Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
jackohy

Toilet Bi-fold Door

thanks ernie for sharing ur experiences..

so to summarise, pddoor would be useful in space starved toilets but still redundant if toilet too small?

haha...from what i gather, to use pddoor, one should have enuff space to utilise its 180 deg opening...

aesthetic wise hardly looks like much of a diff...so i think i cant go wrong with either normal or top hung

bi-fold doors then...

YNWA,

El Nino

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation
thanks ernie for sharing ur experiences..

so to summarise, pddoor would be useful in space starved toilets but still redundant if toilet too small?

haha...from what i gather, to use pddoor, one should have enuff space to utilise its 180 deg opening...

aesthetic wise hardly looks like much of a diff...so i think i cant go wrong with either normal or top hung

bi-fold doors then...

YNWA,

El Nino

The left side of my pd door is shower screen, and the othe side at the entrance is my bed frame. Bedroom too small, and toilet also small, so not able to swing 180 degrees. Very small 90sqm house ma. Whoahahahaaaa.. :P

Main reasons for me against using alu frame bifold doors are the bottom track and the annoying snap clip. The clips of both my current bifold doors spoiled within a year of installation and we could not fully close the doors without force (lift and yank method). The noise it made always disturbs my baby's sleep at night so I swore off bifolds for my new house.

I am having PD doors at my new house for both the common and MBR toilets, as well as at the kitchen/service balcony doorway.

Before I comment on the PD doors, there are couple of things to note:

• There are actually 2 main companies dealing with PD Door types, one at Balestier Rd (Swing Slide Door), and one at Eunos Avenue 6 (PD Door). My contractor told me that both are actually the same company because even though the order is placed at Balestier, its the Eunos office that calls regarding installation arrangements. However, I don't have info on whether which "office" is cheaper.
  • If you want to look at the range, look up the PD Door website. It has a better representation of what you are getting. If you visit the offices personally, I would expect both to have the same samples on display. I can't confirm this though since I only visited the Balestier office.
  • The price goes up from Acrylic + Acrylic, to Acrylic + Phenolic, to Glass + Acrylic/Phenolic. You can also go with 2 panes of glass if you wish.
  • There are 4 types of latches. The default ,which they call H-Latch, is just a sliding (up/down) catch on the door's alu frame, with the hook on the door frame itself. The sales will claim the hook is prone to breaking on rough use, especially if the door is slammed shut. They will sell the guardian latch which you will need to top up on top of the Door Price. The hook is on the door this time and will rotate back into the door if the door is forcefully closed. This is supposed to minimize the chance of the hook snapping (although any forceful lateral movement may still break it). Another is the Coin-Turn Lock, which I did not see at the showroom. One final latch is the type commonly seen is balcony glass sliding doors. It is not shown anywhere that this can be used but I asked for it and they were able to accommodate my request.
  • One final note is that there are 4 colors to the door frame, White, Bronze, Grey and Blue-Tint. You might want to factor that into your design

As mentioned in earlier posts, the lack of a bottom track does tend to make the PD Door slightly more flimsy. I was advised to select a door design which is sturdier to counter this. Having said that, the door's build itself is no weaker than the standard alu bifolds.

When communicating the way you want the PD Door installed, be very specific in how you want it to open, swing and operate. Sometimes the guys taking measurements can get it wrong and it will be too late after installation.

The installation workmanship can be slip-shod at times (as in my personal experience). Inspect the installation carefully and insist on getting anything amiss rectified.

On durability, I guess its up to us to take care of our own things. If we use it with care, it should last us at least as long as bifold doors. (As a side note, if anyone can remember the HDB installed bifolds with the plastic handles, I snapped the handle cleanly off while trying to close the latch barely 2 months moving into my current house 10 years ago. )

Here's my experience on using P D doors.

It looked nice and I thought it was worth paying for the good looks and the lack of a bottom rail. If my home was only used by my family , this door could last for years..Alas, during new year etc, I will have loads of relatives friends visiting and most of them close the door incorrectly. In less than two years of using this door, the plastic clips have been broken twice. I have paid for one repair..right now it is broken again. My patience has run out and I am looking to replace it with a normal bi-fold door.. Note that you cant possibly teach every kid, aunty, uncle on how to use this door unless you plan to conduct door closing lessons on your new year day to teach all of them ... Even if you teach them, It just takes one forgetful person to pull out the hidden piece before snapping the first piece in place and wala, your door needs repair! :bangwall:

I dislike bi-fold doors and after hearing bad comments about PD doors, I decided to spend more to get the Besglas doors for my master and common toilets.

DSCF1213.JPG

Very happy with the doors in glass and aluminium. The quality is very good ! Very easy to open and close. Highly recommended.

http://myrenovationblog.blogspot.com/

Edited by frostyapple

I dislike bi-fold doors and after hearing bad comments about PD doors, I decided to spend more to get the Besglas doors for my master and common toilets.

DSCF1213.JPG

Actually after read through your blog, I interested in your kitchen top that is LG... Can recomemend me your ID?

Very happy with the doors in glass and aluminium. The quality is very good ! Very easy to open and close. Highly recommended.

http://myrenovationblog.blogspot.com/

Hi EoneKhaled,

My contractor is Joo Guan Huat at Tradehub. Call Peter at 9385 9749. He is not exactly an ID in the sense that he cannot come up with fancy designs, he is more like a contractor. We need to specify exactly what we want to him. He provides very good service and delivers what he promises. Highly recommended.

Hi All,

I am a bi fold door manufacturer, would like to know if you guys prefer to have your interior doors and shower screens printed with designs?

Would you like to have colourful, artistic and cute designs printed on the door panels? If you could have the door printed with your own design and colour at the same cost of the regular bi fold door and shower screen, would you buy it?

By4_01.jpg

Edited by vitally

This blog page contains the pros and cons of all the available door options for toilet door. Very useful. I got my bifold door from the company (Ho Ho Engineering) who wrote this blog. Only cost $188 net. Cheap and good. They also have many pattern design if you are willing to pay more.

http://gate-grille-window-door.blogspot.sg/p/bi-fold-door-popular-choice-for-toilet.html