expecting them to bring my sofa back in a 4 weeks time.

Edited by Ted_Muffy

Hi all,

Bought my sofa set april last year. Got same experience, patches started to peel off.

The leather is like a thin piece of film, keeps dropping off. Complained, then Casa Italy send a driver to take photos of sofa condition.

Casa Italy say they will send sofa back to Malaysia for upholstery but must pay $300 for Custom Fee.

Any Bros here paid for their repair and how much ??

Advice needed .

Thanks.

Hi all,

Bought my sofa set april last year. Got same experience, patches started to peel off.

The leather is like a thin piece of film, keeps dropping off. Complained, then Casa Italy send a driver to take photos of sofa condition.

Casa Italy say they will send sofa back to Malaysia for upholstery but must pay $300 for Custom Fee.

Any Bros here paid for their repair and how much ??

Advice needed .

Thanks.

Yes they also asked me to pay for $400 custom fee. I told them I would only be willing to pay $200 on the condition that the returned Sofa has the leather to my satisfaction. They agreed. So when they come and collect the sofa I did not pay.

Yes they also asked me to pay for $400 custom fee. I told them I would only be willing to pay $200 on the condition that the returned Sofa has the leather to my satisfaction. They agreed. So when they come and collect the sofa I did not pay.

Wonder why the difference in Custom Fee.

My set consist of two recliners and 2-seater. Only the two recliners are peeling.

Guess the leather quality are difference for both.

Casa wants to send back all for upholstery in case the 2-seater also peel later.

So I told the guy since only recliners got problem, no need send all and they can charge less.

According to him, whether send back one or few pieces also same fee.

Now waiting for their reply as that guy needs to talk to Boss for answer.

My set consist of two recliners and 2-seater. Only the two recliners are peeling.

Casa wants to send back all for upholstery in case the 2-seater also peel later.

So I told the guy since only recliners got problem, no need send all and they can charge less.

If I were you, I would prudently send the 2 seater back just to be on the safe side as it is likely to have the problem too given that it is from the same batch.

It all depends on the negotiation. that is why I think $200 is the max I could compromise. My are two 2-seaters.

Casa Italy agree to reupholstery full set of sofa with thicker leather for $200.

Will collect sofa to send to malaysia when Custom papers are in order.