Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
Kerio

K's Reno Journey

OH... :( thats not very good news for me... i don't mean the whole wall thou..

but i got this on someone's reno....

DSCF0044.jpg

I also suspect the wall can't be hacked, though I'm not sure too.. The service yard wall is actually quite small, and there're pipes in and behind the wall (the door to the service yard is to the left for our apt) which might affect hacking, too.

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Hi Kerio,

Out of curiosity....is the aircon fancoil unit for the living room good enough to cool the entire area? I see that you have quite a wide area for the Living/Dining/Foyer area. Is the kitchen enclosed... i mean by glass panel and doors...from your pics ...i supposed so? What is the rating for the unit in for the living room? Thanks! :D

Hi Kerio,

Out of curiosity....is the aircon fancoil unit for the living room good enough to cool the entire area? I see that you have quite a wide area for the Living/Dining/Foyer area. Is the kitchen enclosed... i mean by glass panel and doors...from your pics ...i supposed so? What is the rating for the unit in for the living room? Thanks! :D

Hi Porkypork,

My living room air con is a 24BTU, so it's definitely powerful enough :) Recently, because of the booklice infestation reaching into our kitchen, I've had to open the kitchen glass door and use a tower fan to blow into the kitchen to reduce moisture, so the air con is even strong enough to reach the kitchen if you do it that way. We experienced no loss in cooling capacity in the living area. However, the dining area doesn't get as much of the cooling as we'd like (though it's still cool, it's not as cool).

We recently had 30 visitors over for Christmas, and had to switch on all of our air-cons; the whole house was sufficiently cooled, though the tower fan had to be on and sweeping the dining area due to its proximity to the kitchen and its heat :)

Hi Porkypork,

My living room air con is a 24BTU, so it's definitely powerful enough :) Recently, because of the booklice infestation reaching into our kitchen, I've had to open the kitchen glass door and use a tower fan to blow into the kitchen to reduce moisture, so the air con is even strong enough to reach the kitchen if you do it that way. We experienced no loss in cooling capacity in the living area. However, the dining area doesn't get as much of the cooling as we'd like (though it's still cool, it's not as cool).

We recently had 30 visitors over for Christmas, and had to switch on all of our air-cons; the whole house was sufficiently cooled, though the tower fan had to be on and sweeping the dining area due to its proximity to the kitchen and its heat :)

Thanks Kerio :) Hmmm we are still deciding on whether to go for a system 3 or 4 aircon... sigh...tough decision... :(

Just PMed you :D

Thanks Kerio :) Hmmm we are still deciding on whether to go for a system 3 or 4 aircon... sigh...tough decision... :(

Just PMed you :D

Received and Replied :-)

Which part of the living room?

Here's a pic of the kitchen though:

ki1no.jpg

As you can see, the left side is the sink, the centre is the hob/hood, the right is the dry area for a small toaster, rice cooker, air port, etc. The sink was supposed to be where the hob/hood is now, and the hob/hood is supposed to be where the dry area is now.

We extended the area to create the dry area, initially for baking or the like, but it appears that the area is a little too cramped for that. We're still working on organising the kitchen, but unless we invest in space saving things like mounting things on the wall, it's a bit hard to get any useable space.

I think the air con is actually slightly below the pelmet, so there's still some space to handle the air con.. at least, I think so, since I haven't tried it yet hahaha.. still handling the booklice issue =.='''

Hi, would like to check where you gotten the extractable kitchen tap and how much is it..thanks!

Hi, would like to check where you gotten the extractable kitchen tap and how much is it..thanks!

Hi,

We got it from a shop our ID brought us to, think the name is automatically censored once i type it down here.

The sink mixer is the P8000 model, cost us around $300+. Has 2 functions; a single stream/jet of water and a "rain shower" of water. I think I saw it at Hoe Kee and Poh Seng as well, though I can't remember the price :)

Latest update in spending!

I've spent more than $1000 to fight the booklice problem, and I was actually quite resistant to purchasing any dehumidifiers because I didn't think we'd be using them as often (since our entire apartment, except the kitchen and toilets, is air-conditioned).

