Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
Minerat

Journey Of My Minaret Walk

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

Day 45 (25 Sep 2012)

Parquet was done today. They put up a barrier to prevent ppl from going up the stairs. Who will anyway? The fume is enough to drive me to tears!

It's drawing closer and closer to the completion. ID said he can handover on the morning of 27 Sep. I hardly see how that is possible given the work still outstanding

1. Kitchen backsplash not installed

2. By virtue of 1, switches in kitchen also not installed

3. Carpentry not complete. A lot of touch ups still required. There is also an issue with the bulbs they have to resolve.

4. Spray on the rockstone effect on front porch area that they plastered instead previously.

5. Last coat of paint yet to be done

6. Final washing before handover

I failed to see how all these can be completed in one day tomorrow. But my ID seems confident. I hope he doesn't fail me, though I have allowed him 27th as a contingency. But my furniture starts arriving on 28 Sep, so no more extension already.

Edited by Minerat

Day 45 (25 Sep 2012)

Parquet was done today. They put up a barrier to prevent ppl from going up the stairs. Who will anyway? The fume is enough to drive me to tears!

It's drawing closer and closer to the completion. ID said he can handover on the morning of 27 Sep. I hardly see how that is possible given the work still outstanding

1. Kitchen backsplash not installed

2. By virtue of 1, switches in kitchen also not installed

3. Carpentry not complete. A lot of touch ups still required. There is also an issue with the bulbs they have to resolve.

4. Spray on the rockstone effect on front porch area that they plastered instead previously.

5. Last coat of paint yet to be done

6. Final washing before handover

I failed to see how all these can be completed in one day tomorrow. But my ID seems confident. I hope he doesn't fail me, though I have allowed him 27th as a contingency. But my furniture starts arriving on 28 Sep, so no more extension already.

LUN A FEW MORE DAYS!! 8|

Day 46 (26 Sep 2012)

Can almost see the finishing line already! Painters were in since morning to complete the last coat. Carpenters also in to do touchups. Cleaner worked almost 12 hours! Only hiccup is that backsplash came very late, so electricians still have to come in tomorrow. But everything is ready for move in already :sport-smiley-004:

Tomorrow my turn to do my own cleaning before welcoming the furniture deliveries :dancingqueen:

Not to forget taking pictures also :yamseng:

Edited by Minerat

Day 46 (26 Sep 2012)

Can almost see the finishing line already! Painters were in since morning to complete the last coat. Carpenters also in to do touchups. Cleaner worked almost 12 hours! Only hiccup is that backsplash came very late, so electricians still have to come in tomorrow. But everything is ready for move in already :sport-smiley-004:

Tomorrow my turn to do my own cleaning before welcoming the furniture deliveries :dancingqueen:

Not to forget taking pictures also :yamseng:

BRAVO!! :dribble:

Hi there! Congrats on e completion of ur Reno!!! Hope to see e photos soon..

Can I chk with ya, for Donny n James team, do I contact Donny or James directly? I rem Donny is e co-ordinator from mae29's EM reno.. Shortlisted him for quite awhile le.. Hehehe.. Gonna contact em for a quote soon cos juz exercised OTP for our resale flat..

We probably did not spend as much time choosing an ID as we would have wanted to. Time is a luxury we cannot afford to waste when we are working adults with 2 young children. We were quite torn initially on whether to go for an ID or a contractor. We knew what we wanted done, but yet we would also appreciate a creative or design element to enhance our house.

Our first stop was the Home Decor Fair at the Singapore Expo. One designer from One Design Werkz really interested us very much. We really felt the chemistry with her and felt the designs in her portfolios were very much a style pleasing to our eyes. We went back the next day and spent a fair amount of time to go through our requirements with her. To be frank, we were prepared to go with her. But right after we have discussed, she dropped a big bombshell - she wanted us to signup and pay a deposit of $3K first before she will do anything. And I mean ANYTHING! I was flabbergasted! Is she seriously expecting us to commit ourselves without even a quotation for us? On top of that, she was very reluctant when asked to show us some of her works. She was always trying to tell us to sign up so that she can start designing for us. Everything else is secondary. Needless to say, we walked away.

I also started reading Renotalk and tried contacting some of the IDs or contractors highly recommended. Most did not even revert to me. Guess the value of my renovation is too small for them. There was also an ID recommended by a friend. After giving us a quotation, he "disappeared". There wasn't any followup, none, zilch...WOW! Not even a call to check if we are ok with the quotation. Is this how the world of ID works?

It was then that OnTheRoad recommended me to her ID, Donny and James from Summit Design. I've also read alot of positive reviews about Summit from this forum. I contacted them, and the rest, as they've said, is history. We signed up with Summit Design on 12 Jun 2012. From the beginning, Donny and James were very prompt to our requests and requirements. More importantly, they showed a genuiune interest in our house. This is a very big contrast to some IDs who provided quotations but no followups thereafter. Or some contractors who basically just tell us they can do everything but not really showing us what they can do for us. We are happy to have gotten that out of the way now... :)

Hi there! Congrats on e completion of ur Reno!!! Hope to see e photos soon..

Can I chk with ya, for Donny n James team, do I contact Donny or James directly? I rem Donny is e co-ordinator from mae29's EM reno.. Shortlisted him for quite awhile le.. Hehehe.. Gonna contact em for a quote soon cos juz exercised OTP for our resale flat..

I think contact both also can bah.

Day 47 (27 Sep 2012)

Finally, after 47 working days (discounting Sundays and Public Holidays), the house is handed back over to me. After a series of touchups throughout the day, I finally signed the handover form at around 8pm. :notti::deal:

Still must praise my ID abit even though handed over. Refer to picture below...hehehe

pic000329.jpg

Today was the first time I've seen the dry kitchen T5 lighted up because the switches were only installed today as the backsplash came in very late yesterday. So I remarked to Donny that with the lights shining up, can see the top part of the wall plastered very badly. It looks quite unsightly. For me, it was more a passing remark, and I didn't really give it another thought. I also told him it's okay with me.

When I reached home, Donny called me and said he will arrange for the carpenter to come down and put up laminate along that top wall, so that it will look nice! Can't believe got such good ID in Singapore! Hahahaha. House handed over already, money collected already and he stills takes it upon himself to make sure client is 100% satisfied. :bow::good:

Stay tuned for the next few days while I gather my thoughts and share a bit more about my ID team, learning points and of course PICTURES!!! :seeya: