Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
jojo11

Transparent Tempered Glass On Wall Between Kitchen And Dining Room

Hi, I am new here, and start reading posts here after bought my 5 rooms unit not long ago. Thanks for all sharing in the forum, they are useful!

Currently I am discussing with my ID on the kitchen part, thinking to hack part of upper half of the wall between kitchen and dining room (not entire upper half but just part of it at the middle), and replace it with transparent tempered glass. The tempered glass will then become the kitchen backsplash.

The ID tells me it will make the kitchen looks brighter and bigger. Not sure if anyone has the same design for their kitchen, can you share with me any picture showing the end product?

I cannot imagine the final result of the project, maybe anyone here can share with me your thoughts on that? I am also thinking to make it a sliding windows with tempered glass, with bar table at the dining room side. So we can close the windows whenever we are cooking, and use it as bar when we are not.

Thanks in advance!

Join 46,923 satisfied homeowners who used renotalk quotation service to find interior designers. Get an estimated quotation

Do you cook heavily or are you planning to have kids? for family with kids I don't advice to have this kind of design. Is your kitchen really dark that you require this? For me I use tempered glass door for my kitchen entrance door, but not backsplash

Do you cook heavily or are you planning to have kids? for family with kids I don't advice to have this kind of design. Is your kitchen really dark that you require this? For me I use tempered glass door for my kitchen entrance door, but not backsplash

Not so heavy i think, maybe 3-4 times per week + some light cooking... Kids wise yes, but maybe another few more years. Why is it not advisable if with kids, if is because of safety issue?

Well, the kitchen is really dark. the previous owner will have to turn on light whenever they are in the kitchen, even with the kitchen door is opened. They suggested us to change the whole set of cabinet to white, but the ID told me that can only help a bit.

I am a bit concern with the tempered glass as backsplash, at the same time I am not sure if the design will look good or not, do you think it will turn put as a food court carrot cake stall in my house? haha...

Will it be better if i make it a tempered glass sliding windows?

Hi jojo11

I think you can refer to my t-blog. It has a picture of my kitchen with backsplash. The concept should be the same. HTH

Hi jojo11

I think you can refer to my t-blog. It has a picture of my kitchen with backsplash. The concept should be the same. HTH

Thanks chynaho and congratulations!

I finish reading your t-blog, it is so useful and i was enjoy reading it. i think your concept is a bit different compare to mine. I am thinking to hack upper half of the kitchen wall and replace it with transparent tempered glass. At the same time the glass with be the backsplash as the hob and hood are just behind the wall.

Hi jojo,

I get what you mean as I am also planning to do the same for my new flat. However, for me, i am taking a slightly different approach to have a little concrete wall on the top to be used to mount a cabinet or just to cover the "chimney" for the hood.

What is your concern about tempered glass backsplash?

IMO, I won't suggest having a sliding window because of 2 reasons:

1. I believe that your sliding window will have frame and there will be rubber to hold on to the sliding window panels. Heat and rubber are not best friends. It will cause the rubber to harden.

2. There will be sliding tracks and having it near a cooking area, oil residual is definitely going to be trapped in the tracks and that will be difficult to clean.

Just my thoughts.

I'm still trying to find out if it will be ok to do tempered glass for that area as I am concerned of the heat. But then, looking at those foodstalls with tempered glass kitchen, it might not be an issue if the right material is chosen.

The immediate drawback I can think of is that this will require almost immediate cleaning to maintain a good look after every cooking session.

Hi jojo,

I get what you mean as I am also planning to do the same for my new flat. However, for me, i am taking a slightly different approach to have a little concrete wall on the top to be used to mount a cabinet or just to cover the "chimney" for the hood.

What is your concern about tempered glass backsplash?

IMO, I won't suggest having a sliding window because of 2 reasons:

1. I believe that your sliding window will have frame and there will be rubber to hold on to the sliding window panels. Heat and rubber are not best friends. It will cause the rubber to harden.

2. There will be sliding tracks and having it near a cooking area, oil residual is definitely going to be trapped in the tracks and that will be difficult to clean.

Just my thoughts.

I'm still trying to find out if it will be ok to do tempered glass for that area as I am concerned of the heat. But then, looking at those foodstalls with tempered glass kitchen, it might not be an issue if the right material is chosen.

The immediate drawback I can think of is that this will require almost immediate cleaning to maintain a good look after every cooking session.

My idea it to keep partial of the upper wall as well, so is like hacking a rectangular shape on the wall and replace with a tempered glass, i think will be same as your concept. By doing that i have to dismantling the cabinets mounted at upper, because they are kind of big, and no way for hiding them behind the leftover wall portion, unless the glass is very small.

My concern is same as yours, the cleaning part. I keep checking on the food court tempered glass backsplash, and also other similar tempered glass design at those furniture and electronic shops, they are just so dirty and look oily. I think the design will be better if the wall is at the side with sink but not hob and hood. I can't find any photo which same as what i want, but found something similar, maybe you are interested to know more:

A Simple Place @ Bedok =)

Eventually I decided not to hack the wall, but to change the cabinet color and add more lights instead, and leave the open concept kitchen project to later part. Well, budget still the main constraint...

But i hope those who are interested in this topic can continue contributing and discussing here, to enlighten who ever want to know more, like me. I will keep reading, and hopefully one i can start my big project and include this design... :unsure:

Guest Vicki Goh

Hi all..

I am planning this for new house what is the total cost for hacking and glass?