Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
toyshop

My Humble House @ Bedok

Hi, I have been reading this forum since I collected the key in March. Yes, that was 1/2 ago. Finally, I have started my reno journey yesterday. I have decided to start this blog to share my experience.

The last 2 months, I have started to invite contractors for quotation, finally deciced 1 of them, highly recommended by my colleague. The price is about 50% cheaper as compared to those quoted by IDs.

I will upload the photo over the next few days and the renovation progress :)

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Thanks for the welcome note... i will start off with the floor plan.

floorplan.gif

It is a small unit with low ceiling. Initially I was reluctant to do any kind of false ceiling. After some reconsideration, decide to go with a small section of false ceiling in the TV area in the living room, for aesthetic reason :)

Hi,

I will be starting the flooring work tmr. I like to know from the fellow forumers, what are thing to look out, when I go and check on the work done.

1. What I can think of is, the gap between tiles. It should not be too big a gap. But if it is already tiled up when I go visit the place, don't think there is anything I can do right?

2. Look for hollow sound underneath the tiles.

What other things should I be looking at?

Hi,

I will be starting the flooring work tmr. I like to know from the fellow forumers, what are thing to look out, when I go and check on the work done.

1. What I can think of is, the gap between tiles. It should not be too big a gap. But if it is already tiled up when I go visit the place, don't think there is anything I can do right?

2. Look for hollow sound underneath the tiles.

What other things should I be looking at?

For tile flooring, can also check if there are any chips at the edges. Also check if there are lipping i.e. between tiles, are they laid evenly. If u need to ask them to hack and change, bear in mind that there may be a tile tonality issue due to different batches.

Went down this afternoon, and notice that the flooring work has not started yet. The false ceiling with wiring is completed though. Attached is the photo taken for the work-in-progress ceiling work. Believe I should have the flooring and ceiling work fully done up when I next visit the place. So this weekend, I have to start shopping for aircon, lighting, ceiling fan, bathroom accessories. Going to be a busy weekend ahead.

imag0290f.jpg

imag0292a.jpg

imag0296h.jpg

My last post was in more than 3 months ago in Sept 2010. The renovation is coming to an end soon. Yes, the project is not still on-going, I have yet to furnish the house :)

I will do a quick run up on the progress made so far.

The ceiling and masonry works completed in about 3-4 weeks time. I do not have much problem with the contractor for the whole duration, except some minor issue with the false ceiling. Quality is good, keep the place tidy, and work according to schedule.

imag0288ra.jpg

imag0295d.jpg

While the ceiling and masonry works were going on, we work on the shopping spree to get the following fixtures for our contractor to fix for us.

1. Amasco Ceiling fan

2. Instant water heater

3. Bathroom accessories

4. Lightings from Light Palace at Balestier - Few light bulds not working, went back for exchange.

5. Air conditioning.

6. Turbo wok

All this work completed in late October. While this is going on, we were working on the design and material for our carpentry. The carpenter had informed us that the work will start in after X'mas in Dec. So the house was left idling for the next 1-2 months.

After xmas, the day for carpentry has finally came. First is the living room.

We have the feature wall and shoe cabinet fixed up.

Work in progress:

dsc00087ht.jpg

dsc00088zx.jpg

Final product:

08012011043j.jpg

08012011044.jpg