Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
Kalidor

Help! Neighbour's Plants And Stuff Choking The Corridor

I bot a corner unit and bot up the recess area so my main gate now opens into the corridor instead of perpendicular to it.

Next door neighbour is a middle aged couple. Has pots of plants lining the entire length of the parapet outside their unit. On top of that, they also have short cabinets and shelves lining the wall of the corridor directly outside their unit. In addition, about 60cm from my main gate, he put a small table and there are small potted plants on it.

It's a pain. If I go NTUC buy groceries, there is no way i can walk thru the corridor straight..... i gotta move like a crab.... on top of that, I think its a fire hazard as well. the corridor is 1.5m width, there is only 70 - 85cm left after accounting for potted plants on one side and his barang barang on the other.

I know i can complain to TC, but I dun wanna spoil neighbourly relations and will leave that only as a LAST resort....

anyone got similar experience???? how did you get your neighbours to shift their stuff???

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

U have to either live with it or u have to talk to them nicely.

But if u choose the 2nd option, there is always a risk that ur relationship with them will turn sour. U have to be very very diplomatic with them.

There's a neighbour putting up few blocks away who does just what your neighbour did. His plants were stolen or destroyed but he couldn't pin-point at anyone because there are 6 units on the same floor. And all of them has to pass through his corridoor to go to the lift lobby.

Did u notice those plants before you bought the place?

Do they happen to own any small-scale nurseries here in Singapore?

I bot a corner unit and bot up the recess area so my main gate now opens into the corridor instead of perpendicular to it.

Next door neighbour is a middle aged couple. Has pots of plants lining the entire length of the parapet outside their unit. On top of that, they also have short cabinets and shelves lining the wall of the corridor directly outside their unit. In addition, about 60cm from my main gate, he put a small table and there are small potted plants on it.

It's a pain. If I go NTUC buy groceries, there is no way i can walk thru the corridor straight..... i gotta move like a crab.... on top of that, I think its a fire hazard as well. the corridor is 1.5m width, there is only 70 - 85cm left after accounting for potted plants on one side and his barang barang on the other.

I know i can complain to TC, but I dun wanna spoil neighbourly relations and will leave that only as a LAST resort....

anyone got similar experience???? how did you get your neighbours to shift their stuff???

No need to give face to yr neighbour. Since you already know it a fire hazard to you and yr family, why wait? Just take photo and complain to TC by email. You will not want to regret if fire issus really happen. Since yr neighbour dun care about the fire safety so why care for them. This is what I did to my so call neighbour when I brought my flat.

Try to talk to them first, if not successful, then complain.

Do not be worry about the relationship, because what u did is good for everyone. What if there is a fire?

my auntie neigbour is like that. Only give enough space for her to open her main gate.

The family complain to TC and other party.

But no effect at all.

The negibour now convert an area (door to door unit area) to a garden, put 1 table + 2 chair

my auntie neigbour is like that. Only give enough space for her to open her main gate.

The family complain to TC and other party.

But no effect at all.

The negibour now convert an area (door to door unit area) to a garden, put 1 table + 2 chair

Isn't there a rule that prohibits you from placing items in common spaces? I think the fire hazard reason is one that is often cited.

Isn't there a rule that prohibits you from placing items in common spaces? I think the fire hazard reason is one that is often cited.

don't know

I knew, my cousin has wrote to Town council, MP, civil defence, fire harzard related department.

even took picture.

But almost 10 yrs liao. still the same.

They don't just place on the door to door area.

Their plant extend to the 1/2 staircase lower.

U know.. those staircase has a big area at the turning area.

( I don't know what is the correct term of this)

Hi forgotten, but those poor plants are innocent! :( *sob*

Back to the crux of this thread, town councils had taken a very serious view & would take action against residents who clatter the emergency staircase with their belongings.

Over at our place, they issued warnings to residents to clear their belongings by a stipulated date. Afterwhich, they will remove & discard those stuff blocking the emergency staircase.

The ground floor neighbour rented out his flat to a new group of tenants and now, the walkway is flanked by huge plants on both sides. A "forest". Most of us need to walk sideways like a crab to avoid getting "pricked" by their plants.

don't know

I knew, my cousin has wrote to Town council, MP, civil defence, fire harzard related department.

even took picture.

But almost 10 yrs liao. still the same.

They don't just place on the door to door area.

Their plant extend to the 1/2 staircase lower.

U know.. those staircase has a big area at the turning area.

( I don't know what is the correct term of this)

OMG, almost 10 yrs?? Yr cousin can take it har... Ask yr cousin write to Town council and MP again, election coming they should be very effective. No kidding, fire harzard safety for yr cousin.

If there's no intention to sell off the flat and move elsewhere, can ask press to come up to take photographs and do a write-up in the newspapers.

My brother inlaw & his neighbours had been complaining about another new neighbour staying on the other end of their level.

Apparently, that neighbour uses the recess area on their side to air her sarongs, saris, underwear, store huge stacks of newspapers, toys for her children. Packets of bryani & curries r found at the staircases. When we visited, the walkway & corridoor reeked of stale food.

Complaints were lodged with town council. No use. The latest news is that all her sarongs and saris were stolen :P

OMG, almost 10 yrs?? Yr cousin can take it har... Ask yr cousin write to Town council and MP again, election coming they should be very effective. No kidding, fire harzard safety for yr cousin.

my auntie family basically give up on them liao.

Town Council did talk to them but they don't bother.

Now, the block is having lift upgrade, they move away all the plants.

Write to MP. My cousin say waste time.

The MP famous quote "sacking Singaporean elderly workers and replacing them with foreigners in his constituency"

I'm sorry that you are placed in this most unfortunate situation. There seems to be no other option for you than to approach your TC & MP, though some forumers may have other advice. Talking to your neighbour nicely is good, but first and foremost they must be very understanding people to be able to listen you out, but what they have already done show otherwise. Playing the "rights" card, that your neighbour is causing a fire hazard will not augur well with the TC & MP. Only way is to play the victim and plead with them to understand how your neighbour has cause you such terrible discomfort. If you do not like to call on the TC or MP, Take pictures of your corridor and email them to the TC and MP. If that does not help, then forward the same email to the National Development minister, and perhaps later the Prime Minister. This will make the TC and MP wake up if they didn't do the job well.

http://70wood.blogspot.com

http://70woodprofiles.blogspot.com

I don't think the politicians have time to deal with such situations.

Chances are their secretaries would filter through mailers and pass the appeal letters back to the relevant department.

So, it's highly unlikely that the ministers would get to read such appeal letters!

Edited by edenstrauss

I'm sorry that you are placed in this most unfortunate situation. There seems to be no other option for you than to approach your TC & MP, though some forumers may have other advice. Talking to your neighbour nicely is good, but first and foremost they must be very understanding people to be able to listen you out, but what they have already done show otherwise. Playing the "rights" card, that your neighbour is causing a fire hazard will not augur well with the TC & MP. Only way is to play the victim and plead with them to understand how your neighbour has cause you such terrible discomfort. If you do not like to call on the TC or MP, Take pictures of your corridor and email them to the TC and MP. If that does not help, then forward the same email to the National Development minister, and perhaps later the Prime Minister. This will make the TC and MP wake up if they didn't do the job well.

personally, I think STOMP is effective then writing to TC & MP.