Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
neubie

Revamp Of A 40yo 3rm Pigeonhole...

Last night popped in to inspect the flat... debris all removed, new tiles and bags of cement uploaded... :D

MBR

IMG_0951.jpg

Common Room

IMG_0950.jpg

Door frame delivered

IMG_0952.jpg

IMG_0953.jpg

Corrugated protection paper, cement, etc

IMG_0954.jpg

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Homo tiles

IMG_0955.jpg

The 老板 aka old woods used for the cornices are removed from the ceiling... ;p

IMG_0956.jpg

My contractor commented the previous floor was laid far thicker (about 3.5") than required, so I told him not to lay as thick as before, as I wanted the ceiling to be as high as possible...

Today wetworks should start at the kitchen.... hope everything turns out fine...

Men at work today... during lunch time popped by and see they've (4 guys) almost done up the base layer of the kitchen walls....

IMG_0964.jpg

Part of the recessed walls were topped up by the hollow bricks just to fit the cabinet....so that the fridge next to the proposed cabinet can be pushed further in.

As I left the worksite, they have almost finished the low wall.... and started on mounting the door frames... really fast hand fast leg...

by night, bathroom/WC floorings are ready. mousehole drain replaced by floortrap. sorry about the noisy pics, as the lighting in kitchen area was torn off during demolition...

IMG_0970.jpg

Low wall up

IMG_0974.jpg

Rubbish chute hole tiled up

IMG_0973.jpg

Recessed wall filled with hollow block and tiled up :)

IMG_0975.jpg

Edited by neubie

Drafted a floorplan as shown. Towards the end of the utility area, it's not to scale due to cumulative errors in drafting...

As I wanted the living room to be longer to accomodate the dining area, the kitchen length will be reduced by 2 feet... one advantage would be to cut down cost of wall tilings and kitchen cabinet :rolleyes:

A rotating full-height TV console wall will be constructed, so can still watch TV while eating chilli crab....or watching movies on the sofa. The console act as a partition wall, so that nobody can see from outside when makaning.... ;)

The 2 bedrooms + living/dining area will be installed with sys-3 aircon. Full-height top-hung glass partition (one fixed, 2 movable) will be installed...

L-boxes for the living area with 8 downlights and false ceiling with 4 downlights + 1 pendant light for the dining area. Also false ceiling for 02 bedrooms with downlights & cove lighting as well.

Small basin will be relocated & installed in the bathroom.

Floorplan_03.jpg

Tiling on living room started on 16/9/2010. As first tile is set centered from the doorway, can't step into see the rest...

Popped in 17/9/2010, did some inspection... kitchen tiles are almost complete. living rooms are tiled, but discovered the living room was not extended far enuf into the kitchen :o .... double-checked my floorplan, something really amiss...

IMG_0983.jpg

IMG_0989.jpg

really kena shortchanged by 2 feet :bangwall: :bangwall: :bangwall: immediately called my contractor which we met today, showed him the before-demolition pictures and convinced he conveyed the wrong info to his workers.... and his guys immediately started removing 2 feet of kitchen tiles and floor tiles... i see the nicely laid tiles being taken out very simtia.... :( :(

IMG_0999.jpg

but i must really admire my contractor's attitude and his guy's fast response....

a valuable lesson learnt... bros/sis going getting their reno done, please take as much photos as possible before the demolition, esp those areas that need extension or alteration.... use marker draw on the walls to demarcate properly and take photos....if kiasu, draw on the ceiling :D , cos the moment the walls/tiles are hacked away, nobody knows where exactly the reference/demarcation lines are, and you are left very much at the mercy of the contractor/ID's memory liao....while hiccups are unavoidable, please make it a point to inspect everyday to ensure all screwups are not snowballed until it is irreparably permanent. do not let the errors/problems accumulate. get it rectified asap

Edited by neubie

Hacked 2ft of kitchen wall and floor tiles, added one more 600mm homo tiles for the living room...also added more hollow blocks to filled up the recessed area...

IMG_1072.jpg

IMG_1073.jpg

tilers applying white putty paste to the grout lines and cleaning off the excess paste....

IMG_1071.jpg

work continues monday...

Edited by neubie

Ur kitchen tiles is the same as mine! Agreed with what u say, must must go and check everyday. Ours also had some mistakes on the kitchen tiling, immediately told my id and her guys quickly made the changes.

Ur kitchen tiles is the same as mine! Agreed with what u say, must must go and check everyday. Ours also had some mistakes on the kitchen tiling, immediately told my id and her guys quickly made the changes.

now even with the kitchen lights switched off, the kitchen looks far brighter with natural lighting.... :D :D :D

hey neubie, sorry missed out on your blog! congrats on starting reno (a bit late ah :P )..looks like it has been progressing really quickly! and your place has almost the same layout as mine...

so are u getting the mild steel gate from ah lee?

hey neubie, sorry missed out on your blog! congrats on starting reno (a bit late ah :P )..looks like it has been progressing really quickly! and your place has almost the same layout as mine...

so are u getting the mild steel gate from ah lee?

Not yet contacted him.... checking tonight what are the design/options given to me... but i saw one shop at IMM that design/fabricate wrought aluminum...yes, it's not typo, not wrought iron, but wrought aluminum main gate and window grilles... the x-section looks thick and strong, feels solid and not reminiscent of typical aluminum makes... can be made into any design that looks like WI, also have the square x-sectional rungs w/o the ugly bumps and waves.....dunno if anyone made this?

Tiling works officially ended today... took about a week to complete. had it not been the mistake, tiling works shd be complete by last saturday...

now the living room is almost 20ft long :dribble:

IMG_1079.jpg

Tilers cleaned up the place, packed the barang barang and off they go to another site...

Edited by neubie

met up with my contractor, settled the upcoming works:

- plumbing

- carpentry

- AC rewiring

- aircon piping & condenser installation

- ceiling works

- painting

yesterday, emailed him about some minor areas to touchup as shown:

IMG_3556.jpg

IMG_3565.jpg

IMG_3562.jpg

and all areas done up nicely... :rolleyes:

I told him to slow down a bit as the progress was too fast too furious liao.... :D , he commented that most of the projects he do all complete within 1 month, chop chop currypop, fast but still maintaining standard...he told me his best record is within 1month complete $70k+ entire overhaul of an EM, complete teardown of the wall/floor tiles and staircase and rebuilt with glass staircase.... :bow:

Edited by neubie