Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
vinzbiz

Do I Need An Hdb-registered Contractor?

Hi all, I would appreciate some advise here.

Recently I signed on a renovation contractor to carry out works at my resale HDB 4-room flat (haven't paid deposit yet though) but found out that he is not registered with HDB. He claimed that I don't really need an HDB-registered contractor as my works are all minor and that everybody else is doing it. However, if I insist he said he can get his "partner's" company to register the renovation permit for me.

My renovation works are basically to remove and install new kitchen cabinet, rubbish chute, kitchen sink, bathroom windows, convert squatting to sitting w/c, partially remove and replace some bulging wall tiles, replace wash basins, replace bedroom doors, and plastering some walls and ceiling).

I am quite disturbed as I found a discrepancy between his proposed works and HDB regulations, e.g. plastering of ceiling is not allowed according to HDB website, yet he did not advise me. He countered that not everything has to follow HDB law... and that everyone else is doing it.

So, can I get some advise from experienced forumers here... is getting a non-HDB registered contractor common and is it advisable? Also, how strict is HDB in implementing the do's and don'ts spelt out in their website? I don't want to get into trouble later when selling the flat in future.

Many thanks in advance.

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Even if you have paid deposit to this contractor, you better cancel the work with him.

Not so much about the renovation permit. But it's a matter of trust that has been broken since start.

- The works are NOT minor.

- He's not being forth-coming and frank with the situation.

- Keeping quiet with rules/regulations. If something wrong happened who would be responsible?

- Saying that "everyone else is doing it", "not everything has to follow HDB" are recipes for trouble.

I agree with ngunadi.

When we searching for contractor, our property agent say he good lobang.

When he give us the quotation, we realize

1. No company name

2. No HDB license contractor #

3. The quotation is sign off by him who is a property agent.

When we press for the HDB license #, he told us. Once we sign the quotation , he will give us the license #

We back off.

If beginning already so much problem, what will happen in later state?

If when things happen and HDB question you.

U can say it is done by a contractor.

But how are you going to answer HDB when they ask a question "your contractor got license?"

Recently I signed on a renovation contractor to carry out works at my resale HDB 4-room flat (haven't paid deposit yet though) but found out that he is not registered with HDB. He claimed that I don't really need an HDB-registered contractor as my works are all minor and that everybody else is doing it. However, if I insist he said he can get his "partner's" company to register the renovation permit for me.

My renovation works are basically to remove and install new kitchen cabinet, rubbish chute, kitchen sink, bathroom windows, convert squatting to sitting w/c, partially remove and replace some bulging wall tiles, replace wash basins, replace bedroom doors, and plastering some walls and ceiling).

I am quite disturbed as I found a discrepancy between his proposed works and HDB regulations, e.g. plastering of ceiling is not allowed according to HDB website, yet he did not advise me. He countered that not everything has to follow HDB law... and that everyone else is doing it.

So, can I get some advise from experienced forumers here... is getting a non-HDB registered contractor common and is it advisable? Also, how strict is HDB in implementing the do's and don'ts spelt out in their website? I don't want to get into trouble later when selling the flat in future.

Many thanks in advance.

Think if got hacking, must get permit. Like your kitchen tiles replacement, need to hack off the bulging parts? Windows need permit, dunno if included bathroom window, but I think need, then installer must be bca approved. When sell house, you will need to rectify them if they are not to hdb specifications.

Think if got hacking, must get permit. Like your kitchen tiles replacement, need to hack off the bulging parts? Windows need permit, dunno if included bathroom window, but I think need, then installer must be bca approved. When sell house, you will need to rectify them if they are not to hdb specifications.

ya lor

some more got convert squatting to sitting w/c

It mean need to do water proofing for the toilet.

If didn't do properly and cause leaking to the lower floor.

Need to re-do the toilet floor again. No cheap

Many thanks in advance.

Wow piang, a HDB-registered contractor needs pay liciense fee to HDB which in turn the cost goes to you. End up, the work will pass to non-registered "sub-con" & "sub sub con"....