However, after taking out all our kitchen ware and wiping the shelves clean with a strong concentrated dettol solution and drying it out properly yesterday night, I woke up this morning and found them sitting on the cleaned shelves, bold as brass. One literally came out of the woodwork and zipped back in, as if daring me to squash it. I waited for it to reappear, then squashed it, and blasted that entire area with Shieldtox.

Then during lunch just now (I can't even remember how many lunches I've already skipped for "rectifications" and to deal with this booklice nonsense), went by to Best Denki and purchased this:

nd690details.jpg

"NOVITA Dehumidifier ND 690

Powerful & Effectual

NOVITA Dehumidifier ND 690 is the largest capacity unit in the range that efficiently removes up to 50 litres of water per day. Covering areas up to 900 sq ft or 83 m2, it is ideal for use in spacious areas of the home and also for industrial use. Equipped with an electronic LCD display, ND 690 is easy to operate with just a simple touch on the soft key. You will also be delighted with other features like the convenient easy-roll castors, in-built pre-filter screen and continuous drainage option. With the powerful & effectual ND 690, excessive moisture will never be a problem again! "

At $899 for one set (already discounted, original price $999), moisture better not be a problem again. I'm going to switch this on tonight, closed up in my tiny kitchen, and shrivel those little b*stards up into powder.

kerio: Icic...ok will take a look..do u have hot n cold water for ur kitchen sink? Sorry wanna survey more on this..coz some told me this kind of tap is not durable due to the rubber n the spring..but I loved it so much when I was working in coffee bean a decade ago...then get to know that it has miniature version for homes... :)

kerio: Icic...ok will take a look..do u have hot n cold water for ur kitchen sink? Sorry wanna survey more on this..coz some told me this kind of tap is not durable due to the rubber n the spring..but I loved it so much when I was working in coffee bean a decade ago...then get to know that it has miniature version for homes... :)

No worries :)

Nope, mine is just cold water since we very rarely use hot water for washing.. not sure about it not being durable, but it feels quite sturdy, so I think it should last us a good 5 - 10 years at least.. we hope :)

:) tentatively... no intention to bbq at the service yard YET! :P

neighbour will hate me so much....

Great! what i mention earlier might not be correct since i didn't hack the service yard wall so this might be do-able. :) But like what froggy mentioned, cooking activities had to be limited to the original kitchen but i guess that should not be a concern for you, right?

Let me know whether your dehumidifier works. Thinking of getting one too.

It works, alright.. but a few points to note. First of all is that I don't actually have a mold problem in my house, more a booklice problem.

1) Since the indicator on the dehumidifier shows humidity at 30 after I've left it on for a while, I'm assuming it's working. Also, the amount of water collected in the water container is simply ASTOUNDING. Mine has a capacity of 8 litres, and after half a day out (12pm - 10pm), the container was near full. Same applies when I've left it on overnight, since humidity is constantly above 60 in Singapore.

2) although my machine technically covers 88sqm, I realised that when I place it in a wide open area, the humidity doesn't really go down much. In my tiny kitchen however, the humidity decreases rapidly because it's simply more efficient in an enclosed area. With this in mind, perhaps smaller, cheaper dehumidifiers that cover a smaller area instead of my massive $899 one would be just as effective in an enclosed room (e.g., one for every room with mold and mildew; perhaps a more powerful one for the living room).

3) Dehumidifiers aren't air-conditioners; I had this fantasy where my dehumidifier would blow out cold air and dehumidify at the same time, but that was not to be, because it expels warm air. This is made worse by the fact that it actually has a working temperature range of 16 - 35 degrees celsius, above or below which it would simply stop while the air around it heated/cooled. I had to leave the door slightly ajar and switch on the air-conditioning in the living room just to keep it at a steady 30 degrees. I had nightmares about my utilities bill and of the booklice migrating to my other rooms.

And I've just discovered a magic formula - Rubbing Alcohol! I read about it on another post in RT, and when I chanced by it in a chinese pharmacy, I decided I had to give it a shot. I bought a little spray bottle, poured in the rubbing alcohol, and used it to spray the booklice. Result - they simply curled up and died. Non toxic and effective! Brilliant :D