Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
bigbag

Half A Million Tag

2+ weeks ago, I was deliberating whether to start this T blog in a time zone 15hr behind Singapore. Now, it's time to start the ball rolling since I am sleepless in foreign land,munching on brownies.

Bear with me if you are reading, this T blog is mainly to document my reno experience & hunting process. There may not be too many photos of the actual unit, as, well, it's really troublesome (I am still trying to figure out) & ideas are actually still forming as we move along.

To set things right, we chose a main contractor based on popular reviews here & I only started browsing T blogs recently! It was a Just-do-it attitude that we engaged him, & quotes are largely pending. We decided on him as his hacking quote was the cheapest! To be fair, no mention of names until everything's settled. We chose him after meeting just 3 IDs (for the sake of quotes), 1 of which is K*. I nvr did get back to k*, but I must comment that his drawing is professional & use of space is ingenious (such that $ saved on overall goes into his pkt,so clever!).

We wasted 5 working days thereabout last week, as spouse decided to halt the process since I was not ard to finalize the tiles selection. Urgh! Theoretically, we need to shift by Mid November. Looking at other people's blog dates I am alil' pessimistic now :( I see people still blogging for 1 yr on.. Is it the norm??!

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Browsing through T Blogs etc inspires and drives us to do up a nice HOME (as we know it). We do not want a run-of-the-mill house that look like just another ID show flat. Of course, by writing, we also hope to gain some advice from the experienced & contribute too!

This is actually a 5-room HDB unit in the west. Layout is different from what we are used to: Overhead beams & 2 balconies now. The balconies actually set the stage for the design of the entire unit. We've decided to keep our balconies (Main & backyard) as they are & not increase other areas e.g.living/kitchen by hacking. But we've done our fair bit of hacking, e.g.incorporating a wet/dry kitchen,merging 2 rooms into 1 & relocating the store.

So far the main works done have been Hacking, electrical (partial), and smoothing/erecting of walls are in the process. Below is the hacking process, note the giant axe!

piling-1.jpg

hack.jpg

I kindda like the craftstone wall & industrial look but spouse doesn't really like it, so we have to compromise here since it's a family thing. Subway tiles will be the main inspiration for my backyard area as a starting point!

subwayblue-1.jpg

Edited by bigbag

honeycombHollister-1.jpg

Love this! Can only find a similar (but smaller) version here! Took this photo in a fitting room overseas :P Will incorporate it in a tiny area of our house :)

Next up will be our Toilet Bowl/ WC search! & we bought our first P-type toilet-bowl @ $360 (Geberit flush, soft-close urea seat). Our 1st 'accessory' purchase.

Edited by bigbag

Browsing through T Blogs etc inspires and drives us to do up a nice HOME (as we know it). We do not want a run-of-the-mill house that look like just another ID show flat. Of course, by writing, we also hope to contribute & @ the same time, gain some advice fr.the experienced!

This is actually a 5-room HDB unit in the west. Layout is different from what we are used to: Overhead beams & 2 balconies now. The balconies actually set the stage for the design of the entire unit. We've decided to keep our balconies (Main & backyard) as they are & not increase other areas e.g.living/kitchen by hacking. But we've done our fair bit of hacking, e.g.incorporating a wet/dry kitchen,merging 2 rooms into 1 & relocating the store.

So far the main works done have been Hacking, electrical (partial), and smoothing/erecting of walls are in the process. Below is the hacking process, note the giant axe!

piling-1.jpg

hack.jpg

I kindda like the craftstone wall & industrial look but spouse doesn't really like it, so we have to compromise here since it's a family thing. Subway tiles will be the main inspiration for my backyard area as a starting point!

subwayblue-1.jpg

Nice blue tiles u have there :notti: I'm actually targeting to move in end of Nov and have already started my reno a month ago. I think u should still be able to manage mid Nov if your ID manage all schedules well. Another thing will be you just have to make decisions fast e.g. carpentry design, tiles...... Good Luck :good:

Thanks Centrino2! Have selected our tiles. The subway tiles will be black & white though. Want something vintage retro chic. Carpentry still pending.

We met main con today for discussion & the Windows arrived too, much to our surprise as we were not notified earlier. It's the standard stark white powder-coat type, as opposed to what I was initially considering, Aluminum/silver or other paint colours. I had to convey to installers again later that my windows grilles should be flushed in with the wall. We actually dismantled all the existing dark brown HDB windows such that we can choose our preferred colour and have the grilles frame 'flushed in' with the walls (No protuding grilles case). They installed the window frames first & had to reposition it, luckily it was easily fixed due to early communication!

On WCs, some designs we like:

ArinoWCasseeninPohJoo.jpg

Heritage-Magnum1030WCwechose-commontoilet.jpg

Heritage-IXISSWC350NoGeberitflush.jpg

Factors determining choice were (in random order): Design, Dimensions, brand, P or S type(Pte vs.HDB), price, Flush system, type/shape of seat etc. Initially we decided on a rectangular seat shape, but realised later it is not very user-friendly for small kids as it's a little too broad.

