Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
eudora

Home Away From Home

Hi all, we have been silent readers of the wonderful t-blogs for a long long time. As you can see, we joined renotalk in 2006 and had been looking forward to building our first home ever since!! FINALLY, it's our turn!! :D Hope to share our reno ideas/ups&downs through this blog! Welcome all suggestions!!

Keys collected: Jan 24 2011

HDB estate: Treelodge Punggol Premium 4 room

Our floorplan

40744_452755592286_797537286_5096947_269097_n.jpg

Edited by eudora

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Looking for ID/Contractor

List of ID/contractor we touched base with:

1) Design Profession – Kate. The FIRST ID both of us saw. Met her last year in Oct and we have a good impression on her. We find her honest and experienced. She was able to explain to us everything newbies

2) Mr Toh (can’t recall his company’s name) – The contractor/ID loittering at our blk. Both of us saw him and his show flats. Thought the price was v reasonable! Tempted to sign with him BUT decided to shop around somemore

3) Ideal House – Daniel. Ideal House have great reviews on renotalk. Daniel gave me many insights to the nitty gritty details of the home which WE/other designers left out. Upz! Quote is most expensive out of those we had met so far

4) Inside Living – Jun. Met her once in Oct, she emailed quote to BH. The price was reasonable! BUT thought other stuff were missing. I gave her a call and went down to the office to look for her. Ironed out some details and made changes. Hopefully revised quote will be MORE comprehensive with no hidden cost. BTW, electrical works are so ex! It was 2.5-3K according to her AND it was left out in the quote… no wonder quote was so cheap!

5) 3D innovation – Melvin. Contacted by him as we put our info. on renotalk. Can't seem to find any reviews.

6) ID note – Henry. Super recommended by Renotalk. However, there’s mixed reviews. He seem nice on the phone and told me to email him what I want to do and he will get back to me with the quote. Emailed on 20 May, received quote on May 22

7) IR design – Roy Tan. He had done a fellow treelodge’s home in April, looks nice on picture and have great reviews too! Called him on phone. Same case as Henry , told me to email him and he will get back to me with the quote. Emailed on 19 May – waiting.

8 ) 9 lives – called NO ANSWER. Emailed on 19 May – no response.

9) Contractor 1 - Friend's friend. I think he knows what he's doing. He is doing mainly carpentary work. He gave many good suggestions which I turned down due to budget! Met him May 26, waiting for quote

10) Contractor 2 - Friend's recommendataion. Seem flexible and easy going BUT he was answering phone calls ( 4X during our discussion) Met May 26, waiting for quote

------------

I will update on who I choose asap!! wish us luck!! :)

Renovation to be done

Our main intention is to do up the kitchen and the masterbed room toilet. Our flat didnt come with doors, we didnt get it with HDB because we thought we will custom mk it. oh well, now we regret.

Things to be done by other vendors:

1) Will get the electrican at lights store to do installation. ID quote me 2.5K for electrial wiring and installation!

2) 3 doors for bedroom + 2 Toilet doors. ID quoted $450-500 each door. Will source for other door contractors.

3) Air-con. We only want system 2 ( 1 air con in masterbed room and 1 common room) Will get aircon from gain city.

4) Ceiling fan. Because I will be installing ceiling fan, I will need to have false ceiling to mk lights for the living/dining area. Definitely not getting a fan with weird lights attached to it ( OK.. i might change my mind with the false ceiling .. I pray v hard that they have ok looking ceiling fans w lights need to go shopping soon!)

Things to be done by *chosen* ID/contractor:

Wet work

1. Construct a cement base for kitchen cabinet

2. Construct shower kerb

Plumbing

1. to re-run partial stainless steel pipe for kitchen

2. To supply labour to connect inlet & outlet pipes for kitchen sink

3. Install sink and water heater

Toilet at Masterbed room

1. To supply and install thick frameless glass shower screen

2. Build cabinet under sink to enclose pipe

3. Help install toilet accessories ( like mirror)

Kitchen Area

1. Fabricate and install kitchen cabinets with solid ply laminate

2. Fabricate and install sold surface worktop at kitchen cabinets

Master bedroom

1. Contruct wardrobe

Painting works

1. Supply labour to paint whole house

Edited by eudora

Purchased lights from Bright House Lightings last weekend. Here's what I selected

For living room: Amasco Ceiling fan with retractable blades and lights

When closed-

DSCF8675.JPG

When opened-

DSCF8680.JPG

How cool is that!!?? :D

For dining area - hanging light

DSCF8684.JPG

The rest of the home - something simple

DSCF8685.JPG

Bought my 3 bedroom doors from Yontat. After a long wait of 3 weeks, the doors are up! :)

For installing 3 doors, it took about 2.5hrs! It was messy and dusty… and it definitely dirtied my place which was already quite clean after my contractor ‘acid washed’ the flat. Anyway, the installer cleaned up the mess as best as he could and told me that 1 of the doors was of the wrong size and he need to resized it.. sianz… hate it when things didn’t get completed. Because door was resized, it was short of laminate.

After he left, I arranged for another appointment to get Yontat’s men to come in to paste the laminate (I was glad i don’t have to wait 3 more weeks!). Phew.. they came the next day. The workers were very friendly this time round…he kept asking me to check after he did the sandpaper and before he mount the door up again! wah.. impressed! just when i thought, they are doing a careful and fine job, 1 worker carried the door and gently hit against my hanging light….OUCH!!! Heng ah… nothing happened! I thought I cld have died of heart attack then!

Overall experience with YONTAT – SUPERB! Pls order doors early, waiting time is LONG! Doors very nice.. BUT i regretted not buying the solid doors… heh.. the hollow doors just don’t feel durable.

doors.jpg

I am just so glad that the renovation works is completed!!

Here's some pictures :)

completed.jpg

kitchen%252520with%252520solid%252520top%252520%2525281%252529.JPG

Master bedroom:

others.jpg

Very happy with the outcome - In my humble opinion, my contractor did a good job!

Edited by eudora