Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
kenjo

Of Grey, White And Neutral

Here are some pictures of our study room in progress.

As this room is much smaller than its original size, we decided to get the tables and shelves built-in to save the hassel of going round to look for suitable tables!

STUDY TABLE AND SHELVES

L-ShapedStudyTable.png

We still have a cork pin board under first shelf not done yet. Once it is done, a cloth will be used to cover it.

PIN BOARD MATERIAL

2012-09-27124912.jpg

This is very similar to what we have for our current study... just that the texture is slightly different.

MOVABLE CABINET

Cabinet.png

This cabinet is designed to be movable so that we could move it anywhere we want under our table. As we have to cater for the cable tray, the first drawer is not the same size as the rest of the drawers. It looks a little weird when moved out but I guess it should be ok since it would be under the table most of the time.

CABLE TRAY

CableTray.png

We were thinking of ways to manage the unsightly cables that might be on the floor... so we came up with this design. All the cables will run along this tray and up the table through the opening.

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

As the handover day draws nearer, we went over to our new place to have a thorough check.

Some defects on the carpentery work, especially on the TV top shelf were found.

CRACKED EDGE ON CABINET SLIDING DOOR

2012-10-02220610.jpg

DENTS ON TV CONSOLE TOP SHELF

2012-10-02220854.jpg

Just wanna check with you guys, is it a common thing for the laminates to be done on the visible areas only?

I found that the back area of my shelvings are left empty. For example, each of the shelf in my cabinet, when I took it out, only top, bottom, left n right are laminated, but not the back.

I also found some visible screwholes on the TV top shelf, like as though they put the screw in after the laminates were glued. Something like that...

2012-10-02215730.jpg

I called up the carpenter and he said he will take a look. Am glad that he said he will check through.

Any idea what can he will do to resolve these problems? Any experts to shed some light here?

Edited by kenjo

Am in the midst of doing my carpentry as well. For the shelves, it is true that the sides and back of shelvings is exposed and is not cover by laminates. Same case for me.

As for your TV area, my guess is that the visible screw holes may be used to bind the TV top shelf to the vertical support columns.

As we all know, shoes, handbags and clothes are a woman's best friend.

When the design plan was revealed to us, I was wondering where my or rather our shoes are to be placed as it was no where to be found on the plan.

We were open to using part of the bomb shelter to store our shoes but I am concerned that we will bring in alot of sand into the house, which will make cleaning worst for me.

Upon request, his uncle designed the following shoe cabinet, which was to be placed next to our main door and thought of a clever way to ensure our main door can open to its max.

SHOE CABINET

ShoeRack.png

As you can see, our shoe cabinet is a moveable one. There are hinges to attach the shoe cabinet onto the wall next to it so that when we need to move big items into our home, our main door can still be opened to its max! :dancingqueen:

Hi,love your idea for the customised shoe rack.(still can move around)steady la.i like that idea. :sport-smiley-003:

Able to pm me the price for it?

My door "opening" & layout is exactly the same as yours.

thought of asking your contractor to come over & do my "small project"

Very often they leave the holes like this, unless u tell them, then the squeeze some stuff to fill the holes. My contractor say will squeeze silicon inside. Then the last time when we bot a furniture fr a shop, they squeeze some brownish thing similar color to the laminate after we complain why like that. .

As the handover day draws nearer, we went over to our new place to have a thorough check.

2012-10-02220610.jpg

2012-10-02220854.jpg

Just wanna check with you guys, is it a common thing for the laminates to be done on the visible areas only?

I found that the back area of my shelvings are left empty. For example, each of the shelf in my cabinet, when I took it out, only top, bottom, left n right are laminated, but not the back.

I also found some visible screwholes on the TV top shelf, like as though they put the screw in after the laminates were glued. Something like that...

2012-10-02215730.jpg

I called up the carpenter and he said he will take a look. Am glad that he said he will check through.

Any idea what can he will do to resolve these problems? Any experts to shed some light here?

Very often they leave the holes like this, unless u tell them, then the squeeze some stuff to fill the holes. My contractor say will squeeze silicon inside. Then the last time when we bot a furniture fr a shop, they squeeze some brownish thing similar color to the laminate after we complain why like that. .

2012-10-02220610.jpg

2012-10-02220854.jpg

2012-10-02215730.jpg

Hi pressuntilshiok, thanks for your comments! But I also found 4 of them that are not on top of any vertical support columns. If they are, I probably will accept since they are found on top shelving which we cannot really see. But I am very glad that the carpenter uncle told me he will look through and rectify. Think he will just put some wood putty?

Am in the midst of doing my carpentry as well. For the shelves, it is true that the sides and back of shelvings is exposed and is not cover by laminates. Same case for me.

As for your TV area, my guess is that the visible screw holes may be used to bind the TV top shelf to the vertical support columns.

Hi venom, thanks for liking our shoe cabinet.

Will pm u his contact and $.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I tried to pm u but ur box is full.

Hi,love your idea for the customised shoe rack.(still can move around)steady la.i like that idea. :sport-smiley-003:

Able to pm me the price for it?

My door "opening" & layout is exactly the same as yours.

thought of asking your contractor to come over & do my "small project"

Edited by kenjo

Thanks originalbread!

But why would they do such thing? It is so unsightly. Who would buy the product if there are holes like that?

Anyways, for the carpentery works, shouldn't they join each piece together then put the laminates? I think I better check through one more time, especially the top shelvings.

I told myself, if I was a carpenter, I would think of each project as my own home... to do my best to make the best. But that's just me. hehehe

Not quite sure too. It could b harder to paste the laminates for inside after u fix the cabinet together. But strangely, I got the same carpenter who did kitchen cabinet for my mum's house last yr. Hers no such holes. This time I found such holes in the wardrobe. Must c carefully. Hehee, I think its always gd to have that type attitude, taking each piece of work as if its for urself.

Thanks originalbread!

But why would they do such thing? It is so unsightly. Who would buy the product if there are holes like that?

Anyways, for the carpentery works, shouldn't they join each piece together then put the laminates? I think I better check through one more time, especially the top shelvings.

I told myself, if I was a carpenter, I would think of each project as my own home... to do my best to make the best. But that's just me. hehehe

Then did u get ur carpenter to rectify? Since you guys used the carpenter b4, why not just ask him why it is done this way? Or maybe they could have "patched" the holes for your mum properly?

Not quite sure too. It could b harder to paste the laminates for inside after u fix the cabinet together. But strangely, I got the same carpenter who did kitchen cabinet for my mum's house last yr. Hers no such holes. This time I found such holes in the wardrobe. Must c carefully. Hehee, I think its always gd to have that type attitude, taking each piece of work as if its for urself.

Then did u get ur carpenter to rectify? Since you guys used the carpenter b4, why not just ask him why it is done this way? Or maybe they could have "patched" the holes for your mum properly?

He say will rectify, so should b fine. Yes, must ask him, cos I only double chk to find my mum ones no holes after asking him to rectify.

Hi venom, thanks for liking our shoe cabinet.

Will pm u his contact and $.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I tried to pm u but ur box is full.

hi,so sorry about that.

I have delete some of my inbox msg.

Dun mind can pm me again. kam sia :yamseng:

We finally got the storage rack in the bomb shelter installed. Love the way it looks!

2012-10-06103452.jpg

2012-10-06105751.jpg

2012-10-06105149.jpg

Installation was fast with only one man working at it. It is pricier than normal storage rack but I think it is worth it!