Found a store with great service and v.reasonable price quote in Geylang! They shall be our preferred choice for final purchases!

Hi Strikingreality & renoseeker,

Thanks for dropping by! My floorplan as follows!

Floorplan.jpg

Anyone knows wallpaper installers? I am eyeing Cole & Son wallpaper, wondering if it will look good..

I wanna try different concepts/themes for different areas so that I won't get bored! haha (underlying colour tone will be abt the same though). Lotsa renovation work to be done as previous owners did not even do any tiling to the floor, everything is as it is from HDB, flintstone age. Windows & grilles fitting will cost us a bomb since there are lotsa windows ard!

& I love your Acctim clock, SR! I am eyeing Flip clocks this time round. I have a nautical-themed clock, wondering where to put it though :(

Edited by bigbag

hello bigbag, can i see photo of your new windows? how much will that cost? :) thanks so much

Hi starbux, my windows are still not fully up yet,the guys came & install some of the frames & windows & left on that 1st day.It halted as there were some errors with the windows (miscommunications).

Apparently they were back already to put up the rest of the windows (but I am away). Attach pic here of what was done then.I wanted the windows to sit further out alittle so that my grilles (when done) will flush in w the wall.

My main con only gave me an estimated price on the windows *keeping my fingers crossed on final*. I did actually meet up with Alex (recc.by many others here),but eventually decided to let my main con do the coordination works,mainly out of convenience (as his guy will be in charge of touching up) & his price seemed reasonable.

windows.jpg

My progress update:

Week 1 (2-3days): Hacking & clearing debris (Chop chop done!)

Week 2 : SLOWWWW..Reno halted.Tiles reconfirmation.

Week 3 : Rewiring (2days) starts (not completed), New walls erection/ lintels up

Week 4 : Tiling starts (FINALLY!) of backyard, toilets..1st walls,then floors

Week 5 : Tiling of kitchen & Living room starts!

Week 6 (NOW): EXPECTING Plumber to step in run piping..etc.

May I know how many people usually do the wall reconstructions/ Tiling works? 1, 2 or a group??

What are the things to note when running piping?? *hmm*

We did a recce on tiles at Hafary, Lian Seng Hin, Hup Kiong (all in a stretch!), & Soon Bee Huat & selected our PRC & Spain made tiles.

We checked out sanitary wares at Hupfarri, Poh Joo, Heritage, Universal Union, Grohe @Interior Affairs (awesome place to browse), Hansgrohe @Mohamed Sultan. The hunt was fun as we gained much along the way. Good to discover hidden gems in Singapore, of food, of things. Finally knew what Jalan Besar is all abt!

At this point in writing, our Toilet articles were already paid for & delivered: Wash basins, short & tall taps, shower mixer sets & WCs.

We were wondering btw Parquet or Laminate for the bedrooms, decided on Myanmar Parquet to get that solid feel of wood. However, just 2days ago, we decided to give Laminate a 2nd chance (our first experience was with Supreme) & go with our heart for PERGO laminate. Truly Scandinavian made.

As for kitchen wares, we are still wondering which hood & hob to get. Anyone can advise?

We are considering:

• Fujioh slim hoods for the functionality but were against the design. Rinnai has a similar type but I wonder abt its efficacy.
    fujioh.jpg
  • Rinnai made-in-Japan inner flame models, but abit concerned if food will get into the holes where the fire spouts.
    Rinnaihob1.jpg
  • I like SMEG freestanding cooker but 5 burners are way too much.
    smeg_cooker_a1-6.jpg

I prefer 4 burners (2 large) with reasonable space-out, side knobs & glass surface. I like glass surface,easy to maintain! Nowadays it's hard to find side knobs. Anyone can share pictures of their hoods & hobs?

How abt built-in ovens under cooker hoods? Not so into ovens, but wld like to get one to start baking soon!

My progress update:

Week 1 (2-3days): Hacking & clearing debris (Chop chop done!)

Week 2 : SLOWWWW..Reno halted.Tiles reconfirmation.

Week 3 : Rewiring (2days) starts (not completed), New walls erection/ lintels up

Week 4 : Tiling starts (FINALLY!) of backyard, toilets..1st walls,then floors

Week 5 : Tiling of kitchen & Living room starts!

Week 6 (NOW): EXPECTING Plumber to step in run piping..etc.

May I know how many people usually do the wall reconstructions/ Tiling works? 1, 2 or a group??

What are the things to note when running piping?? *hmm*

Hm...did your ID / contractor give you an estimated completion date?

Seems a little slow to me. Usually the piping and tiling can do together. In fact, its probably easier to put wall tiles together with piping, I think?

Your carpentry measurements should start soon. Good luck!