Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
sandywu

To Know Ur Id Better? Check With Hdb Website

Hi, all... Pardon me for saying, but I notice there are a large group of ppl in the forum asking and recommending, about renovation quotes, contractors, carpentery... etc

But have you guys check with the HDB website b4 employing the IDs or contractors? Whether if the company you guys are employing are actually HDB approved?

Probably this will be a pretty good website for u guys to refer.

http://www.hdb.gov.sg/bn25/isos118p.nsf/List%20by%20Company?OpenView&Start=121&Count=15&RestrictToCategory=A

Cheers :yamseng: :yamseng:

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Sandy, it seems like we can only tell if the contractor or ID is registered with HDB or not there. But can't tell if their service is good or not there, am I right?

Sandy, it seems like we can only tell if the contractor or ID is registered with HDB or not there. But can't tell if their service is good or not there, am I right?

Registered wif HDB, at least, u know that there is a place where u can complain isn't it? Anyway Established contractors without licence, would u wanna hired them, unless the company is really new? Like i say, know ur ID / contractor.

This is the Registration Criteria:

Please ensure that you satisfy the following registration criteria before submitting your application to HDB :

Applicant's company has to be registered with the Accounting and Corporate Regulatory Authority (ACRA) for a minimum period of ONE year and should have an unblemished records :thumbs up: ;

Applicant must possess THREE years experience in renovation works and must be actively involved in the renovation trade. For evaluation of the company's performance, applicant is required to submit FIVE invoices for renovation works with a total sum of not less than $50,000; and

Applicant must satisfy the HDB that his company has sufficient financial resources and has a proper staff establishment.

For Private Limited companies, the minimum paid up capital should be $30,000.

Neither applicant nor any partner/director of the company is an undischarged bankrupt and have criminal records or records of offences involving fraud and dishonesty.

There is this rule in the term of registration for the registered companies

http://www.hdb.gov.sg/fi10/fi10324p.nsf/w/RenoCntrctrRenoTerms?OpenDocument

37. Dispute with flat lessee

The Contractor shall use his best endeavours to settle any dispute with the flat lessee as regards the renovation work [eg. the pricing, work schedule, type and quality of the renovation work, etc] amicably, including taking initiatives to seek assistance from any mediation service providers. When seeking mediation, the Contractor shall notify the flat lessee and obtain his consent before proceeding to do so. Should the Contractor fail to show evidence of such an initiative, HDB reserves its right to take such appropriate action as it deems fit against the Contractor. - Then u'll know who to complain if the works really sucks,

Edited by sandywu

browing the website wont let u know the ID better also. the most u can know is they are or are not registered with hdb.

browing the website wont let u know the ID better also. the most u can know is they are or are not registered with hdb.

Well, put it this way, Take for example, ur ID is Plush Living. This are the detail

Section A : Renovation Contractor's Details

Registration No. : HB-11-3971D

Company Name : Plush Living Pte. Ltd.

Registered Holder's Name: Lim Boon Liong

Registration Date : 01 Nov 2009

Registration Expiry Date: 31 Oct 2013

Type of Works : Renovation only

At least u know that ur ID have been around for more than 4 yrs if they are registered(At least 1 yr wif ACRA). Wouldn't u have some security, that they will not be those run away type?

Imagine a company that paint u a nice story that it had been around for 4-5yrs, but they are not registered wif hdb, becoz of this, becoz of that, wouldn't u feel unsafe with this company? Esp when u need to give about >40% of ur deposit to that company b4 the work even start?

Knowing the ID/ contractor better is more like checking the background of the ID/ contractor firm, b4 employing them. Of coz there are another way to it, as in u can pay some $$, go to Acra website, buy the information of the renovation firm. But we dun need to go to tat extend.

The purpose of this post is to help new couples w/o any renovation exp, know a bit of the company, even if they are intro by our forum mates. A good thing for them is, "If the company is not registered" Try not to employ their service if possible, unless they are very sure of the workmanship. These are my 2 cents worth.

