Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios

Hi, need to seek the regulars' expert opinion. My new house is a double storey terrace about 20 yrs old & we're considering if we should rewire the entire house, since we're doing extensive renovation before moving in.

We do have a tight timeline & we're not upgrading to phase 3 electrical. Isit a must, good to have, or don't need to spend money, for the rewiring?

Most appreciate sharing your experience or views here. Thanks!

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Hi, need to seek the regulars' expert opinion. My new house is a double storey terrace about 20 yrs old & we're considering if we should rewire the entire house, since we're doing extensive renovation before moving in.

We do have a tight timeline & we're not upgrading to phase 3 electrical. Isit a must, good to have, or don't need to spend money, for the rewiring?

Most appreciate sharing your experience or views here. Thanks!

For old houses, best to rewire and redo the piping as well. When you rewire, you can add in CAT6 cables for faster internet connection.

rewire because..

1. If u got wire problems later, u gonna have ugly trunkings later on. (unless u dun mind trunkings)

2. Extensive reno, usually means hack walls, new walls, new layouts. Either way.. there will be wiring work done.

3. These days.. got wirless router/MIO/SCV broadband/openet.. these require new locations.. so wiring work required anyway.

4. Old wire may mean corrosion and result in less carrying capacity.. will heat up and potentially melt/start fire.

5. New lighting and aircon fixtures.. require a lot more points that old designs. need wiring work anyway.

Thanks for your advice.... Both electricians I spoke to seem reluctant to take on rewiring. 1 said have to pull & another said don't know where the wires might be running so will need some time to do the work.

I'm not hacking the 2nd floor parquet & with a timeline of 6 wks, guess is a challenge for them.