Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
petetherock

An Audiophile's Mid Century Home

Thanks, I have ordered stuff from them before, but I think Amazon has a bigger selection, so I will check both out...

Oh and I just got this from amazon:

31-Ifd2wjcL._AA300_.jpg

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

If you missed this sale, Lush still has a sale on, although the selection is more limited and the discount are less.

However if anyone is thinking of getting the Eames Lounge Chair, it is very important that you try it. The build quality and the angle of the back rest is pretty variable, so Caveat Emptor...

Btw, thanks for your detailed write up on setting up a sound system at home. Greatly appreciated. I do love a good sound system and will head down to adelphi to get some good stuff. ;)

If you are not big on audio, spend on one good set, and you won't feel the need to upgrade for a while.. Otherwise you may lose more money when you feel the sound isn't good enough.

I should be getting my large screen TV soon, pm me if you are keen to audition a 11 channel surround system..

FYI friends..

If anyone is into the "retro" styling for their homes, and wishes to get Eames, Sean Dixon, Hans Wenger etc, these are your options:

- you can go original, which will be pretty good, but costly

- you can get original, but old pieces, just make sure they are not rotten

- you can get replicas which will be much cheaper (like 1/4 or less)

If you go for replicas, do note that there is a wide variety of them, and many places to buy, such as OM, Lush, Logans', Summer, Gnee Hong, Picket Rail etc.

The quality truly varies, and you need to see, touch and sit on them. This is especially true of the chairs, as the angle of the backrest, the texture of the wood, and even the finish varies a lot.

So you do sometimes get what you pay for.

Caveat Emptor.

FYI friends..

If anyone is into the "retro" styling for their homes, and wishes to get Eames, Sean Dixon, Hans Wenger etc, these are your options:

- you can go original, which will be pretty good, but costly

- you can get original, but old pieces, just make sure they are not rotten

- you can get replicas which will be much cheaper (like 1/4 or less)

If you go for replicas, do note that there is a wide variety of them, and many places to buy, such as OM, Lush, Logans', Summer, Gnee Hong, Picket Rail etc.

The quality truly varies, and you need to see, touch and sit on them. This is especially true of the chairs, as the angle of the backrest, the texture of the wood, and even the finish varies a lot.

So you do sometimes get what you pay for.

Caveat Emptor.

I totally agreed... For example, Eames lounge chair. I tried OM and feel the angle of backrest is not suitable for me. But when I tried Lush, shiok! I can fall asleep in it.... :dribble:

Another example, Emas Moulded Plastic armchair. I tried OM, Logans, comfort design & Lush and there is no special feeling... But when I tried Picket Rail, it feel solid! Plastic surface is different too. chair more stable and much heavier.... :dribble:

There are some bargains, if you need some pots and pans. I bought some WMF stuff, Bodum cups, and knives. Plus a few air tight containers.

Someone asked me about cables and such...

Locally you can look for LhS at Sim Lim Tower. For short HDMI cable runs, the brand is less important. But when you use longer than 6-8m get a better one and test it first before you install it in your false ceiling.

The key issue is not so much better output, but less signal degradation with better cables over long distances.

As for what I use, it's in the front page ...But unless it's your hobby, you may not want to spend as much...

Or here:

http://peteswrite.blogspot.com/2011/12/my-gear-12-2011.html

Edited by petetherock