Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
Kerio

K's Reno Journey

Nice Layout! Looking forward to the transformation!

Thanks! :) as expected, the layout is good though a little small heh heh :)

ha i think even after the delay, u are still in good time to complete your reno and move in before christmas lo! :)

so did you make alot of changes to your final design? The ID got charge you extra for that?

Yeah, we hope so!! We flagged out several defects which will take a while, though our ID expects the Reno to be done in about 6 weeks (which is really fast considering the amount of work to be done).

We tried not to make any changes, but there was one MAJOR problem- we thought we had opted in for the doors, but turns out we had opted for the floors! So our Reno plans need to shuffle a bit, and flooring is a rather major component. Now need to see if ID can find doors for us haaiz. Though to be honest, I STILL think we opted for the doors judging by the price we paid.

Other than that, we also added a platform in the MBR (est $900), and besides the kitchen wall electrical points need to shift and the living room tv point need to shift (and that dratted opennet thingie, of cos), shouldn't be anything other additional items :)

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation
Yeah, we hope so!! We flagged out several defects which will take a while, though our ID expects the Reno to be done in about 6 weeks (which is really fast considering the amount of work to be done).

We tried not to make any changes, but there was one MAJOR problem- we thought we had opted in for the doors, but turns out we had opted for the floors! So our Reno plans need to shuffle a bit, and flooring is a rather major component. Now need to see if ID can find doors for us haaiz. Though to be honest, I STILL think we opted for the doors judging by the price we paid.

Other than that, we also added a platform in the MBR (est $900), and besides the kitchen wall electrical points need to shift and the living room tv point need to shift (and that dratted opennet thingie, of cos), shouldn't be anything other additional items :)

hmm.. do you still keep all the documents u signed with hdb? i did a check and there is one option form called Optional Component Scheme and it stated clealy what u opt and also opt out lo.. and also under another document Option to Purchase, under first schedule, it also break down your purchase price and state down these optional components as well.. ;)

think if i kena this thing, sure tell hdb to hack away foc for me lor!

hmm.. do you still keep all the documents u signed with hdb? i did a check and there is one option form called Optional Component Scheme and it stated clealy what u opt and also opt out lo.. and also under another document Option to Purchase, under first schedule, it also break down your purchase price and state down these optional components as well.. ;)

think if i kena this thing, sure tell hdb to hack away foc for me lor!

Ya, that's the thing.. We can't find the copies -..- we vaguely recall stuffing it into some nook or crevice in my tiny room, but after 3 years, all I've managed to find with my frantic scrabbling would be dust, books covered in dust, and unrelated dusty documents. Haiz, just have to go on with the floor and build doors lor.. Anyway doors cheaper if we go for the normal ones :)

ID went down to take a look yesterday, and updated us on a couple of issues:

1) She'd need to get a permit from HDB to hack the kitchen wall and floor, because of the "problem" of the HDB kitchen floors overlapping into the living room if we knock down the wall.

2) The MBR bathroom is too small to fit a bathtub, so we'd have to make do without (wifey and I discussed it previously and we're ok with doing without).

Looks like we'd have to shift the money from the construction of the bathtub into a shower screen and the MBR platform.

Also, on a separate note, the contractors hovering around the block every day (and night) are really getting on our nerves. We understand most of them (or maybe just some of them) are honest businessmen and some may even have high standards of workmanship, but seriously, we're more put off than intrigued when approached like that. Choosing contractors for House renovation is not quite something you make decisions on off the cuff, anyway.

In any case, it might work to our benefit since it gives us time to get the cheques for our ID; I think it feels wrong to have them commence work without giving them the first 50% (10+40), even though we did put in a 1k deposit.

Hi, it might be better to pay them gradually in stages rather than 50% straight. That's to safeguard you just in case something happens. Don't need to feel paiseh as it is a common practice.

i think paying 50% is ok as long as you are comfortable with it. but do look out for signs where the ID tries to get more from you when there's only a little done.

ID went down to take a look yesterday, and updated us on a couple of issues:

1) She'd need to get a permit from HDB to hack the kitchen wall and floor, because of the "problem" of the HDB kitchen floors overlapping into the living room if we knock down the wall.

2) The MBR bathroom is too small to fit a bathtub, so we'd have to make do without (wifey and I discussed it previously and we're ok with doing without).

Looks like we'd have to shift the money from the construction of the bathtub into a shower screen and the MBR platform.

Also, on a separate note, the contractors hovering around the block every day (and night) are really getting on our nerves. We understand most of them (or maybe just some of them) are honest businessmen and some may even have high standards of workmanship, but seriously, we're more put off than intrigued when approached like that. Choosing contractors for House renovation is not quite something you make decisions on off the cuff, anyway.

hmm.. seems to me your ID is quite new in this line.. coz she didn warn you in advance of the obvious.. since u make quite a number of changes to your original design so did she do a revised quote? or just use debit/credit notes to effect the changes?

haha ya totally understand how u feel, coz i went there kaypo last week and we just step near 601C only and the contractors all swarmed towards us lo! lolz.. but i think u just need to tell them nicely that u already got your own contractor n they will leave u alone.. ;)

Hi, it might be better to pay them gradually in stages rather than 50% straight. That's to safeguard you just in case something happens. Don't need to feel paiseh as it is a common practice.

