Find Professionals    Deals    Get Quotations   Portfolios
Sign in to follow this  
dragonnite

To Hack Or Not To Hack ?

I've currently bought a 4R resale and want to replace the tiles in the living room and kitchen. Currently considering whether to hack and replace or just overlay.

Since I'm a noob, would value and appreciate any opinions on whether I should hack or not ?

Thx v much !

Looking for good contractors? Click here for your request

I've currently bought a 4R resale and want to replace the tiles in the living room and kitchen. Currently considering whether to hack and replace or just overlay.

Since I'm a noob, would value and appreciate any opinions on whether I should hack or not ?

Thx v much !

hmmm... hacking and replacing definitely cost much more than overlaying. Overlaying of tiles depends on the condition of the existing tiles and how old are the existing tiles, especially for resales. More >10 years then i would suggest to hack and replace with new cement and tiles.

But we also will never know when the tiles are gonna pop :seeya: ~ this will depend on the tiler workmanship and also environment liao.

Hope this helps.

:yamseng: ,

Mike

hey mike,

thx for ur reply. yeah, i'm worried about the popping bit as well, so that's y i'm seriously considering hacking, even though it costs more.

do u (or anyone else for that matter) have a rough feel of how much more expensive it is ? I looked at some of the quotations posted by some of the other forum ppl and e.g. hacking the kitchen itself is in the hundreds - which is not that bad, considering tiling the same area is in the 1.5K range.

paying that few hundreds is probably worth it, from a peace of mind perspective ? unless the numbers posted are way off ?

hey dragonnite,

You're welcome.

hmmm... if you are juz talking about the kitchen floor tiles cost will be at least 1k more? (include hacking as overlay no need hack)

yupz laying of floor tiles around that range but gotta see if the tiles are included as well. :D

If you are thinking of laying wall tiles then it will add another cost lo. :dribble:

Hmmm i would say worth it ba... not to forget kitchen also need water proofing then dunno if the existing water proofing still okays anot.

Actually you can check with the previous owner when is the last time he did renovation. That will probably help you on deciding as well, whether to hack or not. :thumbs up:

Mike

actually hor, the flat i'm buying was completed in 2005, so about 7 years old. kitchen floor and wall tiles were from HDB. the whole footprint is very light - the former owners confessed they've never cooked in the kitchen before !

so that's why i :dunno: and scratch head...and the whole reason why i gotta chg the floor tiles is cos of fengshui - the colour is wrong. and i'm not planning on the kitchen wall tiles ! ;)

btw 1.5K that i saw in quotations probably didn't include the tile costs rite ?

7 years still okays ba... somemore they never cook (honest couple lol) hahaz :sport-smiley-004:

oh no wonder you wanna change... fengshui this kind of thing better listen since already know liao. :good:

hmmm then i might have another qn for you to ponder over... Do you intend to stay for long over at your new place? like more than 5 years? If yes then maybe its better to hack lo...

Yupz i reckon the 1.5k excludes the tile costs. That's what i usually do as well cuz tile prices can vary alot... from $3psf to maybe $10psf or even $15psf. :dribble: hahaz

Edited by mikeyong500

May I ask how much will it cost to :

1. Hack one side of a storeroom wall

2. Hack a built in wardrobe

Will our tiles be demaged if walls are being hacked?

Hi Chris,

Total cost of the hacking probably from $500 to $800 ba. Usually my hacking quote comes in a lump sum cuz the more the hacking the cheaper it is :) It's the same everywhere la. The more you buy, the cheaper the cost per item.

Yes, very high chance the floor tiles will be damaged. Do note when the wall is hacked the space which the wall took up will not have any tiles. Oh and also you have to add in the cost to make good finish for the surrounding hacked wall. Probably around another $200 to $400 ba.

Hope this helps.

Mike

i was charge $500 to hack Kitchen and $300 for toilet. My ID advice not to hack in order to save cost. Finally go with over laying, hope all goes well....

i was charge $500 to hack Kitchen and $300 for toilet. My ID advice not to hack in order to save cost. Finally go with over laying, hope all goes well....

$500 to hack whole kitchen floor, wall tiles plus existing kitchen cabinets? That's reasonable. $300 for toilet sounds okays too. Save cost? Hmmm actually the only difference in cost is the hacking cost... Cuz labour is the same. cost of material might be slightly cheaper for overlaying (less material). So add all up maybe a difference of $1k for a brand new kitchen so actually i would recommend to hack and redo :)

Anywayz do take note overlaying increase the height, so muz watch out for the existing doors if any trimming required. (Kitchen should be okays.) And there is no guarantee when the existing tiles will pop :seeya: (Did your ID give you any warranty on that? Probably not right?)

Hope everything goes smooth and well for you! :good:

Mike

hi all,

hacking to get what you really want is worthwhile for a reasonable fee.

esp if you have doubts about the current floor and layout, my advice is to hack it. as compared to a furniture that you can replace anytime.

hacking is a really messy business, better to get it over and done with early, see here

the rational is: after you have done all the other works eg carpentry, painting, build-in cabinet over the "distasteful" floor and layout, it will be too late to change your mind. chances are, you will probably regret for the rest of your time while staying there, wishing you had chosen that ideal floor tile and layout( and was also within comfortable means). however, do try to confirm what you really want, eg fengshui requirements, storage space, type of application, design theme etc. in this way, you will be very clear why you are paying for the hacking. my wife and i spent some effort on the preparation here

however, we did regret not hacking the common toilet to save some money. that is why i can share this experience with you.

for some sharing on our floor tile selection, see here