Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
kalimantan

Dragon-ly And Lion-ly Speaking ...

Chanced upon a topic that putting "dragon" symbolic object in house not suitable. Also lion stone may not be suitable for most residential place . Any reasons why ?

Chinese love dragons and it is a symbol of good luck, eg got dragon dance, etc

Lion dance during cny is what i usually entertain guests.

Sometimes i even dreamt of putting 1 or 2 lion heads at my door to ward off evil (assuming i sponsor to dot-lion eyes). I mean my house has no evil or anything, but simply love it.

How i wish my geomancer would "approve" such symbolic stuffs. But i will check with him on this for my next house audit.

In the meantime, i raise this topic for forum members to contribute the "DOs and the DONTs". Come on share everything you heard or knew. Educate me !!!

:rolleyes:

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request
Chanced upon a topic that putting "dragon" symbolic object in house not suitable. Also lion stone may not be suitable for most residential place . Any reasons why ?

Sometimes i even dreamt of putting 1 or 2 lion heads at my door to ward off evil (assuming i sponsor to dot-lion eyes). I mean my house has no evil or anything, but simply love it.

How i wish my geomancer would "approve" such symbolic stuffs. But i will check with him on this for my next house audit.

In the meantime, i raise this topic for forum members to contribute the "DOs and the DONTs". Come on share everything you heard or knew. Educate me !!!

For dragon / tiger status, suggest you to have a god to control them otherwise they'll go wild (Assume your place is not temple when gods rotate duty to look after.)

Edited by dome81

Lions, tigers and dragons are wild, ferocious beasts and therefore have very strong 杀气; and have to be used with great care. Otherwise, they could lead to disasters, like some of my neighbours and friends.

Disclaimer: Please note that my comments are shared in good faith based on personal experiences and is not meant as a tool for challenging views of other members, which might differ from mine in view of religious, cultural beliefs & backgrounds. Hence, kindly understand that this is an information sharing platform.

Lions & tigers:

Stone Lions

- My friends from Beijing mentioned to me that those stone lions flanking both sides of the main door/ gate are only applicable for those who are extremely wealthy and are very very influential with strong power in society. Not that many and could be counted with our fingers. Otherwise, like what dome81 has explained, instead of protecting his owners and occupants, they will turn uncontrollable and "bite" back instead. It's very unlucky.

So unless a skillful FS master recommends them, otherwise, refrain from using them.

Prayer altar tables with tiger / dragon claws

- I came across one from a rosewood furniture shop at Upp Paya Lebar Road. I had checked with a few sources because I wanted to buy it to replace my old altar.

Interpretation 1: A taoist priest said that if there is no lion / tiger heads found on the altar and that the deity seated on the altar table has been blessed ("kai-kuang"), there should be no issue - the deity would exercise "control" over it. It occured to me then that some of the temples have altar tables with lion heads, supported by claws.

Interpretation 2: My brother inlaw and parents said don't buy that type of altar table supported by claws. Not advisable. Avoid totally, don't need to see or buy.

Inpretation 3: One old neighbour claimed that such altars are meant for Guan-Di / Tau Pekong. Not for Guanyin.

Rosewood sofa seatees (sofa) with tiger/ dragon claws: Not sure but even some of the rich & influential doesn't use such furnitures supported by such claws.

Lion heads at the entrance of the door: This is a No-No.

- I read it from the newspapers that it has very very strong 杀气 and would hurt neighbours or whoever who stays nearby, especially those directly opposite.

- According to some FS masters: if the owners install such lion heads, end up hurting people around them, negative karma would catch up with them because they believe what comes around goes around.

Paintings of Tigers :

- One antique shop uncle claimed that this have to be used with care and they normally recommend it for people who have many "小人" (villians) around them, got bullied until it couldn't be any worse off. So the tigers are placed (not sure at which part of the house) to back them up.