Thanks for the advice! In this case we need to give her 10% upon confirmation and 40% upon commencement, so we need to give her 50% once work commences :)

i think paying 50% is ok as long as you are comfortable with it. but do look out for signs where the ID tries to get more from you when there's only a little done.

Yup, I've been stalking renotalk for some time, so I know some of the tricks some IDs try.. Hopefully nothing of he sort will happen though :)

hmm.. seems to me your ID is quite new in this line.. coz she didn warn you in advance of the obvious.. since u make quite a number of changes to your original design so did she do a revised quote? or just use debit/credit notes to effect the changes?

haha ya totally understand how u feel, coz i went there kaypo last week and we just step near 601C only and the contractors all swarmed towards us lo! lolz.. but i think u just need to tell them nicely that u already got your own contractor n they will leave u alone.. ;)

We're still consolidating the can and can't-dos, but I'll definitely request for a variation order or a revised invoice.. Debit credit notes sound really unprofessional!

Ya that's what I did! I was like "have Liao have Liao" and scuttling away quickly with my wife in tow haha..

Thanks for the advice! In this case we need to give her 10% upon confirmation and 40% upon commencement, so we need to give her 50% once work commences :)

Yup, I've been stalking renotalk for some time, so I know some of the tricks some IDs try.. Hopefully nothing of he sort will happen though :)

We're still consolidating the can and can't-dos, but I'll definitely request for a variation order or a revised invoice.. Debit credit notes sound really unprofessional!

Ya that's what I did! I was like "have Liao have Liao" and scuttling away quickly with my wife in tow haha..

oops! haha one of our shortlisted ID used debit/credit notes lor.. are u taking reno loan? do u know if there are changes after the loan is approved, can still resubmit to increase/decrease loan? i trying to see whether i can include all my reno costs in the loan lor.. trying hard to save as much cash as possible for our wedding next year.. hmm..

oops! haha one of our shortlisted ID used debit/credit notes lor.. are u taking reno loan? do u know if there are changes after the loan is approved, can still resubmit to increase/decrease loan? i trying to see whether i can include all my reno costs in the loan lor.. trying hard to save as much cash as possible for our wedding next year.. hmm..

Oops haha! As long as there's a common understanding and you trust the ID, shouldn't be a problem right :)

Yup we're taking Reno loan.. But we won't need to adjust it cos we're taking the full quantum, and even if there're adjustments that need to be made, there're just minor ones that will probably be absorbed by Reno changes along the way.

I also forgot to clarify, ID only found out about the bathtub when she took a physical look at the place.. Maybe sometimes the floorplan is too misleading I guess :)

Still waiting for Reno permit!

Backdated post from 28 Sep 2010 - First day of work begins!

We wanted to hack down the kitchen wall separating the kitchen and the dining area (circled in red below), and the reno permit was approved soon after the ID applied for it. But the week before hacking was due to start, our ID called me and told me HDB wanted to oversee the hacking. So wifey and I took half day leave to be present.

tohack.jpg

Area to be hacked circled.

Apparently, we were the first in the estate to get hacking done, so the HDB engineer had to drop by to see if the wall was "hackable". In a sense, we're quite honoured, though if the verdict had been "not hackable", we'd be devastated to have to pay money to patch back a wall we didn't want in the first place.

The HDB engineer (background) and HDB rep (Foreground) arrive! It felt vaguely like a Ministerial Visit.

hdbengineer.jpg

Engineer at work. The worker originally wanted to take a hammer to the wall, but the engineer protested and instructed him to use a, er, machine of sorts. The sort you use to penetrate a pavement with, by use of vigourous vibrations. Meh, no matter how I say it, it still sounds dirty.

engineeratwork.jpg

And the hacking begins! Thankfully, the wall is hollow, so Vista residents; there you have it! The wall is hollow and can be hacked :D

hackingbegins.jpg

Also designated the location of the sink (near the svc yard since the pipes are there) and the electrical and lighting points. Fruitful day, all things considered.

sinklocation.jpg

Going over this weekend to take a look at what progress has been made :D

And the hacking begins! Thankfully, the wall is hollow, so Vista residents; there you have it! The wall is hollow and can be hacked :D

hackingbegins.jpg

Going over this weekend to take a look at what progress has been made :D

yippie!! no need for PE! :lol: me knocking down the same piece of wall as well!!

yippie!! no need for PE! :lol: me knocking down the same piece of wall as well!!

i would like to knock down a similar piece of wall for unit at treelodge as well. let's hope it's hollow too :P