Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
Kerio

K's Reno Journey

hey kerio! finally you are back! :)

guess its really the build up in the expectations in the pre-reno stages so when the actual reno started, we will feel disappointed very easily.. but actually reading all the blogs here, most of the time sure have hiccups here and there.. so like you said, most important is the final result! ;)

oh and your neighours have move in liao? can help to watch over your house?

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation
hey kerio! finally you are back! :)

guess its really the build up in the expectations in the pre-reno stages so when the actual reno started, we will feel disappointed very easily.. but actually reading all the blogs here, most of the time sure have hiccups here and there.. so like you said, most important is the final result! ;)

oh and your neighours have move in liao? can help to watch over your house?

Yeah back!! Haha, unfortunately it's not just because I'm busy, but it's also because not many updates to report until recently =.='''

I think hiccups are to be expected lah.. but of course, looking at some of the powerpacked IDs, not only efficient and responsive but fast and good quality work - we'd of course hope ours would be like that ba? Especially since we'd paying off a rather sizeable renovation loan for the next five years =.='''

Our direct neighbours (i.e. connected via kitchen) are starting their reno this week, tentatively completed end of this year also :-) They go down quite frequently to check HDB rectifications and other related matters, which is why I'm always informed if the house is not being worked on (which is almost all the time).

The neighbours connected to them have already moved in! Got one young couple and an elderly couple (likely their parents), think they didn't do much reno from what I see - the tv is simply mounted to the wall (wires showing) and there's a console table for the DVD player.

Updates:

We've gotten some quotations from movers (including one recommended by our neighbour) and after checking all the prices, decided to go for the one recommended by our neighbour since the prices are very similar.

One new development is that boxes are no longer provided unless you specifically ask for them, and there's usually a charge (either deposit for loaning the boxes or payment to buy the boxes) for them. It used to be that boxes were provided FOC to individuals getting moving services (at least, 10 years ago when we last moved), perhaps boxes are now too expensive to provide FOC ba.

Just as I was lamenting the speed of progress, things start to proceed swimmingly. Wonder if my ID reads my posts :ph34r:

1) We've confirmed our Movers, who will be sending us the boxes this Friday!

2) Tiling is done

3) Painting is either starting, or due to start next week. ID will then install lights and other accessories while fabricating carpentry.

4) Air con installation confirmed 22 Nov 2010! :D I think maybe need to take some leave to go jaga a bit..

One of our friends from Treelodge will be getting their keys next Monday! So excited for them!

Edited by Kerio

Just as I was lamenting the speed of progress, things start to proceed swimmingly. Wonder if my ID reads my posts :ph34r:

1) We've confirmed our Movers, who will be sending us the boxes this Friday!

2) Tiling is done

3) Painting is either starting, or due to start next week. ID will then install lights and other accessories while fabricating carpentry.

4) Air con installation confirmed 22 Nov 2010! :D I think maybe need to take some leave to go jaga a bit..

One of our friends from Treelodge will be getting their keys next Monday! So excited for them!

Tiling is done then should be quite soon le ba! :) you are going to move immediately after completion of your reno?

There's still painting, carpentry (incl. Feature Walls, kitchen cabinets, bookshelf and daybed), installation of the various appliances, and cleaning (once by them, and a more thorough one by us)!

But yes, it should be fast if no further delays. We're moving in once Reno is complete, so we can stress test the Reno done so rectifications can be flagged out early:)

There's still painting, carpentry (incl. Feature Walls, kitchen cabinets, bookshelf and daybed), installation of the various appliances, and cleaning (once by them, and a more thorough one by us)!

But yes, it should be fast if no further delays. We're moving in once Reno is complete, so we can stress test the Reno done so rectifications can be flagged out early:)

haha now that you mention the custom make stuff you are doing, i think your 41K is more worth it lo!

haha now that you mention the custom make stuff you are doing, i think your 41K is more worth it lo!

hmm .. the more i read the recent active blogs, the more i feel i have overpaid my contractor! :bangwall:

Also forgot to mention, I still have glass works :D But need to wait for the final bill to see how much more we need to pay.. cos haven't include doors for the rooms and toilets also >.<

hmm .. the more i read the recent active blogs, the more i feel i have overpaid my contractor! :bangwall:

Haha, yours is resale flat leh, plus got atas atas marble flooring!! Ours is the poor man's tiles (i.e. by HDB)..

Though a surprise came a few days back when my ID tried to purchase the living room tiles from HDB and was told it was $15 per tile!! Xiao ah!! Quality not that fantastic lor!!

