Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
Choomacher

Drawing Up Building Plans

Hi All, I am intending to rebuild my current single-storey intermediate terrace to 3 storey with a roof terrace. I know that this will be a reconstruction project.

I have an idea of how I want to plan the layout and configurations of my interior already and I also have a builder in mind. I still need to find someone to draw out my specifications to pass to the builder. Must i get an architect? I figure that I'm paying an architect primarily for his design. and since i already have something in mind, my main purpose is to get this down to drawing. Is there any cheaper alternatives to getting my design drawn?

A second question i have is regarding floor to floor height restriction inlanded houses. I read from the URA guides that the maximum floor height is first floor 4.5m and all other floors 3.6m. However the next paragraph says that variations to the floor to floor height is allowed if the overall height is not affected. May i know if this means i can build my third floor with a height of 4.2m if i reduce the height of the 2 lower floors?

THanks for any kind advise!

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Hi All, I am intending to rebuild my current single-storey intermediate terrace to 3 storey with a roof terrace. I know that this will be a reconstruction project.

I have an idea of how I want to plan the layout and configurations of my interior already and I also have a builder in mind. I still need to find someone to draw out my specifications to pass to the builder. Must i get an architect? I figure that I'm paying an architect primarily for his design. and since i already have something in mind, my main purpose is to get this down to drawing. Is there any cheaper alternatives to getting my design drawn?

A second question i have is regarding floor to floor height restriction inlanded houses. I read from the URA guides that the maximum floor height is first floor 4.5m and all other floors 3.6m. However the next paragraph says that variations to the floor to floor height is allowed if the overall height is not affected. May i know if this means i can build my third floor with a height of 4.2m if i reduce the height of the 2 lower floors?

THanks for any kind advise!

Hi Choomacher,

Congratulations to you. Does your builder offer you a design and build package? If yes, he would be able to help you (ie he could possibly outsource the design work to an architect)with the design and advise you on your plans. There are statutory requirements that you need to comply and you could not do as you like even if it is within your own land. If you are doing reconstruction, I think there are some limitations compared with erection. Hence, you may want to check it out with your builder first. Some inexperience builders go for reconstruction and did not comply with the limitations. In the end, they got into a lot of trouble and the project got delayed.

If your builder is inexperience and cannot do design work, it is better to either get an architect to help you or use the services of another builder.

On your second question. Yes, generally you can vary the height of your third floor and reduce the height of your first floor.