Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
seamonkee

Small Electronic Shops Vs "the Big Boys"....

Was at one of the "Big Boys" electronic shops checking out stuff & got into a friendly chat w one of the salesperson... So I propped the "taboo" question of why many people will end up going to small electronic shops (E.g. P***k, E*****t, G** A** B**....) over the "big boys" (E.g. B**t D***, H*** N****, etc...) and is there a "catch" to it?

He told me that small electronic shops are able to sell at a cheaper price because they sell "export sets"... meaning if something goes wrong w the stuff u bought, the warranty will not be honoured by the service centres in Singapore...

I told him I thought small electronic shops are able to keep price down because they keep their operation small (E.g. 2 or 3 staff, no displays, etc)... but he was very firm in his answer that it's export items and warned me not to buy from such small electronic shops...

Asked another staff & he told me the same story...

I'm not starting a flaming war of which is better... but juz wanna know the truth... esp from those who hv bought fm such small electronic shops & found out their stuff are export sets or face problems when they can't get their faulty items being serviced in Singapore...

Is it so? :unsure:

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

i bought everything i needed from one of the small shops mentioned, and have no problem registering all the delivered products with the respective product agents.

small shops, virtually no overheads... big shops manned by many sales personals who needs to be paid. it's a no brainer who ends up paying them.

Me too.

I bought all electronic item at small neigbour shop.

No problem when I ask for after-sale service from product agent.

The only thing I can think of is big ticket can use CC and some even had 12 mth installement plan.

has Free gift, promotion etc

small shop, cash or ATM.

Why they are cheaper. Other than headcount , also advertising cost, display area cost , operating cost

That's what I thought so too... the lower price for small electronic shops is due to low overhead owing to no display + small crew....

I think the salespeople at the bigger shops are probably taught to respond w "export items" if they see customers yearning towards such small shops... :D

Juz thought I ask people here t share if they hv ever encountered issues of "export items" or hv problem registering them w the respective product agents when bought from such smaller shops...

That's what I thought so too... the lower price for small electronic shops is due to low overhead owing to no display + small crew....

I think the salespeople at the bigger shops are probably taught to respond w "export items" if they see customers yearning towards such small shops... :D

Juz thought I ask people here t share if they hv ever encountered issues of "export items" or hv problem registering them w the respective product agents when bought from such smaller shops...

good that you bring this up, at least now we know what the salesperson told you was not true~ ;)

Hi mind can intro me some small neighbourhood shops. I know only G**A**B***,so dun mind sharing some other small shops. Kindly pm me if talking about it here is a taboo.. Thanks alot

Hi everyone,

I'm interesting in finding out more small and cheap electronics shops.

Can you please PM me shops and addresses / contacts? Thanks you all very much!

Hi everyone,

I'm interesting in finding out more small and cheap electronics shops.

Can you please PM me shops and addresses / contacts? Thanks you all very much!

Why don't you post which area of the shop you're looking at. They are all over the island.

If the East I've bought from Bedok Centre Electrical diagonally across from Bedok Point.

I've bought from Megamall when they were at Katong Mall. Now they are at Kallang.

Edited by hAPPy889

Usually, I will see the papers or drop by the big boys electrical stores to see what I want and the best price or free gifts given.

Then will drop by the small boys store to ask for their best quote. They can beat the big boys in term of prices hands down. I rather get cheaper price than get those stupid gifts offered by big boys, which is almost useless or I already have it.

But i know some people (especially my wife) is sceptical of small boys shop, she went with me to 1 shop, she see aredy she was not impressed, no aircon, shop like so run down..then say no warranty blah2..

Its like eating in restaurant or kopi tiam/hawker centre, same ting but different price.

i have heard of small shops selling export only/ parallel import goods. Due to their nature, these products might not be covered by the local service centers.

What you can do is to ensure that there is some form of safety mark stamp on the appliance, which will mean that they are for local sales and will definitely be covered by local service centers. Just be careful when you buy!

Usually, I will see the papers or drop by the big boys electrical stores to see what I want and the best price or free gifts given.

Then will drop by the small boys store to ask for their best quote. They can beat the big boys in term of prices hands down. I rather get cheaper price than get those stupid gifts offered by big boys, which is almost useless or I already have it.

But i know some people (especially my wife) is sceptical of small boys shop, she went with me to 1 shop, she see aredy she was not impressed, no aircon, shop like so run down..then say no warranty blah2..

Its like eating in restaurant or kopi tiam/hawker centre, same ting but different price.

Actually it's the same thing but at different price. Unlike food, electrical items of the same brand and model won't differ whether you buy from the big boys or small shops.

If promotional items are given by the authorised distributor buyers at small shops would also get them.

i have heard of small shops selling export only/ parallel import goods. Due to their nature, these products might not be covered by the local service centers.

What you can do is to ensure that there is some form of safety mark stamp on the appliance, which will mean that they are for local sales and will definitely be covered by local service centers. Just be careful when you buy!

I haven't experienced this from the shops I bought from. The TVs, fridge and washing machines have been delivered by the ADs not the shops.

Do some homework as to which small shops are reliable and offer decent service.

Why don't you post which area of the shop you're looking at. They are all over the island.

If the East I've bought from Bedok Centre Electrical diagonally across from Bedok Point.

I've bought from Megamall when they were at Katong Mall. Now they are at Kallang.

hi happy!

oh u bought fm BCE at blk 214? wat are the items and r they cheaper...? i went there couple of months ago to enquire but disappointed not to find em competitive as compared to Mustafa Cte or G.Ah.Bee. jus to be fair - yes their prices definitely can fight those big boys like courts, etc. however i may decided never to step into this shop again cos they can be pushy. during my enquiries' session, was insistently asked at least 4 times to furnish em my address with his opened receipt book & pen readily to write on it. then there was also 'a fair bit of effort' by em to ask for 'a deposit' committment. dun feel at all comfortable but still for those satisfied customers, it's just my personal but truthful opinion :) no offences!

BUT come mega sales' time, those big guns can definitely throw out better pricing to 'thrash' all these small timers. so m i glad to know of such for courts currently...shall check it out tomorrow or day after and hopefully to fish up some great bargains!

also are there any news as to Gain City Expo Sales? i heard their coming pretty soon?

cheers!