Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
ngunadi

Table Leg And Workmanship For This Wood Table Top

I recently bought 2 piece of woods for my coffee table

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1383/514199...f4b8644a3_b.jpg

5141990774_ef4b8644a3_b.jpg

My plan is to:

1. Buy the legs from IKEA (or any other option)

2. Ask carpenter to help to install the leg

Question:

which carpenter can i used? Some carpenter told me that they don't accept this kind of job ...

if I have to do it myself, without any experience, is it possible?

Edited by ngunadi

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation
I recently bought 2 piece of woods for my coffee table

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1383/514199...f4b8644a3_b.jpg

5141990774_ef4b8644a3_b.jpg

My plan is to:

1. Buy the legs from IKEA (or any other option)

2. Ask carpenter to help to install the leg

Question:

which carpenter can i used? Some carpenter told me that they don't accept this kind of job ...

if I have to do it myself, without any experience, is it possible?

yes, ikea, you can do it yourself, maybe 3legged!

yes, ikea, you can do it yourself, maybe 3legged!

It's very heavy. So if i DIY, i worry:

1. Break the leg

2. The leg position is not correct and the table not stable and hit someone's feet :(

hence, if possible i try to engage "pro"

u can get this either one of this:

and replace the top with ur nice acquisition.

no idea how big your wood is though, so dunno whether will fit on these ikea products.

Edited by morganwu

hmm wat kind of legs are u looking at...? as in how tall..?

would those legs for kitchen cabinets be enough?

nice wood u have there! :) how much was it...

Kitchen cabinets leg might be enough. Yet to scout IKEA for the legs. The picture in the post shows the "ugly" side of the wood.

Bought it from indon, it's around $50/piece

u can get this either one of this:

and replace the top with ur nice acquisition.

no idea how big your wood is though, so dunno whether will fit on these ikea products.

Wood very big, thick and heavy. I don't think the ikea ones can handle more than 10 kg? :D

It's very heavy. So if i DIY, i worry:

1. Break the leg

2. The leg position is not correct and the table not stable and hit someone's feet :(

hence, if possible i try to engage "pro"

Bro, you import from indonesia your own?

- This kind of "raw" section-cutting from trunk, only "raw" legs fit to support it.

- Usually need wood-drill bit (big diameter wood cutter, round ) to make 3 shallow holes at bottom.

- Insert the "raw" legs.

- Leg between leg need reinforcement.

- Should surf net to get some pictures for idea first

- This sort of table suit to be put under big tree, with stools, then drink coffee

- Or, just go to roadside and get a tree branch(make sure big & solid enough)and saw into raw legs. Let dry.

- Long time no handon on wood stuff, I got no confidence to do DIY, unless got space & necessary tool and time.

- How big is the diameter of this "table"?

- I don't use cofee table at home since 1st baby arrived , some 15 years ago already, found obstructing.

- I have a "wooden pen holder" in Y-shape, cut and made from a roadside tree trunk, when I was 16 year old doing part-time job during school holiday, helping out classmate's father at construction site, constructing wood structure to build drainage then pour cement into....touch job builds touch character.

- Or can use this as "chopping board"?

Edited by bepgof

@TS my gut feel is that the IKEA products with solid wooden legs are more than enough to support your timber top. those with metal legs make for a pretty nice contemporary design.

your timber looks like acacia, dun think it can be used as a chopping board.

as for your question whether it is possible to DIY without any experience, we all got to start somewhere. why dont you try first? i see you got 1 extra piece to fall back on...

What about as a dart board? :P

Edited by bepgof

Bro, you import from indonesia your own?

- This kind of "raw" section-cutting from trunk, only "raw" legs fit to support it.

- Usually need wood-drill bit (big diameter wood cutter, round ) to make 3 shallow holes at bottom.

- Insert the "raw" legs.

- Leg between leg need reinforcement.

- Should surf net to get some pictures for idea first

- This sort of table suit to be put under big tree, with stools, then drink coffee

- Or, just go to roadside and get a tree branch(make sure big & solid enough)and saw into raw legs. Let dry.

- Long time no handon on wood stuff, I got no confidence to do DIY, unless got space & necessary tool and time.

- How big is the diameter of this "table"?

- I don't use cofee table at home since 1st baby arrived , some 15 years ago already, found obstructing.

- I have a "wooden pen holder" in Y-shape, cut and made from a roadside tree trunk, when I was 16 year old doing part-time job during school holiday, helping out classmate's father at construction site, constructing wood structure to build drainage then pour cement into....touch job builds touch character.

- Or can use this as "chopping board"?

Not exactly import. I went to Bali for fren's wedding, then went around with couple of frens who hunting for furniture. Then itchy hand to buy this piece of wood.

I also think need some support between the legs, like the "spider legs" for windows to hep to reinforce.

Diameter should be around 50 cm.

This one is not very big, so hopefully not too obstructing. If it's too obstructing, then I proceed to sell it off here to the forums :D

Can't use as chopping board, too heavy and big to move around (during cleaning). It's around 10 over kg.

@TS my gut feel is that the IKEA products with solid wooden legs are more than enough to support your timber top. those with metal legs make for a pretty nice contemporary design.

as for your question whether it is possible to DIY without any experience, we all got to start somewhere. why dont you try first? i see you got 1 extra piece to fall back on...

True true ... long weekend is coming, good time to start from somewhere to DIY this :D