Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios

I hate "bay windows".

I use quotes because proper bay windows are supposed to protrude out of the structure, and is meant to increase usable space in a room without taking up floor space.

In Singapore, our "bay windows" are *gasp* inside the apartment!

They take up valuable floor space in our already space-challenged apartment.

They are part of the structure; so you can't hack them away or convert them into storage space.

They completely useless in space challenged Singapore.

Rant aside, I would like to ask the members of renotalk, what have you done to your bay windows to turn them into usable living space?

In my case one of them would be converted into seating in the dining area, but the others just seem to be absolutely useless.

For new condo developments, u will not see anymore bay windows because URA regulations have changed. Last time, bay window areas are not computed as the development's gross floor area, so Developers provide them so that the unit saleable area would increase. But now, there is no such exemption anymore, no more advantage for developers. So most have stopped providing.

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

reisende - i did consider building a bed on the way window but later changed my mind since my window is west facing and it's going to be HOT. Plus I don't think I will gain that much storage space underneath the custom bed... it's definitely not enough to store luggage. I think i'm gonna build storage cabinets on the bay window...

I was initially quite keen to transform the bay window in the dining room into a seatee. My neighbour did the same but it didn't turn out well... I might just take up the parquet idea. Or perhaps mosaic?

erwin123 - thank you for the link. it's certainly helpful.

JeanL - I'm glad the URA decided to change to regulations regarding bay windows. New developments are gonna be so much more spacious w/o bay windows, and w/o that annoying housing shelter in the apartment as well! I feel bad that I have to let my maid sleep in that room... she's been with us for so long she deserves better.

Edited by january

I do not quite understand, for HDB, bay windows are not calculated as part of your internal floor area.

Thus a 110sqm 5 room HDB with bay windows has more space than a 110sqm HDB without bay windows.

that info is wrong. Those area are counted in as well.

For new condo developments, u will not see anymore bay windows because URA regulations have changed. Last time, bay window areas are not computed as the development's gross floor area, so Developers provide them so that the unit saleable area would increase. But now, there is no such exemption anymore, no more advantage for developers. So most have stopped providing.

Sure? When har? Where got no counted in, aircon compressor ledge, planter all counted in, except the area outside main door. China's property counts the area outside main door "in" le.

Bay windows swee & practical, I put wood on top & sometime sleep on top. Tiolet also got, can sit, sing song and showering.

Edited by bepgof

Put it simply, the government (URA) will tax the developers according to the size of the unit they built the last time.

So bigger unit the developer built, the higher the tax.

BUT planters and area above bay windows are not taxed as URA deemed those areas as "unusable" spaces.

So developers make use of this and build loads of bay windows and big big planters, and sell the units that states the unit sizes with the planters and bay windows.

Then people start to be creative and build covers for planters instead of using them for plants, then make bay windows into beds, sofas, etc etc.

So URA in 2008 changed the rules and will now tax the developers for the planters and baywindows spaces too if they build them.

So to answer the queries, yes, now developers will cut down on building bay windows and planters since they will be taxed. And no, you will not get a bigger space because of this, just a same unit without planters and baywindows, which in fact makes the unit smaller.

Put it simply, the government (URA) will tax the developers according to the size of the unit they built the last time.

So bigger unit the developer built, the higher the tax.

BUT planters and area above bay windows are not taxed as URA deemed those areas as "unusable" spaces.

So developers make use of this and build loads of bay windows and big big planters, and sell the units that states the unit sizes with the planters and bay windows.

Then people start to be creative and build covers for planters instead of using them for plants, then make bay windows into beds, sofas, etc etc.

So URA in 2008 changed the rules and will now tax the developers for the planters and baywindows spaces too if they build them.

So to answer the queries, yes, now developers will cut down on building bay windows and planters since they will be taxed. And no, you will not get a bigger space because of this, just a same unit without planters and baywindows, which in fact makes the unit smaller.

Again, a big thank you. Now got a better picture. Mouse & cat game always, never end.

Edited by bepgof

Again, a big thank you. Now got a better picture. Mouse & cat game always, never end.

Yup Yup... and the rules keep changing too. Stay tune for more : p

My master bedroom has 2 sets of bay windows.

So what I did was, I got my contractor to tear down my build-in wardrobe and build a new wardrobe in one of the bay windows. It's actually very nice, and I now have more floor space to play around with.

Hope this helps some.

So what I did was, I got my contractor to tear down my build-in wardrobe and build a new wardrobe in one of the bay windows. It's actually very nice, and I now have more floor space to play around with.

Hope this helps some.

Huh? Meaning you block up the window? Sacrify view, or view not nice?

Edited by bepgof

Hope this helps some.

so you blocked the windows? won't it make the room dark/no air?

yep, i completely closed up 1 bay window. but remember, i still have another bay window, and it's huge (so there's no fear of not having sunlight or air). if you think about it, there's only so many windows you need for your master bedroom.

if i didn't do that, my built-in wardrobe would have been on the usable floor space, which cuts down the floor area that i have to play around with. this way, i cut down the "wasted" area (i.e. bay windows) and increase the usable area.

when i first mooted this idea, my husband wasn't keen either. he said exactly the same thing you guys said. but now that the renovation's completed, he loves it! one thing i'm good at, i'm good with room composition and space optimisation.

i can send you a pic if you like, just send me your email address.

Thanks for emailing the pictures Webbit.

I'm not lucky like you to have 2 bay windows in the MBR, so that option is out for me!

Glad it worked out well for you though.

on the view, i had 2 bay windows. so i just closed off the one with the not-so-nice view, and kept the one with the nicer view. ;)

hi webbit, sorry about that. my email is correct.

I tried to PM you, but your inbox full... pls email me at eeleen10 at hotmail dot com.

thanks!