Here's an example of 1 of the "conned man" in the forum i guess.

http://www.renotalk.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=45738

Edited by sandywu

thanks for sharing sandy. actually to be honest if u dont post, i wont know the backgrd details also. im more of the cautious type, in fact before i signed with them.. i met my ID 7-8 times till i felt comfortable then i sign.

of cos i did went up their showroom etc. sometimes the backgrd details does help but its also more than just that. good info for ppl thats abt to go into renovation.

:):)

I see posting like ppl being conned, i also dun feel good. Esp when they wrote about their reno costing like $40k and above. All the hard earn money.

I see posting like ppl being conned, i also dun feel good. Esp when they wrote about their reno costing like $40k and above. All the hard earn money.

agree! i see dishonest id posting here also dun feel good.

just to add, hdb approve or not please do a simple forum and google search of the id firm name, id guy name and read reviews before paying! make an informed choice and do your homework :yamseng:

The HDB website on the list of approved contractors for renovating flats would show any demerit points.

However, it doesn't mean that those with a clean record are good & wouldn't give their clients headaches. As such, customers are recommended to be extra discerning when selecting a renovator for their homes. It's so sad to see the number of complaints being shared on stressful outcomes arising from unprofessional renovators. :(

The HDB website on the list of approved contractors for renovating flats would show any demerit points.

However, it doesn't mean that those with a clean record are good & wouldn't give their clients headaches. As such, customers are recommended to be extra discerning when selecting a renovator for their homes. It's so sad to see the number of complaints being shared on stressful outcomes arising from unprofessional renovators. :(

You are right, althought approved contractors, but at the end of the day still depends on luck. Approved HDB contractors doesn't mean they are good, just give a security that your money will not be conned, w/o the renovation being completed, i guess. If not can go and complain to HDB. :)

You are right, althought approved contractors, but at the end of the day still depends on luck. Approved HDB contractors doesn't mean they are good, just give a security that your money will not be conned, w/o the renovation being completed, i guess. If not can go and complain to HDB. :)

What I found out is that HDb only gets involved if the renovators have infringed or committed any breach against hdb's policies & guidelines on Reno eg hacking onto structural barrier.

If it is serious enough to warrant penalty, they get "rewarded" with demerit points which would then be reflected in hdb's website.

Actually many subcons don't own a HDb license but the license is provided by a main contractor or an ID firm whom they work for. So if the subcontractors messes things up, the party with the license gets whacked. :P

What I found out is that HDb only gets involved if the renovators have infringed or committed any breach against hdb's policies & guidelines on Reno eg hacking onto structural barrier.

If it is serious enough to warrant penalty, they get "rewarded" with demerit points which would then be reflected in hdb's website.

Actually many subcons don't own a HDb license but the license is provided by a main contractor or an ID firm whom they work for. So if the subcontractors messes things up, the party with the license gets whacked. :P

From wat i know from my ID, this webby give ppl who wanna employ ID, a bit of security. There are a lot of "contractors" pose ID, charge ID price do contractor works.

From wat i know from my ID, this webby give ppl who wanna employ ID, a bit of security. There are a lot of "contractors" pose ID, charge ID price do contractor works.

Hi, I don't mean to contradict what your ID has mentioned to u so I'm hoping that u wouldn't feel upset with what I am about to say. :)

Based on my experience, there are many levels of IDs in the renovation industry. They target at different markets & as such, one ID firm might have a clientele base with demographics that differs from another. e.g. those that accepts installment payments would have a totally different customer base from another which doesn't provide installment plans & targets mainly at higher-paying customers.

To cite an example, Nobel Design Holdings is a reputable top-notch ID firm which has already come that far to have their company listed & they are into niche marketing i.e. they only do renovation for private properties & are looking for a minimum down payment of say, $50k-$80k or more when we called them up for a quotation a couple of years ago. During those days, they have turned down renovation for HDB in a very polite & professional manner but I'm not sure how it is for them currently. They also offer internship & those who perform well during that short tenure might just get invited to join them upon graduation - not all ID firms offer internships.

And our relatives who had their homes renovated by Nobel Holdings paid more for their workmanship than design to cut corners as paying for the design is going to cost a huge bomb.

