Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
Ely1

The Best Journey Always Leads Us Home

Hi All,

Decided it's time to "pay it forward" after garnering so many useful tips and guides from this very generous forum. It makes one less apprehensive knowing you're not alone in your overwhelmed, clueless state (which I find myself in most of the time). It's nerve-wrecking being a first-time homeowner. Even more so when you're creating a future home for a family - to love where you live, to be able to grow within and with the home, to make the place uniquely yours.

Albeit a mild set-back in home searching (the recent HDB ruling), we found The One after visiting 55 homes. Yes, 55! Armed with papers, chequebooks, and signing roughly 439 closing-related documents with home owners, lawyers, agents, IDs etc, the key is finally in the door and we had our official handover on Valentine's Day (how's that for romantic!). All the while juggling the coordination of our ROM held in December last year, a honeymoon in Bali, all the familial festivity obligations, and our upcoming wedding banquet in December this year - Logically, it sounds like such ideal staggering but in reality, we're exhausted with meetings and browsing and errands and research, and honestly, a little cash-strapped.

It’s an old apartment, so everything needs to be redone. It lies tucked in the East, amidst tranquil landscaping and nature (kingfishers, parakeets and owls!), which was a major selling point for us.

My brief to IDs was simple: I want a home I love to spend time in with those I love. It is contemporary, luxurious, sophisticated, plush, textile, clean and spacious. It is animal-friendly without compromising on style and comfort.

Very few IDs got back to me after mass-mailing selected ID firms this forum recommended - perhaps I was too pedantic, perhaps I didn't convey my ideas clearly enough, perhaps everyone just had such a full load, perhaps my massive Inspiration Board was too intimidating/annoying. Nonetheless, we signed with an ID we liked merely days before the handover and work commenced a week later.

I think it's hard when you know a renovation process consists of two project phases - the design phase and the construction phase - and when we're so thrown into the construction phase without an inkling of the design makes it so difficult to anticipate what we should concentrate on next. Perhaps I just like being systematic. How really, to design electrical points, without knowing the design? It may seem straightforward to some, but without knowing how big or where the kitchen island is, how to have lighting points? I can’t fault the ID either as he’s trying his best to manage the project as efficiently as he can, but the design phase should be carefully thought-through and agreed upon prior to work, then we can make changes to design later around problems or technical issues uncovered by construction. So stressful.

Anyhow.

Here are original pics:

Balcony:

5463816197_6bccc021c7.jpg

Hall:

5464415500_d87ea310a2.jpg

5464416910_7f489c7072.jpg

Kitchen:

5464415640_70367dc8c7.jpg

5463816883_c2d2af32f6.jpg

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Common Bathroom:

5464416280_cf4c96b1eb.jpg

Yard:

5464415958_0786c1d363.jpg

5464415870_f1338cced3.jpg

I hope everyone enjoys reading this "blog" as much as I'll enjoy documenting the renovation process. Share comments, suggestions, criticisms; have a laugh, be inspired, or simply ease boredom!

- Ely

Now on Day 10: Hacking is completed, air-conditioners installed (though rectification needs to be made – GAH! :curse: ), tiles have been chosen, plumbing and electrical outlets are being determined (intuitively I suppose..)

Things we’ve purchased – our bank accounts have never seen such activity! /cry

Hob: Electrolux 3 Gas Burner Hob

Hood: Bosch Stainless Steel Island Hood

Oven: Electrolux 52l built-in

Fridge: Panasonic Inverter 551

Washer: Electrolux Time Manager 8kg

Dryer: Electrolux Vented 7kg

Mattress: Dunlopillo Elizabeth King (w/ bedframe, 4 pillows, 2 protectors, 1 bolster)

Vacuum cleaner: Miele Anniversary Model w/ HEPA Filter

Handheld Vacuum: Dyson DC31

HTS: Wharfedale Diamond 10.6 floor standing speakers, 10CC front speaker, 10.0 back speakers / Velodyne CHT-8Q Subwoofer / Onkyo TX-SR608 Receiver

Aircon: Mitsubishi MXY-3A28VA Inverter - MSY-GE24VA & MSY-GE10VA + Mitsubishi MU-AD30VB Non-inverter - MS-AD30VB

Bathroom fixtures: Poh Joo 35x35cm Rainshower w/ RAF bath mixer + Shower Rose & union/bracket | Poh Joo Tennis shower head w/ vertical shower arm & mixer

Now just waiting on the IT Fair for TVs! Yay!

And sanitary ware. And furniture. And kitchen appliances. Gawd. :unsure:

@berry_surprise: Thanks! It's only a 2-bedder though, but it'll suffice even with the planning of a little one in the near future, and lots of pets! :P

It's trying to balance your desires with the wallet that is really the toughest part isn't it? Haha!

Edited by Ely1

Hi May,

Thanks for the warm welcome! It's 1,527sqft - but the apartments are so old, they don't have proper floorplans so we had to measure everything ourselves. Here's the best we could do:

5460370750_1f222863d8.jpg

Hi May,

Thanks for the warm welcome! It's 1,527sqft - but the apartments are so old, they don't have proper floorplans so we had to measure everything ourselves. Here's the best we could do:

5460370750_1f222863d8.jpg

2 bedrooms but super big floor area!! No need to hack any rooms to make mbr or living or kitchen bigger. I like!!

@May - Yes! I love the idea of an integrated walk-in-wardrobe and had always planned to hack down a room for it, but no need in this case. :)

We hacked the false partition the previous owner put up to create the long corridor to the bedrooms (but it leaves a column in the middle), all the planter boxes, the balcony railings and some of the wall dividing the wet/dry kitchen to replace with glass.

@May - Yes! I love the idea of an integrated walk-in-wardrobe and had always planned to hack down a room for it, but no need in this case. :)

We hacked the false partition the previous owner put up to create the long corridor to the bedrooms (but it leaves a column in the middle), all the planter boxes, the balcony railings and some of the wall dividing the wet/dry kitchen to replace with glass.

yes, i like that too. so i have to hack 2 walls so that my bedroom is big enough for walk in wardrobe + bed.

your reno costs will be quite high too, i think.

Had some astronomical quotations but went with the ID we felt gave us a fair price. Checked your t-blog, and it's lower than what you were quoted (>50k).

What I'm obsessed about finding out is those LED sensor illuminated mirrors! Where to find!

21.jpg

MilanoCloseUp.jpg

Had some astronomical quotations but went with the ID we felt gave us a fair price. Checked your t-blog, and it's lower than what you were quoted (>50k).

What I'm obsessed about finding out is those LED sensor illuminated mirrors! Where to find!

21.jpg

MilanoCloseUp.jpg

Oh.... that's good. for a bigger place like yours and yet less $$ to reno than mine!! hehehehehe... i can't wait to see the transformation.

sorry, can't help on the LED sensor.... maybe your ID will know?

hey i saw at SSC IMM, or one of the other shops near there. but not exactly the same design