Dragons:

Not to play with fire in mounting any paintings, statues or fixtures of dragons. According to the elderly folks, it is a symbol of the yellow emperor from the ancient times and not to be taken lightly. My granny said that during the ancient times, it represents the emperor & ordinary folks cannot anyhow use the symbol on themselves or their homes. Otherwise, they get beheaded. ("trouble with the law")

Exception is made for those who are relatives of the emperor such as his siblings & uncles, but provided they r holding high official posts in the court & are king-makers (i.e. politicians who help the emperor consolidate his power & make him a very strong king). So there are not that many out there who could accept the dragon.

If you translate what she says into modern times, the dragon is to be avoided by ordinary folks, people who had many hurdles in life & who are sickly by nature.

Unless recommended by a very skillful FS master, the owners will get into trouble with the law. And some would even fall sick.

E.g. One neighbour shifted into new flat, got fined by traffic police and other govt agencies. On average every week. We didn't believe it until he showed us the traffic police tickets - he had to appeal to court for a partial waiver ("discount") because he didn't have so much $ for paying up.

Another old neighbour who went over to his place to borrow hammer spotted a painting of a dragon and made him take it down. And we were told that it worked and no more summons.

Gates: I was initially going to install a wrought iron gate dragon design from Metalworld pte ltd. They've got one really beautiful & most expensive gate, featuring a Tang dynasty version of dragon on a square metal plate. Luckily, my previous experience triggered off an alarm in my head & I figured out that I'll better check with the Lorong Koo Chye Ba temple's Seng Hong God if it'll work for us. (I can't just change it later on if there's an issue; cost more than $1k several months back)

The answer through the oracle is a straight NO. It was interesting that the oracle he gave us was read as the dragon could become what it is or turn into a snake & bite us. Based on the lunar month of interpretation for the oracle, what I wanted to do turned out to be a very bad lot. So we dropped the dragon design.

... End of (very loooong) Story ... zz

Edited by edenstrauss

In the meantime, i raise this topic for forum members to contribute the "DOs and the DONTs". Come on share everything you heard or knew. Educate me !! !

Ancient chinese emperors :bow: declared themselves "Sons of Heaven", ruled the earth, use DRAGON as icon and registered trade mark(he approved himself !) for this animal - only he could use, all commoners were banned from using. Over time, "Dragon" symbolised 天子.Legend put Yellow Emperor(黄帝) as father of all chinese. 黄帝 was dragon (龙), so nowsdays all chinese are called 龙的传人。 :curse:

Who dared to put "son of heaven" within residential place? :dunno:

Since dragon has been reserved by emperors, the court officials, no choice, have to choose 2nd fierce animal as icon. You can see those court officials' residence, put pair of stoned lion to tell commoners that " I am ah kong's ppl" don't play play, better pay due respect when passing by.....

Time flies but genes remains, those ppls like to put stone lions outside their residence, regarded themselves as "ah kong's ppl".

Dragon dance & lion dance = today's meeting in parliament! Watchers = commoners. :D

Edited by bepgof

Ancient chinese emperors :bow: declared themselves "Sons of Heaven", ruled the earth, use DRAGON as icon and registered trade mark(he approved himself !) for this animal - only he could use, all commoners were banned from using. Over time, "Dragon" symbolised 天子.Legend put Yellow Emperor(黄帝) as father of all chinese. 黄帝 was dragon (龙), so nowsdays all chinese are called 龙的传人。 :curse:

Who dared to put "son of heaven" within residential place? :dunno:

Since dragon has been reserved by emperors, the court officials, no choice, have to choose 2nd fierce animal as icon. You can see those court officials' residence, put pair of stoned lion to tell commoners that " I am ah kong's ppl" don't play play, better pay due respect when passing by.....

Time flies but genes remains, those ppls like to put stone lions outside their residence, regarded themselves as "ah kong's ppl".

Dragon dance & lion dance = today's meeting in parliament! Watchers = commoners. :D

very interesting comments... maybe watch more of those ancient drama helps to understand better...

tks for the sharing... know more about the history behind the dragons and lion