Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
edenstrauss

Where I Picked Up My Gardening Skills & Bought My Supplies From ...

Orchids:

Orchids are classical favourites among many plant hobbyists, including myself. However, I would classify myself under the appreciation category rather than an expert in grooming orchids.

I've never tried my hands on any orchids even though I love their flowers which is a national flower of Singapore.

I was also surprised to learn from gardeners that a huge variety of orchids were found in countries such as Taiwan.

The challenge about orchid plants is that they require sunlight for flowers to bloom. However, too much of it would scorch the flowers & shorten their lifespan on the stem.

The latest observation I've had over orchid plants in many nurseries is that I noticed that many of the plants had black spots found on their leaves & stems. This was something that I haven't seen on many orchids of the past.

Although I am uncertain what that might be, but I had the impression that they were probabbly related to fungus.

Edited by edenstrauss

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

These are an assortment of orchids which are found at the Environ-Scape nursery @ Kovan.

Some were commonly found species which were typically found at the corridoors of flats & private gardens.

There are also species which were labelled as exotic variations which were found in the wild & were classified as outdoor plants which require a fair amount of sunlight for blooming of orchids.

Here comes what I would classify as an exotic breed of orchids because it isn't commonly found:

6574025165_4f7c60cfe6.jpg

Edited by edenstrauss

This is another breed of orchid which is supposed to give off a nice fragrance & does well in getting attached to dried "moss" as you could see from the photograph:

6574031661_1579b7f2f1.jpg

I was told that attaching such "creeper" orchids to wood isn't an good option as wood is subject to rotting after some time. As such, the Environ-Scape nursery carries a proper substitute that looked like some hardened version of compressed blackish-brown "moss".

Edited by edenstrauss

The commonly found orchid specimens are shown in these successive posts but even then, these are subject to availability @ the nursery.

This is supposedly a "hardy" version of orchids when it is cut off from the plant & placed in a vase. I've bought them from Freeman Florist @ Whitesands mall but didn't find them longer lasting even though I added flower food.

6574025177_e80fce84a4.jpg

Edited by edenstrauss

These multiple sprays of red orchids are absolutely beautiful & even more so when you set your eyes on them in person! They do remind me of pretty red blossoms found in chinese paintings.

6574025185_2b7b0ea5c5.jpg

Edited by edenstrauss

This breed of orchids is one of my favourites! Aren't they beautiful? :)

6574031643_1b369c28d8.jpg

My mother inlaw calls it the "Tiao-Boo-Hueh" which meant Dancing Flowers in the Hokkien dialect. She claimed that it was found to be growing rampantly during the old kampong days.

However, I didn't find this breed of orchids a common sight in the heartland homes.

Edited by edenstrauss

Hi folks,

I would like to share here in this thread that my latest acquisition is ijo's organic worm castings which had been made into worm tea for the purpose of watering my plants.

6774113725_a1c3423dea.jpg6774599003_d4d5b447a5.jpg

I'm a little late to reply, but I found an incredible place to get great plants, including a large range of Orchids. Hua Hng World Farm just beside Khatib Camp is about 20 times the size of any of the Thompson nurseries, half as cheap and has a gazillion times more variety of plants, pots, fertilisers, potting medium, pesticides...etc. They also have an online store that will deliver to your doorstep.

On 1/2/2012 at 2:23 PM, edenstrauss said:

Orchids:

Orchids are classical favourites among many plant hobbyists, including myself. However, I would classify myself under the appreciation category rather than an expert in grooming orchids.

I've never tried my hands on any orchids even though I love their flowers which is a national flower of Singapore.

I was also surprised to learn from gardeners that a huge variety of orchids were found in countries such as Taiwan.

The challenge about orchid plants is that they require sunlight for flowers to bloom. However, too much of it would scorch the flowers & shorten their lifespan on the stem.

The latest observation I've had over orchid plants in many nurseries is that I noticed that many of the plants had black spots found on their leaves & stems. This was something that I haven't seen on many orchids of the past.

Although I am uncertain what that might be, but I had the impression that they were probabbly related to fungus.