If u check with your ID, most of the ID firms would have their in-house carpenters who cut out carpentry based on their own in-house technologies (or if u like to call it "secret"). And I'm sure these carpenters who are their partners, would pick up selective assignments upon referrals outside the ID firms' domain. Chances are, it's not going to come cheaply & these accomplished carpenters who have attained the state-of-art in fabricating carpentry that aren't easily duplicated by their competitors, would be billing these external referrals a price that is a lot higher than say, mid-range ID firms (who target at mass markets). I would like to call this a competitive advantage which is why they could command such a high pricing in the industry.

The same applies for a contractor as there are many levels of them & all of them command different billing rates for works done.

As such, pricing varies. There are indeed contractors who charge a lot higher that renovators who call themselves IDs. And many of these so-called expensive contractors served as sub-contractors to ID firms who provide higher-end designing services where their clients pay for both designs & quality (workmanship).

So it really depends : A contractor can still charge higher than an ID if he has already earned that competitive advantage in his renovating business.

Edited by edenstrauss

Hi, I don't mean to contradict what your ID has mentioned to u so I'm hoping that u wouldn't feel upset with what I am about to say. :)

Based on my experience, there are many levels of IDs in the renovation industry. They target at different markets & as such, one ID firm might have a clientele base with demographics that differs from another. e.g. those that accepts installment payments would have a totally different customer base from another which doesn't provide installment plans & targets mainly at higher-paying customers.

To cite an example, Nobel Design Holdings is a reputable top-notch ID firm which has already come that far to have their company listed & they are into niche marketing i.e. they only do renovation for private properties & are looking for a minimum down payment of say, $50k-$80k or more when we called them up for a quotation a couple of years ago. During those days, they have turned down renovation for HDB in a very polite & professional manner but I'm not sure how it is for them currently. They also offer internship & those who perform well during that short tenure might just get invited to join them upon graduation - not all ID firms offer internships.

And our relatives who had their homes renovated by Nobel Holdings paid more for their workmanship than design to cut corners as paying for the design is going to cost a huge bomb.

If u check with your ID, most of the ID firms would have their in-house carpenters who cut out carpentry based on their own in-house technologies (or if u like to call it "secret"). And I'm sure these carpenters who are their partners, would pick up selective assignments upon referrals outside the ID firms' domain. Chances are, it's not going to come cheaply & these accomplished carpenters who have attained the state-of-art in fabricating carpentry that aren't easily duplicated by their competitors, would be billing these external referrals a price that is a lot higher than say, mid-range ID firms (who target at mass markets). I would like to call this a competitive advantage which is why they could command such a high pricing in the industry.

The same applies for a contractor as there are many levels of them & all of them command different billing rates for works done.

As such, pricing varies. There are indeed contractors who charge a lot higher that renovators who call themselves IDs. And many of these so-called expensive contractors served as sub-contractors to ID firms who provide higher-end designing services where their clients pay for both designs & quality (workmanship).

So it really depends : A contractor can still charge higher than an ID if he has already earned that competitive advantage in his renovating business.

Wat u had said, i totally agreed with u. Carpentery is about design, workmanship, technology and the material they used, I believed established contractor firm with their experience and excellent workmanships, they should be charging more. No doubt about it.

Established ID/ Contractors with their name being mention, ppl will already know. ie. Nobel Design Holding. No asking needed. Anyone that were to walk into established company like Nobel, they will not questioned a single thing about the company.

But usually those ppl that come to RT, a lot of them have zero knowledge about renovation. the first things they asked is, "Is this xxx ID firm good, Is my quotation being overcharged." This is something which i had observed.

My intension of this post is more for the individual to check if their IDs/ contractors are HDB registered, To know if their IDs/ Contractors are not boasting about their company being in this field for 10-20yr, only to know that the company had just only registered in 2012 with HDB. After reading about the scammed renovation company in the forum, i thought maybe i can help to let ppl know, do some background check with the ID/contractors firms b4 wasting their hard earned $$ into some scammer's pocket. :)