Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
petetherock

An Audiophile's Mid Century Home

Had some friends over the weekend, and one of them is currently undergoing reno too, so I thought it may be pertinent to share my thoughts about his job here.

If you want to do acoustic treatment, start early, and get your ID, contractor, ceiling man involved. Also make sure the ceiling guy talks to the electric guy. Otherwise it will get messy, with unnecessary cutting of holes to find cables etc.

It is better to get the basic frame work right the first time than to add pads and foam later. It looks better that way too. Not everyone will have this privilege, so if you are planning extensive reno, make the treatment integral to your plans.

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Hi, for your Kotuku fan, how high is your ceiling where you install it? Did you get the model with longer or shorter vertical rod?

3m ceiling, 25cm rod.

You will need to decide if it can be longer, but you will also see if you are adding things like a ceiling projector, then you can't have too long a stem...

Talk to your fan installer on this. HDB flats tend to be lower, and you need to sort out things like shadows casts etc.

3m ceiling, 25cm rod.

You will need to decide if it can be longer, but you will also see if you are adding things like a ceiling projector, then you can't have too long a stem...

Talk to your fan installer on this. HDB flats tend to be lower, and you need to sort out things like shadows casts etc.

Thanks. Mine is 2.75m high. With a false ceiling, will be around 2.6m, which is too low for the 40cm rod, and have to get the 25cm model. Do you feel the breeze say if you are 2 metres away from the edge of the blade? I try to plan for the best position to install the fan.

So far the only guideline I found for the downlights is the distance from the edge of the fan blade has to be at least 1.5x of the rod length, which is about 37.5cm in this case, but I will plan at least 40cm or further apart just to be sure.

Greetings.

Need advice here. I just bought a 55" TV and a 3 seater recliner of straight configuration that measures 2.9m in lenght (3 seats aligned in a straight row). Recliner will be located around 3.3m from the TV. Kind of regretted my purchase of this recliner. Since the length of TV is shorter than the recliner, only the centre seat will have the most comfortable view whereas the left and right end of the recliner will be slightly uncomfortable since the viewer has to tilt his/her head to view the centre of the TV.

Unfortunately, the store which i bought the recliner doesn't have a 3 seater recliner in curved configuration and the sales person told me I have to forfeit 25% of cost of the recliner if i choose to cancel my purchase order.

I guess Im going to stick with my original purchase order. any possible remediation for me ?

At your distance, you can easily accommodate a 60 or 65" TV. But unless you have a lot of guest, one sweet spot and two adjacent ones are not too bad.

Or upsize the TV and get a larger one, or get a projector for an even bigger view.

Hi Pete,

Need your kind pro advice.

I'm intend to do up a Media room and one of the wall in the room will be hacked down which build in place is a wooden partition wall. The purpose is so that I can mount the TV on the wooden wall and it can be rotated 360 to face my living room. But the HTS will be inside the room and most of the time i will watch the TV inside the Media room.

I worry that if i do it this way, the sound can be easily hear from outside the room. Is that any way i can reduce the sound if I do it this way?

Sorry for the lengthy stupid question, i'm know nothing audio so hope that an expert like yourself can advice me. :rolleyes: TIA

If there is a gap, and you don't have solid structures, I doubt if you can achieve this...

You can consider minimising it with those felt things you can stick into the gaps of the doors. Plus some sound absorbing curtains, may also help.

If there is a gap, and you don't have solid structures, I doubt if you can achieve this...

You can consider minimising it with those felt things you can stick into the gaps of the doors. Plus some sound absorbing curtains, may also help.

Thank you so much Pete for the kind reply. You are really helpful :rolleyes:

May i ask what are the "things" that i can stick into the gaps and where i can get those sound absorbing curtain?

Sorry for my ignorance. :unsure:

Thanks, I got it in red, green and orange. There is a ticking sound if you place your ear next to it, but it's fine, even for my home theatre.

They really do a good job of protecting it and the material feels pretty solid.