Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
marshmallow

The Marshmallow Land

i think most rough tiles will trap dust... but yes grey tiles are better...

Frankly ur kitchen looks really bright. Even if you use dark grey floor tiles, it will just make it even brighter as focus would be on the nice green cabinets!

my floor is epoxy sprayed with mainly grey and some black and white freckles.

Good thing: Its hard to tell if floor is dirty due to all the freckles.

Bad thing: u cannot see any ants/hair on the floor.

u will only know how dirty it is when u mop the floor.... :P which is really not a very good thing for lazy people like me. :)

my 2cents: the person cleaning the kitchen should be the one choosing the floor tiles instead...hahaha...

hahaha ya lor that's what my office tea auntie says too, she said light tiles will prompt me to clean kitchen more often~ :lol: dark tiles mask dirt... but isn't it what i want?? :P

yup i use the kitchen and i'm the one who clean it too~

btw, is epoxy coat slippery? and not sure if it will be very messy if i wanna do it in future, with so many things in the kitchen liao :unsure:

omg..i feel so sorry for u, i complete understd on the agony of cleaning n scrubbing floors.

grey kitchen floor tiles? i immediately thought of mine.

i chose those slighty rough for non-slip and till today, these tiles r serving me well.

i guess u hv to be more hardworking in cleaning your tiles on a daily basis.

good luck!

oh! your grey tile is the one with the shade i wanted~! :o looks nice hor?

i think i have seen one with e shade like yours, only slightly rough one... but was ruled out by hubby citing "not non-slip enough" :lol: hiyah~

my daddy also said grey one will make the kitchen more classy... anyway, too late to undo now :bangwall: can only whine to hubby :P i'm now cleaning on weekly basis :(

thanks~ hope my luck with this tile will still be good for the future years to come~ :P

Edited by marshmallow

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation
The Kitchen Tiles Story

sad to say, this is not a happy story like what i have written so far... I have already ranted in another thread about my kitchen tiles... grrrrr.... :furious:

flash back on how my kitchen tiles look like:

4992724520_4f751eacf0_z.jpg

before my reno started, i was thinking of having a light grey floor tiles for my kitchen, this is the only colour i could think of that matches with my lime kitchen, and dark enough to mask dirts :P

my criteria: light grey, easy maintenance

hubby's criteria: non-slip - he insisted becos he knows he has a very accident-prone wife :lol:

but, on the tiles selection day.... somehow the grey non-slip tiles available seemed very rough (too non-slip?? :P), and we were a bit worried that it will be difficult to clean oil stains etc.

on the other hand, those tiles with the correct grey i wanted, didn't seem non-slip enough to get my hubby's approval.... hard to please everybody, yah? :bangwall:

just at this time, Roy (Henry's assistant) found this light beige, non-slip tile which eventually became my current kitchen floor tiles. All the men (Henry, Roy, my hubby) immediately liked it while i was a bit skeptical...............

Me: seems very light leh. wouldn't it get dirty easily?

Henry: up to you la. but light tiles will make your kitchen brighter and looks bigger. (I agree on this)

Me: hmmm and the grooves look kinda small.... hmmm dunno if it will be difficult to clean or not... hmmmm.........

Again, all the men like this tile and my hubby kept trying to sell me to choose it. Already tired from the long hours of tile selection, i gave in..... btw, this tile became my common toilet tile too so as to have the continuity between kitchen and toilet floor............

everything looks great until i started using the kitchen..... :~

problems i encountered:

1) VERY easy to trap dirt

being a non-slip tile, there is some groove patterns on the tiles that make the surface less slippery. however, the groove design on this tile seems to be too fine and traps dirt super easily! see the photos below, you will understand what i mean:

close up:

5306106614_d3213e9827_z.jpg

closer up:

5306106770_e97bc554b1_z.jpg

sorry it's a bit blur and hard to see, but the grooves are shallow so it's not easy to get a good clear shot on them :(

it is really bad. with a slightest bit of dust, slippers dragging through, normally clean feet accidentally stepping on small drops of water........ you can already see visible, dark patches on the tiles :~ by just carrying out simple, normal kitchen activities, the floor became dirty in seconds :~

2) Dirts are VERY OBVIOUS

Tiles are light beige. Dirts are dark grey/black. so..........

3) VERY DIFFICULT to clean

Again, it's due to the stupid grooves. at first, i thought it's easy to clean becos whenever dirts appear, just wipe with cloth and it disappears. but is it really clean? NO. actually just the surface is sort of cleaned. you can still see that the base colour of the tiles have become some what darker.

the only way to clean the tiles completely is to take a cloth, scrub the tiles really hard, and the colour will slowly return back to normal :bleah: i tried brush, it didn't work. Everytime when i do cleaning, i have to squard down and rub these tiles ONE BY ONE.

