Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
tristesse

Mansionette Owner

Hi, I'm mrs-V and this is my first entry in this forum. Before today, I had no clue maisonettes were so popular! I was initially against a double storey flat given that I have young kids, but we just bought a unit in Clementi - anyone here also owns a unit there? Our first appt is in Jul and keys handover 1 Oct.. So now i'm sourcing for design, ideas, contractor.. I do find it abit of a challenge to keep costs within boundaries.. but what I'm hearing and reading is that $50k is reasonable for an overhaul.

This is what we will be doing :

1. changing orientation of maid's room (involves hacking and creating new door entrance)

2. creating built-in shoe cabinet and bench at entrance

3. changing windows and grilles (3 bedrooms + kitchen + dining + balcony)

4. changing all doors (bedroom doors

5. install sliding door for kitchen entrance

6. overhaul toilets (3 toilets)

7. overhaul kitchen

8. change all floor tiles (living - marble, bedroom - parquet)

9. installing folding doors in living hall (opens to balcony)

10. build in cabinets for bedrooms

11. false ceiling for lights

12. redoing the staircase railings

13. re-wiring/ plumbing

I need to make sure that the reno is completed within 2 mths - anyone can give inputs on whether this can be done?

thank you....

Welcome.

U have got quite a few major stuffs in your list and 50k might be tight for your case.

I'm getting an ave 25k+/- for item 3, 5, 6, 7. Try to get more quotations for comparison.

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

thanks for replying, chronograph.

my question is - is it too early to engage contractor given that i'm not done with design of flat? what actually happens in the 1st call w contractor? he would want to see my floor plan n pics of house perhaps? I hve those.. but i haven't really come up with kitchen and common bedroom designs - can contractor help to give ideas ..?

my first time engaging a contractor, and my first HDB purchase..

all is new to me..

thanks for replying, chronograph.

my question is - is it too early to engage contractor given that i'm not done with design of flat? what actually happens in the 1st call w contractor? he would want to see my floor plan n pics of house perhaps? I hve those.. but i haven't really come up with kitchen and common bedroom designs - can contractor help to give ideas ..?

my first time engaging a contractor, and my first HDB purchase..

all is new to me..

It is never too early. I started sourcing even before my first appt with HDB, i think it was somewhere in march 08. Thus far, gotten > 10 quotations, the negative side is mobile bill up, petrol up plus the time spent meeting them. I'm meeting one more this Sunday. :notti:

Why do u have to crack your brain for the design? If u have, you can discuss with the contractor/Id. Otherwise, tell them you theme and let them work for the $$$. Most will discuss with you their ideas and some might give u 2/3 d visual to better enhance their chances of getting the deal. But the last decision lies in u.

OK, this is how it goes. Approach any contractor/id (source yourself, recommendation), give them your floor plan(they need it to give u a quotation), tell them what you want/your theme/your design/your budget and duration. Bargaining is the part of the process, u must BARGAIN. Once you have the key to your EM, get those shortlisted contractor/Id to inspect the site(actual measurement should be taken) to give a more accurate quote. You need to inspect their work as well, workmanships very important.

A lot of work coming yo... :notti:

Edited by chronograph

ok - i know alot of work coming.. i've got recommendation from 2 friends. will check with them on quotation based on pics + floor plan - if need we go down to the hse - because sellers still living there, wont be very convenient to keep bringing contractor after contractor there right?? I have picked on the brains of a friend - I met him on another reno forum and he has given me very good designs.. except still pending kitchen n rooms.. but i've seen many good designs here.. so that's great!! I prefer to engage those with experience doing up mais...

Hi, This is my first time here

Bought an EM at Jurong West Blk 558

Valuation 318K and COV 30K = $348K in all and 1% agent commission.

Is that Cheap?

Looking for a contractor now. Any reccomendations, pls let me know.

Heard it cost a lot to renovate an EM

I basically have to REDO everything cos its in "Not nice" condition.

Thanks Thanks

Hi, This is my first time here

Bought an EM at Jurong West Blk 558

Valuation 318K and COV 30K = $348K in all and 1% agent commission.

Is that Cheap?

Looking for a contractor now. Any reccomendations, pls let me know.

Heard it cost a lot to renovate an EM

I basically have to REDO everything cos its in "Not nice" condition.

Thanks Thanks

Welcome, i'm at 471.

When did u buy? Before or after the Jurong Lake development?

Edited by chronograph

Hi Hi,I wanted to buy around blk 471 too. But husband says that the traffic lights there too many...

I bought after the Jurong Lake development

Just sign the option to exercise 2 days ago.

Is the price reasonable?

I thought it was quite reasonable for 150sqm and undergoing lift upgrading.... :P

Hi Hi,I wanted to buy around blk 471 too. But husband says that the traffic lights there too many...

Is the price reasonable?

I thought it was quite reasonable for 150sqm and undergoing lift upgrading.... :P

Is the price reasonable?

Is the price reasonable?

good price....most of us who bought jurong east/west pay above $400k

Hi Virgo,

Oh, I did some research too

U bought a Jurong East EM?

I was aiming one at blk 410 , but it was sold after I called

Owner wanted 45K COV but I managed to get it at 30K COV.

Basically, there are parks and bbq facilitites just beside my blk and there is an EC development just a few blks away in the same EM estate.

Am glad to find so many Jurong EM owners here.

Looking forward to sharing of ideas...

Wow, the valuation so high man

Btw, some posted Collin from prestige image as a good ID.

Any reccomendations abt him cos although the company seems to have a bad image?

sofian94, I just bought a mais at Wdls Ring Rd too. Which blk are you staying? So far, I have met 4 contractors, all recommended by family and friends, I got them to come to my place on 1 day and now waiting for all the quotations. Then, just realised my next door-->a contractor too~ The auntie came over to say hello and showed me her kitchen. Probably will get them to give me a quote too. Neighbour mah, you know, very likely will give a better range of product and if got defect, just walk over and tell her. :)

sofian94, I just bought a mais at Wdls Ring Rd too. Which blk are you staying? So far, I have met 4 contractors, all recommended by family and friends, I got them to come to my place on 1 day and now waiting for all the quotations. Then, just realised my next door-->a contractor too~ The auntie came over to say hello and showed me her kitchen. Probably will get them to give me a quote too. Neighbour mah, you know, very likely will give a better range of product and if got defect, just walk over and tell her. :)

hi there.. my unit is at blk 637. i'm also looking ard for the best quotation.. so far one contractor quote me 59k!! can u pm me ur contractors or maybe ur new neighbour too??