Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
Kerio

K's Reno Journey

Hmm, we actually made final payment just yesterday, and are awaiting minor touch ups at the moment.

I think HDB suspensions have very little to do with actual renovation though; it usually indicates an infringement of some kind of HDB regulation. Here's the link:

http://www.hdb.gov.sg/fi10/fi10324p.nsf/w/...ys?OpenDocument

Not sure how that will affect the touching up though..

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request
It works, alright.. but a few points to note. First of all is that I don't actually have a mold problem in my house, more a booklice problem.

1) Since the indicator on the dehumidifier shows humidity at 30 after I've left it on for a while, I'm assuming it's working. Also, the amount of water collected in the water container is simply ASTOUNDING. Mine has a capacity of 8 litres, and after half a day out (12pm - 10pm), the container was near full. Same applies when I've left it on overnight, since humidity is constantly above 60 in Singapore.

2) although my machine technically covers 88sqm, I realised that when I place it in a wide open area, the humidity doesn't really go down much. In my tiny kitchen however, the humidity decreases rapidly because it's simply more efficient in an enclosed area. With this in mind, perhaps smaller, cheaper dehumidifiers that cover a smaller area instead of my massive $899 one would be just as effective in an enclosed room (e.g., one for every room with mold and mildew; perhaps a more powerful one for the living room).

3) Dehumidifiers aren't air-conditioners; I had this fantasy where my dehumidifier would blow out cold air and dehumidify at the same time, but that was not to be, because it expels warm air. This is made worse by the fact that it actually has a working temperature range of 16 - 35 degrees celsius, above or below which it would simply stop while the air around it heated/cooled. I had to leave the door slightly ajar and switch on the air-conditioning in the living room just to keep it at a steady 30 degrees. I had nightmares about my utilities bill and of the booklice migrating to my other rooms.

And I've just discovered a magic formula - Rubbing Alcohol! I read about it on another post in RT, and when I chanced by it in a chinese pharmacy, I decided I had to give it a shot. I bought a little spray bottle, poured in the rubbing alcohol, and used it to spray the booklice. Result - they simply curled up and died. Non toxic and effective! Brilliant :D

Reason why I wanted dehumidifier is to make sure my WIW doesn't have mildew or become moldy. Then I guess if get a smaller unit will be enough. :)

Thanks for your info. Very helpful!!