After my first attempt to clean the kitchen floor, my back ached, and i almost cried :~ i have never taken so long to clean a kitchen before... these tiles are simply nightmare!!

and, everytime after i mopped the floor, i walk pass the tiles i just mopped, foot prints will appear and it's very visible!! OMG!! i can never get the floor cleaned!! i was so mad that i really wanna pull my hair off! ARGHHHHH :~

complained to my hubby umpteen times on the kitchen floor, told him that i really regreted following his choice :~ should have just sticked to my decision of having grey tiles :bangwall:

even when my father visited my home, his comment was "everything is great but the worst thing that you can ever have is your kitchen tiles"~ bleah~ :bleah: only if daddy was around when we did tiles selection!!

well, i m exploring the possibility of using epoxy coat or something like that on my kitchen floor... but need some research... and won't be in near future cos i'm too tired for anymore reno work, for now :lol:

okie, i'm sure you all can sense my frustration here. -end of rant-

the only consolation is... the kitchen does looks nice, after all ;)

Noob Lesson 7: NO MORE light kitchen floor tiles for me. And, seriously, the one who uses the kitchen should decide what's best for the kitchen ;)

Is this the msg that u said was for me?

Anyway jus let u know.. dirt and dust is not black and grey only.. hahaha.. My black floor tiles also very easily dirty.. White footprint everywhere.. dusts very easily seen too.. :lol: But i still love my tiles! :P

Is this the msg that u said was for me?

Anyway jus let u know.. dirt and dust is not black and grey only.. hahaha.. My black floor tiles also very easily dirty.. White footprint everywhere.. dusts very easily seen too.. :lol: But i still love my tiles! :P

nope bro... the post for you is here:

http://www.renotalk.com/forum/index.php?sh...st&p=599438

you so long never visit here liao, this post already not at the newest page~ :lol:

let's take a break from my kitchen stories~ (yes, still some more kitchen stories are on the way! ;))

This post is especially dedicated to BANNED...... :lol:

(or rather, for his gf? hahaha :P)

The Green Story

Maybe, maybe... it all started with the green kitchen. Somehow, we end up getting many stuff that are green. Some examples as followed:

5295469841_d09d6e45d6_z.jpg

Clockwise from top left:

Dining plate (i love this pretty floral patten! :wub:), green plastic tray, apple cutter, all from our favorite meatball place - Ikea ;)

Green lime detergent, green handwash, green Ikea peeler

Green containers... from Ikea again :P

Green sieve for drying veggies - nice, bright green we have here, but i a bit regreted on the choice of colour... cos i can't tell whether some small bits of veggie is trapped at the sieve when i try to clean it... natural protection colours siah :lol:

still have many other green stuff around in the house~ ;) looks like green is the winner for "colour of the year" at our place~ :lol:

WAHAHAHAHAHAHA!! Cannot later very scary!!!

btw, is epoxy coat slippery? and not sure if it will be very messy if i wanna do it in future, with so many things in the kitchen liao :unsure:

i believe there are a few kinds out there in the market. The kind suitable for kitchen and toilet floor is the rough kind...

I remember it takes just one day to spray and one day of "no walking" on it. No hard scrubbing for a few days as well.

So just spray and go for short holiday ba... hah...

Kitchen should be ok, just need to shift out the fridge, washer, etc... Its meant to be hassle free mah...

The best thing is no grout lines to clean... wifey's number 1 obsession is clean grout lines.

It's working v well so far. load wise, according to the shop owner, is more than sufficient for normal washing machine load.

one thing to note is when you try to raise or lower the hanger, you have to keep the pull-string straight, else the movement won't be smooth and the pulley system will be worn off faster. the owner at the shop will explain and demo to you.

Got it from Woei-Lee at IMM. will PM you the price and stuff ;)

mind pm me the price for the retractable hanger too?

is the pole removable or fixed?

Edited by idealistic

WAHAHAHAHAHAHA!! Cannot later very scary!!!

why scary... doesn't it go well with your green room? hahahaha :lol:

i believe there are a few kinds out there in the market. The kind suitable for kitchen and toilet floor is the rough kind...

I remember it takes just one day to spray and one day of "no walking" on it. No hard scrubbing for a few days as well.

Kitchen should be ok, just need to shift out the fridge, washer, etc... Its meant to be hassle free mah...

The best thing is no grout lines to clean... wifey's number 1 obsession is clean grout lines.

hahahahahaha :lol: i'm glad i'm not particular about grout lines. else i'd probably spend my whole life in the kitchen cleaning! hahaha~

thanks for your advice :) go for a short holiday while waiting seems to be a good idea :P i'll leave it to hubby to think about it~

mind pm me the price for the retractable hanger too?

is the pole removable or fixed?

okie will PM you shortly :)

if i remember correctly, there are 6 poles, of which 4 are removable... sorry can't remember well cos i usually don't remove the poles~

Happy new year~! May Year 2011 be a good one for all~! :sport-smiley-004:

shall kick start my new year with:

The TV Console Story

(before i move back to talk about kitchen, again :lol:)

Since initial stage of reno planning, we already like the Ikea's BESTA series of cabinets. it all started with hubby falling in love with the FRAMSTA black glass panels for TV:

