Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
macquekers

Mattress Recommendation

Hi Everyone,

Kinda new to this forum, so not too sure if this is the right sub-section to post or not.

But anyway, I need some mattress recommendation. In summary, I am a huge guy, 182cm and 120kg, so I was wondering what mattresses would give me a good night's sleep. Budget is $3000 or so.

Some history, previously been sleeping on cheap mattress which are common in SG and my first real bed was a cheap spring bed from Ikea which didn't last long and gave me backaches because the bed became too soft coz the springs lost its tension due to wear and tear i suppose.

Second bed was a queen sized Visco-Elastic Memory Foam mattress (Maxcoil) as recommend by a particular shop at furniture mall. Initially was fine, but after a 2 or 3 months, the backaches came back again. A talk with my friend (who is quite big as well) said this kind of mattress is not suitable for us fat people because it can't take out weight and we will literally 'sink' into the mattress. True enough, after almost 2 years of sleeping, i wake up everyday with backaches and shoulder aches. The shoulder aches are really terrible and sometimes i can't even move my neck. Not to mention that the stupid cheapo frame makes a terrible squeek or creeking sound every time i toss or turn.

Anyway, I decided to make another change and hope I can get some advise from anyone here. Esp. those who are big built (or fat) like me. What kind of mattress do you guys use? Sealy? Simmons? or?

Thanks everyone for reading. :)

• Like 1

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Hi Mac,

I know I am too late in getting up to your query. I hope you are now enjoying with your new mattress. It would be great if you can give details about the new one you have finally purchased.

If you are suffering from back soreness, I would suggest you to get a memory foam mattress which have unique features of supporting the body and get to relive form the body ache.

Well it must be always kept in mind that the heavier a person, the firmer the mattress has to be to provide adequate support.

If still you are in the same dilemma of which mattress to consider, I would suggest you considering a Queen Size Medi-Coil Permatuft Plush with Latex to replace your old mattress.Even you can go for the Medi-Coil Permatuft and Cameo...they are designed for heavier weight.

My honest suggestion is not to go for "Simmons Beautyrest Platinum" or other older models.

These models being sold by "Sleep Savvy / Ackerman".

I bought "Beautyrest Platinum" recently from "sleep savvy". Definitely it is not worth money I spent.

Sales executive told it is Medium Firm and very good for the persons having Back problems. But, in my case it is reverse.

Once we started sleeping on this new mattress, first impression was it is very hard. Everyday morning , when I get up, I was feeling severe back-ache.

That time my wife was ignoring my complaints. After few days she also started complaining/feeling the same. So, we decided not to sleep on this :bangwall: .

Moral of the story : Don't run behind the Famous Brands. Check the mattress thoroughly by trying different models and lying more time on the mattress.

This is my real experience.

Hope , this helps.

i am also looking for a mattress. I have similar built as Mac too...

Went to try @ Serta today... tried the diamond suite (hotel collection) and ruby suite... one is soft and one is hard... so not sure which I should choose and the sales person also not very convincing...

wonder how too....

Maybe you can consider latex mattress, i personally like it very much. very comfortable. i remembered ibenma have 20% off for their super single and queen size 100% belgium latex mattress.I bought one before with my bunk bed. they have all certified documents inclusive B/L from Belgium. you'd better check them before you buy. their website www.ibenma.com.sg.

just purchased Dunlopillo yesterday at Marina Sq show room.

The model is Garia - at $1750 with two pillow and mattress protector.

We like this vs the Somerset ($1300) cos it does not disturb the other people when one moves.

Also it is firm enough for us...

We have been shopping for months... tried many many mattress..

Englander ( can consider)

Maxcoil (dun buy - cos it is an Indonesia brand)

Seally,(too ex)

Tempur (full foam - hot- too soft)

At end of the day - you will narrow down to what you really are looking for...

for us - cannot feel the movement - firm enough (but not hard) - budget (not above $2K)

For our backs also - since we are getting advance in age..

just remember

regardless of where you buy the mattress from, it can be bargained!

just purchased Dunlopillo yesterday at Marina Sq show room.

The model is Garia - at $1750 with two pillow and mattress protector.

We like this vs the Somerset ($1300) cos it does not disturb the other people when one moves.

Also it is firm enough for us...

We have been shopping for months... tried many many mattress..

Englander ( can consider)

Maxcoil (dun buy - cos it is an Indonesia brand)

Seally,(too ex)

Tempur (full foam - hot- too soft)

At end of the day - you will narrow down to what you really are looking for...

for us - cannot feel the movement - firm enough (but not hard) - budget (not above $2K)

For our backs also - since we are getting advance in age..

maxcoil made in indonesia? i heard that it's made in singapore leh