Kerio, your ID might be right coz mine relooked again and say a full rainshower system might not be possible with the water pipe so low and blocking the way.. but he say he will confirm with me again as he will take actual measurements and look at feasibility to "squeeze" in.. my dream bathroom seems further and further away.. haiz..

Kerio, your ID might be right coz mine relooked again and say a full rainshower system might not be possible with the water pipe so low and blocking the way.. but he say he will confirm with me again as he will take actual measurements and look at feasibility to "squeeze" in.. my dream bathroom seems further and further away.. haiz..

Ya, my dream shower already faded into the rainshower mist le:(( my MBR originally had a bathtub, which, as it turns out, cannot be fitted inside :(

So my ID didn't smoke us.. That's reassuring! :) was worried she'd commit one of the ultimate ID no-nos, which is 'lying to the owner to avoid the extra work'. At least our iD is credible and trustworthy enough to not cut corners so far :)

.....At least our iD is credible and trustworthy enough to not cut corners so far :)

To me, i think this is one of the most important attribute of an ID, besides giving good design. :)

Updates!

Went down to Mega Discount to make full payments for all the electronic equipment and to arrange for the delivery of our kitchen hob and hood and oven just this evening! SO MUCH MONEY.

Painting is going on this week, and lights are going to be installed next Monday; we mentioned to our ID that we were considering using the guest room (which has no reno done to it besides floor, ceiling, lights and paint) to store our stuff because we were running out of space in our parent's place. ID told us the room could be ready by late next week :D

But that means we'll have to squeeze another 200 out for moving services :<

ID's really stepping it up recently though; things are speeding up! :D

Still hoping for a handover next week!!

Updates!

Painting is going on this week, and lights are going to be installed next Monday; we mentioned to our ID that we were considering using the guest room (which has no reno done to it besides floor, ceiling, lights and paint) to store our stuff because we were running out of space in our parent's place. ID told us the room could be ready by late next week :D

But that means we'll have to squeeze another 200 out for moving services :<

ID's really stepping it up recently though; things are speeding up! :D

Still hoping for a handover next week!!

LIES. ALL LIES.

Even as I squat here outside my apartment, the two painters are inside sleeping, after their lunch and smoke break (inside the house, no less).

Painting is NOT DONE. Ceiling will need to be rectified because the air cons can't fit. Whether it's Aron's man's fault or my ID's fault, I don't know yet, but I WILL GET TO THE BOTTOM OF THIS.

Barely the first coat of paint is up, and from what I see, their idea of a completely painted room consists of so many white patches I'm not even sure if it's the first or final coat done.

And to add to the deception, our ID smses me last week telling me "painting is done. Carpentry will be up next week". We came by on saturday, all eager and joyfully fb-ing that we were on our way to see the colors we chose materialise. Turns out, my ID's idea of painting being "done" refers to a lone painter, struggling to paint all four rooms, with progress made so far on only ONE room, which happens to be the one I'm not sure is done or not.

That room, thanks to irony, is also the room I wanted my grandmother to stay in, so she could at least have stayed in her grandson's apartment (I'm the only grandson in the family to own an apartment so far, the rest are too young), and my grandmother passed away on Saturday, barely a few hours after we saw the almost untouched apartment (after more than a month) and despaired that we had been too nice to our ID and allowed her to get away with taking large amounts of money for doing next to nothing.

Trash is ALL OVER THE BLOODY PLACE and CIGARETTE BUTTS AND DISCARDED LIGHTERS as well. It's just as well we're fire insured though I'm sure our neighbours, with their children and elderly would really appreciate being burnt alive if my apartment catches fire.

We spotted a wall damaged by the workers.

The kitchen base is **** SHODDILY DONE. Wife spotted an uneven tile and the bloody concrete isn't even smoothed properly.

Right now, I'm at the new apartment, waiting for the hob, hood and oven that are arriving AS PER MY ID'S INSTRUCTIONS and I don't think she's coming by. And here i am, away from my grandmother's wake while my iD earns $42k for her workers to smoke and sleep in my untouched apartment.

Right now, my words of advice for those considering Artrend:

DON'T.

We really should have gone for Square Room instead.

.....That room, thanks to irony, is also the room I wanted my grandmother to stay in, so she could at least have stayed in her grandson's apartment (I'm the only grandson in the family to own an apartment so far, the rest are too young), and my grandmother passed away on Saturday, barely a few hours after we saw the almost untouched apartment....

My deepest condolences bro...

Deal with your incompetent ID later after your family and yourself had settled down through this difficult time.

Take care of yourself and family ya