- His partner is a HDB-registered Co so can apply reno permit, just let his partner Co applier for the reno permit lah, then he does the job.

- Got any "sanitary stackers/pipes" change? Need a PUB-licensed contractor to do so.

- Ceiling plaster, "thin" layer to cover the uneven portion is ok, not to add one-inch thickness solid filling. I did 4-inch false ceiling with all the L, square, rectangular boxes, also plaster to cover the uneven portion near ceiling fan area (no boxing)

- Believed your contractor is a typical "hand-on" man with straight-forward mind/style, who doesn't know how to "snake" around. I prefer this type than those who "smoke" you around.

Edited by bepgof

Wow piang, a HDB-registered contractor needs pay liciense fee to HDB which in turn the cost goes to you. End up, the work will pass to non-registered "sub-con" & "sub sub con"....

- His partner is a HDB-registered Co so can apply reno permit, just let his partner Co applier for the reno permit lah, then he does the job.

- Got any "sanitary stackers/pipes" change? Need a PUB-licensed contractor to do so.

- Ceiling plaster, "thin" layer to cover the uneven portion is ok, not to add one-inch thickness solid filling. I did 4-inch false ceiling with all the L, square, rectangular boxes, also plaster to cover the uneven portion near ceiling fan area (no boxing)

- Believed your contractor is a typical "hand-on" man with straight-forward mind/style, who doesn't know how to "snake" around. I prefer this type than those who "smoke" you around.

not entirely true.

some no licenced ones need to engage licenced contractors to use their name. End up also charge to consumer.

i received quotes from non-licenenced and licenced ones. Turns out that licenced one cheaper.

Hacking is not required in my case, contractor propose to manually chip off the bulging tiles since the area is rather small. Bathroom window, hmm.. will have to double check this one.. thanks for pointing out.

ya lor

some more got convert squatting to sitting w/c

It mean need to do water proofing for the toilet.

If didn't do properly and cause leaking to the lower floor.

Need to re-do the toilet floor again. No cheap

A few contractors who came and see the toilet said no need redo the toilet floor leh... Just add some tiles over the area of the old toilet bowl that is not covered by new sitting toilet bowl. Anyone got experience?

That's the impression he gave me, a hands-on guy with lots of experience, which is why we decided to engage him in the first place. He is also flexible in that some minor things like changing window louvre, install ceiling fan, change door lock, he don't charge us for it. He even go to the length of driving us around to choose the toilet bowl, wash basin, kitchen sink and taps even before we sign anything. But i got a scare after learning that he may not be well-versed with HDB rules... sigh...

not entirely true.

some no licenced ones need to engage licenced contractors to use their name. End up also charge to consumer.

i received quotes from non-licenenced and licenced ones. Turns out that licenced one cheaper.

The contractor said he can settle the permit for me FOC. Using the partner's company name. He will also rewrite the contract using his partner's letterhead.

So my dilemma now is, should I trust this guy? Other than the HDB thingy, he seems sincere, and his price is good... haizzz...

A few contractors who came and see the toilet said no need redo the toilet floor leh... Just add some tiles over the area of the old toilet bowl that is not covered by new sitting toilet bowl. Anyone got experience?

I'm also convert squatting to sitting w/c at my common toilet.

My contractor hack away the tile and redo the floor + water proofing.

Now only at hack stage. So no commend on this.

But personally I prefer to hack and do a proper one.

Ask them to ensure the water proofing is not damage

I'm also convert squatting to sitting w/c at my common toilet.

My contractor hack away the tile and redo the floor + water proofing.

Now only at hack stage. So no commend on this.

But personally I prefer to hack and do a proper one.

Ask them to ensure the water proofing is not damage

- From Squatting to sitting w/c, need slight hacking only, cos the "mouth" occupied almost same area.

- Need concerns are : sitting type's length touch the back wall? The squatting's flushing pipe portion need cover up. "Old tiolet tiles still in "good" conditions?