5319441318_ee71b46a7e_z.jpg

We love the way Ikea showroom does it with LED strips among the panels, it's really nice! :wub: though eventually, we didn't use this at all cos we can't think of how to fit the panels in :lol:

Besides, I like BESTA series becos it allows me to customize the modules to suit my storage needs. erm well, hubby always says i'm obsess with storage space :P

Maybe that's why after a lengthy journey of tv console hunting, we still went back to using BESTA to "build" our TV console :lol:

My living room "feature" wall is 3.6m long, so i thought of having 5 blocks of Besta cabinets (Besta cabinets come in multiple of 60cm) - with 4 short unit and 1 tall unit at the side. The total length would be 3.0m.

Here are some of the brain-storming i have done for the console design:

4998252046_187a9b69ab_z.jpg

We decided to use the 2nd design from the right in this picture~ ;)

In this plan, main colour scheme for the console is black-brown. The short units will have a combination of glossy white doors and frosted glass doors with black-brown frames.

Same combination of doors for the tall unit - at first i wanna have clear glass door for the middle section, thinking that it can serve as a display cabinet (see the 1st design on left). But hubby doesn't like it clear, reason: anything behind clear glass needs to be maintained and tidied, which is something he is too lazy to do so :P

The TV Console Story - continued

After deciding all these doors and stuff, we made a trip down to Ikea, and 2 things caught me by surprise:

1) The actual product looks longer than what i visualised on Sketch-up

i did a 3D model of the whole house using sketch-up. thought the 3.0m length console looks just right against the 3.6m wall.

however, when i see the physical Besta units, even 4 units of them (2.4m) looks very big to me.... hmmmm.... made me wonder if having 5 units would be good...... :unsure:

2) Where are the doors???

When we enquired about the frosted glass cabinet doors, we were told that they have already STOPPED this product :bangwall:

then why they still kept it in the catalogue...............???? :bangwall:

As we could not delay the purchase of console any further.....

Me: okie, let's just do without the tall unit and change the doors.

Hubby: huh?? are you sure?? don't complain about no storage space later on..

Me: i can always buy the tall unit in future, but if i buy now, i can't throw it away if it's really too big for our living room!

so i decided, on the spot, to change the doors to a combination of white and black glossy doors, something like the right most design, but without the tall unit:

4998252046_187a9b69ab_z.jpg

actual product (sorry, blocked by the sofa :P):

5319491848_28fca15e64_z.jpg

i'm glad that we dropped the tall unit cos now the console looks just right for our living room - can't imagine if we have a tall unit there... my tv console will look like a big monster~ :lol:

Noob Lesson 8: Besides 3d drawing and measurement, best to see the actual furniture pieces physically - your plans may change after that ;)

[

1) VERY easy to trap dirt

being a non-slip tile, there is some groove patterns on the tiles that make the surface less slippery. however, the groove design on this tile seems to be too fine and traps dirt super easily! see the photos below, you will understand what i mean:

sorry it's a bit blur and hard to see, but the grooves are shallow so it's not easy to get a good clear shot on them :(

it is really bad. with a slightest bit of dust, slippers dragging through, normally clean feet accidentally stepping on small drops of water........ you can already see visible, dark patches on the tiles :~ by just carrying out simple, normal kitchen activities, the floor became dirty in seconds :~

wow, I think you very high standard. My floor also similar to yours, but I did not notice these dirt :D or maybe my eyesight is failing me liao - getting old!

2) Dirts are VERY OBVIOUS

Tiles are light beige. Dirts are dark grey/black. so..........

hmm .. but isn't it better that you can see the dirt and clean it up? rather than have it camouflaged, accidentally step on it and "spread" the dirt around?

anyway, not all dirt are dark colour right? eg, flour on light coloured tile will be less obvious than a dark one?

the only consolation is... the kitchen does looks nice, after all ;)

yes, your kitchen def does look nice!

can i ask a dumb question - does epoxy coating come in colour? or only the grey tone?

hi froggy... to wat i noe, there's few type of colour for epoxy coating :D

:) they have many many colours to choose from...

thanks. any website or company that I can see the colours?

wow, I think you very high standard. My floor also similar to yours, but I did not notice these dirt :D or maybe my eyesight is failing me liao - getting old!

hmm .. but isn't it better that you can see the dirt and clean it up? rather than have it camouflaged, accidentally step on it and "spread" the dirt around?

anyway, not all dirt are dark colour right? eg, flour on light coloured tile will be less obvious than a dark one?

LOL... actually hubby also said he can't see :huh: but i think it's quite obvious esp. when one tile is clean and the one next to it is not :bleah:

haha same as what my office tea auntie said... since the dirt can be seen easily, it can prompt me to clean them immediately... :P but i guess that's not the objective i wanna achieve :lol:

flour.... hmmmm i never thought of that. hopefully my black granite top can take care of this :lol:

yes, your kitchen def does look nice!

thank you! :)