Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
beemer75

Help : Redevelopment Of 1 Half Of Semi-D

Hi Lauer,

Imagine my current half of the building is a box with a car porch, back setback of 2m, front setback of at 2m and side setback (inclusive of garden) of ard 5-6m. We hope to extend it side way to "a bigger box" by occupying 3-4m of the graden (and add another storey) so that it can be sub-divided into 2 units of 3 stories; we wont seperate from neighbour since tt wld change the whole structure into Terrace House. We are likely to recentralised the gate and rebuild 2 car porch.

Your house currently have a 2m front setback only, while yr side setback is 5-6m? BTW, is yr driveway is directly abutting your semi D neighbour?

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Thank you all for your comments. Yes we intend to create 2 units to house my brother's and my family.

@ leechaorui, wat is meant by 2 key house?

We want to hv our own privacy, though we are ok to share one common address so as not to "downgrade" neighbour's semi-D status to terrace. The building structure will be divided; as for the external space/garden, we are considering a low wall (maybe just 1m high) just for symbolic segregation.

Our current semi-D is 2 storey and of cos we will hv to build upwards to 3 stories to accomodate our families. I know the final output may look hidious - a bigger, 3 storey "semi-d" with a more modern design attached to a 2 storey dated design semi-D. my mum wld really like to hv the 2 families live on a piece of land we hv owned for over 30 years. Will certainly speak to a builder/architect but thought of doing some ground work here.

@ Lauer, do you know if URA and BCA wld approve an "internally-divided-into-2-units" within one half of a semi-D? which I see as a way to circumvent the URA guidelines on redeveopment on semi-D.

It is call a dual key system. Check it out in google and you will notice that some condominiums sell dual key units. It means that there is a common main door/ main gate but each individual unit has its own kitchen, toilet, living, dinning and bedrooms. I think the architect can be creative enough to do it such that there is no need to be an equal split between the 2 units and it could be a case where one unit occupies more of the second floor and another unit occupies more of the third floor with the ground floor split between the two families.

There could be internal doors to open and access the two units internally. If you wish for more absolute privacy, just locked your side of the door. Remember those hotel rooms where there were two rooms with a common access to each other? I don't think URA/ BCA bothers about your internal design.

The setback for such a dual key household are usually poorer space utilisation, needs two sets of staircase, etc.. Not everything can be completely private between the two families - common foyer unless your house is very big, need to split utilities bill, common water tank, etc...

Get hold of an architect to advise you.