- The main concerned is to get a reno permit, got it approved & start the works. Owner has to, more or less, know HDB's rules. Need attention to:

1. Sanitary stacks,

2. Windows,

3. Water proofing membrance - pay attention to floor trap's circumference area(stacker as well) + (Y pipes) which always cause the leakage, slowing- in month or years, to yr neighbour downstair.

My Id call in so many "sub-con" & "sub sub con", I just hold the Id responsible. Of course, it is owner's responsiblity to aware of the rules too, so no chance being smoked around.

Edited by bepgof

Thanks all for your advise. I shall look around for other contractor.

To stress again, important thing is to have reno permit applied & get approved. The one who does the job, whether is HDB-registered or not, is out of the question here.

Edited by bepgof

Ok, usually ID rarely has HDB license under their own name despite a few has. If the question is does it matter for contractors/ IDs to have their own HDB license, the answer is "NO".

However, the contractors or IDs must know what they are doing. For example, I hack and replace my main door frame. Out of 6 contractors/ IDs I source, 5 say HDB permit is a must. Only one ID say no need lah, even apply also won't approve blah blah and to me, no need better mah, else reject how? Luckily I read the HDB regulations and one of my ex classmate is an engineer in HDB and he say must follow. I also spoke to the technical officer in charge of my estate and he says permit is a must.

Always remember that house owner is responsible for our house and not contractor. We can't act blur saying we don't know therefore we can be held responsible when something happens. This is very unfair but if anything screws, the law will come after the owner.

Just try to read and understand the renovation guidelines at the HDB website.

Ok, usually ID rarely has HDB license under their own name despite a few has. If the question is does it matter for contractors/ IDs to have their own HDB license, the answer is "NO".

However, the contractors or IDs must know what they are doing. For example, I hack and replace my main door frame. Out of 6 contractors/ IDs I source, 5 say HDB permit is a must. Only one ID say no need lah, even apply also won't approve blah blah and to me, no need better mah, else reject how? Luckily I read the HDB regulations and one of my ex classmate is an engineer in HDB and he say must follow. I also spoke to the technical officer in charge of my estate and he says permit is a must.

Always remember that house owner is responsible for our house and not contractor. We can't act blur saying we don't know therefore we can be held responsible when something happens. This is very unfair but if anything screws, the law will come after the owner.

If you do not want to read the guidelines, just hire a hdb licensed contractors he will responsible and answer to the housing board. All licensed holder had gone through proper training by hdb & hdb had issued monthly update to licensed holder. So, third parties information can be very much different from the latest changes, materials use in your house can be very cheap & wrong, and the fact is, you will not be covered whenever there is a thing goes wrong in your house if your renovator is not licensed holder, he is going to get away but you're not.

:fire: it is making sense to let the licensed holder advise you what is right to do & what is not to save your *** from the Law

To stress again, important thing is to have reno permit applied & get approved. The one who does the job, whether is HDB-registered or not, is out of the question here.

Understood. But like what ngunadi said, I feel a bit hard to trust him now since he has already lied to me once. We did ask him before, he did say he got HDB license... If only he had told the truth in the beginning, I might still favour him..

htng, thanks for the advise. The example given does ring a bell with me. Now I understand why renovation in Singapore is so complicated..

If you do not want to read the guidelines, just hire a hdb licensed contractors he will responsible and answer to the housing board. All licensed holder had gone through proper training by hdb & hdb had issued monthly update to licensed holder. So, third parties information can be very much different from the latest changes, materials use in your house can be very cheap & wrong, and the fact is, you will not be covered whenever there is a thing goes wrong in your house if your renovator is not licensed holder, he is going to get away but you're not.

:fire: it is making sense to let the licensed holder advise you what is right to do & what is not to save your *** from the Law

Tiler Seng, I did try to pm u for quote last time but ur mailbox is full... so this situation now is because of your fault... haha..